Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Feel so stupid and like I should cancel the check--edit--small update**update in replies**

This may get long...sorry in advance
We lost our beloved golden on Christmas. At first we weren't going to get another dog right away, but our other golden is very lonely and so is my hubby...he misses his dog. After searching for a few days we found someone in our price range. She said she wasn't good with computers so she didn't know how to use PayPal so I said I would send her a check. She is 2 hours a way so we wouldn't be able to visit before picking up the dog. She really sounded for real. She said she would send pics Monday night. She called back later and said her son was going out and he would send them Tuesday. Tuesday I didn't get anything. I called her and she said they were working on it. She still seemed sincere though. Never got pictures. I sent her a text telling her she could text the pics since email clearly wasn't working. She sends a text back saying it won't let her. I sent her one back asking her to try my husbands # still nothing. That was yesterday evening. The check is already out and should have arrived today if not tomorrow. I asked her to call once she got it, but I'm really feeling like we got scammed. She had many pics online of the same dog and talking to her she had so many details. I have checked her out...her name and address are legit. Should I give her a few more days or start worrying?

Just to clarify to everyone who keeps asking why didnt you pay for the dogwhen you get it? Every single breeder i have talked to requires a deposit to hold the dog...not just her. It is common practice. We gave her a DEPOSIT...not full payment. We already have a date scheduled to pick up the dog...feb. 2nd. I spoke with her today and she is going to send pics tonight. If i dont receive them by tomorrow, we are going to cancel payment and look elsewhere.

UPDATE: she called today and asked if i had FB. I added her and got pics of all the pups plus she emailed me one of just our puppy. I am feeling much better about the situation now.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Please consider rescuing a dog in the future.  There are so many dogs out there who need homes.  I'm sure if you check, there is a golden rescue somewhere close to you.  Sometimes they even have puppies.  It will cost less and will give a dog a home. 

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Please consider rescuing a dog in the future.  There are so many dogs out there who need homes.  I'm sure if you check, there is a golden rescue somewhere close to you.  Sometimes they even have puppies.  It will cost less and will give a dog a home. 

I have contacted many shelters. They all said they hardly ever have puppies. Also, goldens are hard to find in my area apparently.

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I don't know if you can cancel check right now? But I would never send someone a check I met on internet. I would also notify police. Y'all should have adopted pet humane society
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
adrosie08
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting adrosie08:

I completely understand that. We have four kids and my family, I clearly remember going to visit our dog at the breeders before actually getting to take our girl home. It might be worth it just to see! 

Well she is communicating more today so i am going to give her the benefit. She did say she works a lot which i understand. She told me today that today is her last day of her long work stretch so she will send pics. If i dont hear from her by tomorrow afternoon, i will be stopping payment.

Hope she comes through! big smile mini

coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Sounds like how I got scammed out of a brand new laptop as a teen ...around Christmas time. Sounds like such a scam. Especially the Paypal thing. These scammers know how to sound convincing.

coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Please don't fall for or. In the scam I told you about in my last post they would say that she's a working mom and busy and wants to give the computer to her son for the holidays and since it was on eBay she said she would give me seven hundred just to hold it.My dad felt like it was a scam and I was a dumb term who didn't listen. I went to USPS spent 80 to ship it to Nigeria. I emailed the lady and got a strange response and googled Nigerian scams and sure enough I saw hundreds of people like me. I was devastated. That was the first time I could ever afford a laptop and just wanted to sell it got my daughters first Christmas, thank goodness I'm older and smarter now. The point of this post... Google dog breeder scams.

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting adrosie08:

I completely understand that. We have four kids and my family, I clearly remember going to visit our dog at the breeders before actually getting to take our girl home. It might be worth it just to see! 

Well she is communicating more today so i am going to give her the benefit. She did say she works a lot which i understand. She told me today that today is her last day of her long work stretch so she will send pics. If i dont hear from her by tomorrow afternoon, i will be stopping payment.
Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Well we will see. This is only the next state away...not a different country. I have kept good records so i will have no problem suing if she doesnt come through. I am giving her til monday morning. The check was sent on wednesday so even with the holiday mail, she should have received the check by yesterday. I am givong her the benefit of it coming today. If i dont hear from her today, im going to the bank monday morning to stop payment.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Quoting hopealways4019:

I don't know if you can cancel check right now? But I would never send someone a check I met on internet. I would also notify police. Y'all should have adopted pet humane society

We did contact shelters. They said they rarely have puppies. I dont want a rescue dog...they often come with a lot of issues. Some people can handle that, some people cant. We are the type of people that cant take on the risk of a dog with a lot of issues. My MIL rescued a pup and spent 4 grand in surgeries and he still has issues. He bites people because of the abuse he suffered. I have small kids, i cant take the risk.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Why don't go drive tomorrow to visit the lady and see the puppy?

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Cancel the check! Even if you don't intend to, ask what day and time you can visit the puppies. Ask for the info of the vet she uses and at least three references. Reputable breeders will not hesitate to give you that info. Also, does she say bless you and require the puppy to go in a Christian home and stuff like that a lot? I've noticed scammers say that a lot.

We live in WA and bought our cat from a breeder in NC. You wouldn't believe the number of scammers out there, but once you know what to look for, it makes spotting them easy. Luckily I had a lot of help from reputable breeders, and never fell for a.scammer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)