Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do you think about banning bottled water?

Posted by   + Show Post

Banning Bottled Water Is a Brilliant Move

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 3, 2013

bottles of waterUpon walking into a grocery store these days, we think nothing of seeing shelves and shelves, walls upon walls of bottled water. And many of us -- whether we're proud to admit it or not -- find ourselves schlepping said water bottles home on a regular basis. But this is a practice that recently came to a halt in one Northeast community. The historic town of Concord, Massachusetts has enacted a ban on the sale of single-serving plastic water bottles (of one liter or less), after a town meeting vote in April.

They're one of the first towns in the U.S. to make the bottles illegal. And yes, what they've done sounds pretty extreme -- but only at first.

Ultimately, it sounds like a brilliant idea -- and a step in the right direction, much like what Starbucks did today by offering customers a $1 reusable plastic tumbler. And I believe that, as local Concord activists have stated, banning the bottles will cut down on plastic waste and reduce the use of the fossil fuels used to make the bottles.

All right, confession time: I am ashamed -- yes, that's right, ashamed! -- to admit I do buy bottled water. I'm afraid of the known, reported toxins in our town's water. I have health conditions that could be exacerbated by certain pollutants, like heavy metals, or additives, like fluoride. On account of some of my health concerns, I also strive to be more alkaline so I buy higher pH, less acidic water. If my fiance and I owned our own home right now, we would have already installed one of those fancy water filtering systems. But we don't, so we're waiting, and I buy water in the meantime. And it's horrible, I know. But at least I buy the biggest bottles I can -- not the little guys Concord has outlawed.

So maybe I'm currently a total hypocrite, fine. But I still feel like any effort to reduce plastic waste is a good move. I try to make up for my bottled water consumption by refusing to accept plastic bags and always bringing my reusable bags to shop. I love that Seattle has a plastic bag ban, and I hope that spreads east. And Concord's got the right idea -- there really is no reason for these teensy weensy water bottles especially. (The mini ones that are like two sips worth drive me nuts!)

In the end, we'll adjust, adapt, bring our own bags to the store, and start using water filters and stainless steel water bottles. The bottom line is that when it comes to some of these items that are straight-up wasteful, it really is so easy to do away with them -- we'd be fools not to.

What do you think about banning bottled water?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
Marimaru
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

If they want to step in and ban bottled water, then they need to step in on the water companies and demand that the tap water is cleaner.  I live in a place where I am fine with a brita, or the water filter in my fridge, but I have lived places where those things aren't good enough to make the water taste like anything you want to drink.

CarolinaGirl88
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Sounds like it could be a good idea to me. I don't really get why so many people buy bottled water on a regular basis, and I'm talking about people like in my family who have filtered water at home and could easily just fill up a reusable bottle rather than always having to buy water. I can see it if you live in an area where the tap water isn't good quality, but for all the people I know who buy water regularly that's not the case. The only time that I buy water is if I have to, like on long road trips, but even then I start refilling the bottles with tap water once it runs out. For me personally, I just think it's kind of dumb to spend money on more water if you already have a good source of it that you're paying for at home.

Lorissa11
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I used to love love love bottled water. I still do, but I don't buy it unless im traveling a long way. Now we go to a spring and fill up re-usable  bottles and the two gallon jugs for drinking and cooking with. When I don't want to drive all the way to the spring I just use the filtered water in a glass out of the refridgerator. 

LittlePistol87
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Bottled water isn't even good for you. It made my daughter dehydrated how sad it that. I think banning all of it until they stop adding stuff to the water would be sufficient even though there banning it because of the plastic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

How did that happen?

Quoting LittlePistol87:

Bottled water isn't even good for you. It made my daughter dehydrated how sad it that. I think banning all of it until they stop adding stuff to the water would be sufficient even though there banning it because of the plastic.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Can you tell us what it's about?

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Not because of the environment but because of the health factor. It's so unhealthy, just watch "tapped" on Netflix,

do11face
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I understand the reason behind it but at the same time if I'm out and about and thirsty for water what do I do? lol.

I actually don't buy them very often but I do recycle the bottles.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

MISSING THE POINT PEOPLE!  Governement regulating this,  -  WRONG WRONG WRONG.  How about we stop expecting the government be our nanny, and make them go back to doing the job they were originally meant to do.  We have turned into the biggest bunch of goober heads. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I think it's a great idea. I got myself and all of my co-workers re-useable cups for Christmas so that we could stop brining bottled water into work.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Shoot, we used to drink out of the stinking hose.  When did people decide that tap water was so awful?  I'd be willing to bet that bottled water came from someone filling those bottles up from a tap, and selling to to people willing to buy just about anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)