Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do you think about banning bottled water?

Posted by   + Show Post

Banning Bottled Water Is a Brilliant Move

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 3, 2013

bottles of waterUpon walking into a grocery store these days, we think nothing of seeing shelves and shelves, walls upon walls of bottled water. And many of us -- whether we're proud to admit it or not -- find ourselves schlepping said water bottles home on a regular basis. But this is a practice that recently came to a halt in one Northeast community. The historic town of Concord, Massachusetts has enacted a ban on the sale of single-serving plastic water bottles (of one liter or less), after a town meeting vote in April.

They're one of the first towns in the U.S. to make the bottles illegal. And yes, what they've done sounds pretty extreme -- but only at first.

Ultimately, it sounds like a brilliant idea -- and a step in the right direction, much like what Starbucks did today by offering customers a $1 reusable plastic tumbler. And I believe that, as local Concord activists have stated, banning the bottles will cut down on plastic waste and reduce the use of the fossil fuels used to make the bottles.

All right, confession time: I am ashamed -- yes, that's right, ashamed! -- to admit I do buy bottled water. I'm afraid of the known, reported toxins in our town's water. I have health conditions that could be exacerbated by certain pollutants, like heavy metals, or additives, like fluoride. On account of some of my health concerns, I also strive to be more alkaline so I buy higher pH, less acidic water. If my fiance and I owned our own home right now, we would have already installed one of those fancy water filtering systems. But we don't, so we're waiting, and I buy water in the meantime. And it's horrible, I know. But at least I buy the biggest bottles I can -- not the little guys Concord has outlawed.

So maybe I'm currently a total hypocrite, fine. But I still feel like any effort to reduce plastic waste is a good move. I try to make up for my bottled water consumption by refusing to accept plastic bags and always bringing my reusable bags to shop. I love that Seattle has a plastic bag ban, and I hope that spreads east. And Concord's got the right idea -- there really is no reason for these teensy weensy water bottles especially. (The mini ones that are like two sips worth drive me nuts!)

In the end, we'll adjust, adapt, bring our own bags to the store, and start using water filters and stainless steel water bottles. The bottom line is that when it comes to some of these items that are straight-up wasteful, it really is so easy to do away with them -- we'd be fools not to.

What do you think about banning bottled water?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Nope we use it a ton in the summer on vacations and places that water isn't readily available to refill.  The rest of the year we use refillable. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The government isn't all bad. And how do you know that the residents of Concord didn't start this? I used to live in a town that would not allow any 'fast food' restaurants in, due to the trash and garbage they generate. Now I live in a state where you can not get take-out food in a container that has BPA in it. Sometimes the 'government' has the right idea. And usually it's started by the residents.

Quoting GertieK:

MISSING THE POINT PEOPLE!  Governement regulating this,  -  WRONG WRONG WRONG.  How about we stop expecting the government be our nanny, and make them go back to doing the job they were originally meant to do.  We have turned into the biggest bunch of goober heads. 

ktp111
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

i don't think it is a question of our freedom in this case, but I do think the earth has  to be taken care of also. If there is an idea out theres such as different water bottles or at least not as many of them it should be looked at. I buy bottles water on long trips into the city and disgard of them in garbage cans, where then they will be taken care of. Recycling them, sounds like a good idea and i think it is not so much of what the govenrment is doing , but ot could be something for  the better in this case.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I regulary purchas bottled water...about4 bottles a month. When done with them...I mwash and refill.

lucsch
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I've always thought bottled water was stupid and wasteful.

littlelamb303
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

water bottles are convenient for me because I am diabetic and need to keep hydrated all the time, including when I am at work.  Also, because I have always pushed water on my dd, that is ALL she drinks, no soda, juice of anything else.  I do not agree with this. Without the bottles, I would not have anything to replace my water with when I work or if I am somewhere else and I do not want to drink tap. Also, the day I fillled by tub and came back to a tea color water in my bath, and was told they working on the system, seriously turned me off to tap water.  I am not 100% sure my tap water is safe anyway. People claim bottled water is the same as tap, I am not so sure.  I can tell the difference when drinking tap and drinking from the bottle.

littlelamb303
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Quoting LittlePistol87:

Bottled water isn't even good for you. It made my daughter dehydrated how sad it that. I think banning all of it until they stop adding stuff to the water would be sufficient even though there banning it because of the plastic.

it made your dd dehydrated????????????????????????????????????????

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Yea, I asked that too, and didn't get a response. Sounds a little bizarre to me.

Quoting littlelamb303:
Quoting LittlePistol87:

Bottled water isn't even good for you. It made my daughter dehydrated how sad it that. I think banning all of it until they stop adding stuff to the water would be sufficient even though there banning it because of the plastic.

it made your dd dehydrated????????????????????????????????????????

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Do what they did with soda bottles-and what some states have done already -put a nickel deposit on each bottle. Problem solved.

GaleJ
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We live in Chicago and have Lake Michigan water as our water source. Its quality is quite high, it tastes fine, and we do not use bottled water nor do we filter our water in our home. The only thing that might be a problem for some people is that our water is a bit hard and frankly I prefer it that way. Since almost all of the near in suburbs take their water from Lake Michigan there really is no health reason to buy water except for those with some sort of special circumstance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)