Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your a idiot

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

UNTIL six years ago, idiots couldn't vote in New Jersey. (Given my home state's politics, this may come as a surprise.) "Idiot", a term inserted into New Jersey's constitution in 1844, referred to mental illness or incapacity. "Idiots" were denied suffrage. The word was replaced with more politic language in 2007. That section of the constitution now reads: "No person who has been adjudicated by a court of competent jurisdiction to lack the capacity to understand the act of voting shall enjoy the right of suffrage." Similar effect, different words.

Richard Codey, the then-president of the state senate, called the persistence of "idiot" in New Jersey's constitution "a disgrace" and inconveniently vague. The constitutions of Arkansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, New Mexico and Ohio still refer to "idiots". In 2010, a law replaced the terms "mental retardation", "mentally retarded", "idiot" and "feebleminded" in New Jersey's statutes with "intellectual disability" and "developmental disability".

This week, the New Jersey General Assembly returned to finish the job. The assembly unanimously approved a bill that will, among other things, remove the terms "lunatic", "insane", "unsound mind", and "incompetent" from state statutes and replace those words with different, more carefully worded language. The New Jersey Senate will now consider the bill. It's likely to pass.

The present bill emerged out of the findings of a state commission on law revision. The report is careful, singling out only the instances of terms like "insane" and "unsound mind" that are clearly pejorative, leaving intact certain usages—in criminal statutes, for example—where they carry specific meanings. In one document, the commission writes that removing the phrase "vegetative state" is unnecessary, since it's a "medical term of art" and finding replacement language would be too difficult. But they're clear about other, less artful terms.

The bill will purge the state's statutes of archaic language that has become pejorative, but New Jersey's mentally disabled population might also benefit from clearer, not just kinder language. Words like "idiot" and "lunatic" are hardly terms of art. Their replacements are specially defined. Valerie Vanieri Huttle, the sponsoring legislator, said of the bill, "Removing these offensive terms from our statutes will hopefully reduce the stigma associated with mental health conditions and shift the focus to recovery." That is, perhaps, until the euphemism treadmill makes today's polite words tomorrow's schoolyard taunts. Then the language may have to change yet again.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

OK I did not read your post because I am laughing to hard over the title of it !  You're not your  HAAHAHAHAHHAAAAA

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Idiot savant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting lucky2Beeme:

OK I did not read your post because I am laughing to hard over the title of it !  You're not your  HAAHAHAHAHHAAAAA

I thought it might attract the sort of pendant who'd enjoy hanging around this sort of post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM
4 moms liked this

"You're an idiot"!   Get grammatically correct!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Get grammatically correct!

Is "Get grammatically correct!" a grammatically correct injunction?

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Nice way to look as if you are doing something to actually further the understanding of mental illness without actually doing anyhthing. Our tax dollars at work

Sugardreamkiss
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

You're*****

willyworm
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

roflmao.

kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM
You're an
Not your a

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the irony of the title with the actual content of the post is being lost on anyone who isn't actually taking time to read and understand what the article is about. The OP is being ironic, she posted the title to look incorrect on purpose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)