Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My poor dh...

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

He's a water treatment operator. He drives around to different water plants and sewer plants all day, doing various things like checking ph, making sure the water coming out of the sewer plants is relatively clean, cleaning grates that get clogged with maxi pads that people flush down the toilets, diapers, tampons, other disgusting things, adding HGH (bleach) powder to the water, which often blows back at him, getting on his skin and causing chemical burns and sometimes breathing it in, which he calls getting 'gassed'.

To make matters worse, it's really cold and rainy today. The weather forcast has called for 24 hours of rain, wind and thunderstorms, which not only means he has to be cold and wet all day, but also his boss has declared that everyone has to be on call for the next two days to deal with potential problems from the storm. Usually he is on call for one week out of every three, and can get called to go to work at ANY time, day or night. If someone calls at 2 am to say their water looks a bit yellow, he has to go out right away to flush the fire hydrants, (that usually fixes the problem). If an alarm goes off at a plant, he has to go see what's wrong, endangering his own safety if it might actually be theives or vandals, and he's of course not allowed to bring a gun with him in case it IS an armed criminal, so he'd be defenseless,  and the plant won't call an actual cop unless they confirm it's a break in and not the wind, or an animal or something else that could make the alarm go off.

As much as I sometimes complain about how lazy he can be around the house, I really do admire how hard he works when he is at work, and I feel so bad for him on days like today. Although it still amazes me that he's not bothered by all the raw sewage he has to deal with at work, but he gets totally grossed out and doesn't know how to handle it when the baby has a poopy diaper, lol. Go figure.

Really, I know someone is bound to say something like, "Well, that's the career he chose for himself, so I don't feel badly for him.", but this was the best way he could find to earn a decent income without a college degree. This is a field that has good job security, (after all, not too many people, and almost no women, want to do it), and decent pay, especially if you stay in it long enough to get raises. He's really good about every so often, looking around, getting other job offers, then going to his boss and asking for a raise, while letting the boss know he has these other offers in case he says no. That strategy has worked well for him.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loisl25
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM
BUMP!
merryvoice
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I admire anyone who can do what he does. It's not easy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
almostthere55
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I would never bash someone for working, no matter what the job.  You should be proud of him.  Especially since it is a very "challenging" position.  And I bet your house has the cleanest pipes in town.  lol.  No way he will let you guys flush anything inappropriate.... :)

Venae
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Get that poor man a mask - bleach can damage your lungs.  And yes, we should all appreciate those who do these disgusting jobs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Have him call Dirty Jobs!!!

loisl25
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I agree. Yep! He IS a stickler about that. :) He's always talking to me about how he wishes people wouldn't flush stupid stuff they're not supposed to, and goes on and on in the Summer about people over watering their lawns or watering the cement, lol.

Quoting almostthere55:

I would never bash someone for working, no matter what the job.  You should be proud of him.  Especially since it is a very "challenging" position.  And I bet your house has the cleanest pipes in town.  lol.  No way he will let you guys flush anything inappropriate.... :)

loisl25
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I KNOW! I've told him he needs to use a mask. He says the place he was working before provided one, but this new place he just started at doesn't. I told him he needs to DEMAND one, that's not safe.

Quoting Venae:

Get that poor man a mask - bleach can damage your lungs.  And yes, we should all appreciate those who do these disgusting jobs. 

loisl25
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM

LOL! I DID see an episode of that once where the guy was doing dh's job. Different company, but same job. I also saw an episode of "Undercover Boss" where the ceo of a wastewater treatment plant did dh's job. :D I was really happy to see a big shot CEO doing the disgusting work that his employees have to do to make him a multi millionaire.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have him call Dirty Jobs!!!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I would be proud of him.Seems like a strong man.

loisl25
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I am and he is. :)

Quoting momofsixangels:

I would be proud of him.Seems like a strong man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN