Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

WHAT are you thinking namng your child THAT??!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think when you see a kid with a really awful name like Mayo Head or Lust Garten?

Options:

Wow! How unique! :)

Ugh! WHY would you do that to your poor kid??!!

Well, I wouldn't do it, but to each their own, I guess.

LOVE IT!

Other, (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 111

View Results

I was just watching Steve Harvey and he was talking about really bad baby names that have been used in 2012, like Mayo Head, Hashtag, Lust Garten, etc... He was also saying he hated the name his parents gave him so much that he changed it to Steve. I really wanted to hear what his real name was, but, DARNIT! I was switching over the laundry at that moment and missed it, (btw, if you heard, let me know!). _______________________________________________________________-______-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Obama's mother was named Stanley, which is clearly a boy's name. She was obedient enough to keep it until college, but she went by S after that out of shame for having a 'boy's' name. _________________________________________________- _______________________________________________________________________________________ It really made me want to know, if you gave your child a really 'awful' name, one that you clearly know your child will be made fun of for, one that has people giving you funny looks every time you say what your child's name is, or gave your girl an obviously masculine name or your boy an obviously girly name, WHY did you do that???!!! ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Seriously. I really do want to know and understand the motivation for this craziness. Is it because you truly think uniqueness is THE most important thing in a name? Is it because you want revenge on your baby for your pregnancy symptoms and child birth experience? Is it because you are so mean spirited that you relish the idea of your little boy or girl being made fun of EVERY day that they go to school? If it's because you just want them to be unique, there are PLENTY of names that are unique that are still beautiful. ____________________________________________________________________________________ It really doesn't have to be Mayo Head in order for your child to be the only one in his class with that name. And if you're just against gender steriotyping and don't want your child to feel 'locked' into the identity of being his or her gender, then name them something gender neutral, like Jessie, (not jessica) or something like that. If you really wanted a girl, so you give your son a girl's name, or you wanted a boy, so you give your girl a boy's name, (which was the case with Poor Stanley mentioned above), then you are just selfish and cruel imo, because forcing your child to live with a daily reminder of your gender dissapointment is just an awful thing to do. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ I AGONIZED over the names of each of my kids. I WISHED they could just name themselves, because I know that no matter what I named them they STILL may grow up and hate the name, but there are obviously some names that pretty much guarentee that will happen. I thought about what their name rymed with, (because we all know if the other kids can come up with a funny and very unflattering ryme with your child's name they will, and will call them by that ryme forever), and thought about any obvious invitations to teasing inherent in the name. My cousin, for example, never lived down the fact that her first name rymed with her last, at least not until she got married and changed her last name. _________________________________________________________________________________ This is why I named my odd Elizabeth, maybe I played it TOO safe, but not only is that a pretty name, but there are so many variations on it that she could decide to go by if she chooses. It was the closest I could come to letting her choose her own name. At least it gave her a few options on what to be called. My other two were named after beloved family members. Granted, we do have the problem, if you call it a problem, of Elizabeth often having other little girls in her class with the same name, but she really doesn't mind. Still, like I said, it is possible to give your child a name that is both unique AND beautiful. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ I know one common excuse for this is the old, "It's my kid and my decision and I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks." I get that, but YOU are not the one who is going to have to live with that name, your kid is, and they may hate it. Are you going to feel bad if a few years down the road they tell you they hate it, cry when they get home that the kids tease them relentlessly, changes it when he grows up? Or are you still going to be glad you named your kid Hash Tag or Vomit Pile? _______________________________________________________________________________ Now, don't think I mean you if your child just has a unique name that is really lovely, I'm talking about the ones who surely have to KNOW they are setting thier kid up for a lifetime of humiliation. WHY??!!!__________________________________________________________________________ PS, I did do paragraphs, and put a space between each paragraph, but for whatever reason when I posted it the paragraphs weren't there, so I've gone back and edited in these lines between paragraphs.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate unique spellings and unique names. Feel so sorry for the kids. Dumb parents don't think the kid will have to spell and explain their name their whole life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, that's what occurs to me, too. The parents are NOT thinking about how it's going to affect the kid down the road.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate unique spellings and unique names. Feel so sorry for the kids. Dumb parents don't think the kid will have to spell and explain their name their whole life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM

ghetto

kim8934
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Broderick Steven

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I like the name Broderick. That doesn't seem wierd to me.

Quoting kim8934:

Broderick Steven

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Meaning you think my post is ghetto, you think giving your kids a weird name is ghetto or you know of a kid named ghetto? (LOL! That would be a funny one, though!)

Quoting Anonymous:

ghetto

kim8934
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

that's what I thought, Broderick isn't bad at all, but I guess it was unusual to him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kim8934:

Broderick Steven

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Ah, I see. Yeah, I always worried my kids might grow up and not like their names even if I tried to give them a really good name. My daughter has told me she thinks I should have named her Sarah, lol. Incidentally, Sarah is what my son , (my first born) was going to be named if he'd been a girl.

Quoting kim8934:

that's what I thought, Broderick isn't bad at all, but I guess it was unusual to him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kim8934:

Broderick Steven

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I met a kid named Mayo one day. I never got used to calling the kid a condiment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)