Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I have bad experiences with doulas :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies

I'm sure this isn't true for all doulas but the people I have come in contact with come on SO strong.  I feel as though however you want to birth or raise your children in your own business.  I personally know three doulas and I like them and we're friends but I have to completely steer clear of the topic of childbirth, child rearing, and vaccinations or I end up getting lectured.  Not to mention some of the doulas I come across online.  They (online friends and personal friends) will send me PAGES of information and 2 hour long videos and it goes on and on.  It feels as if they are trying to throw an over abudance of information at me so I will break down and agree?  I put the question mark because I'm not usually disagreeing with them and my kids are middle and high school so it's not as if I'm concerned about my own labor or children's vacs.  The only thing I can think of to compare it to is people who are in a cult and have their beliefs challenged. 

I've just NEVER had a nurse or medical doctor in a hopital or any other setting make me feel the way the doulas in my life have.  I have never been bombaded with more information than I can take it and I have never felt pressured by a doctor  or even made to feel guilty for my choices. I've also never had just another human being be that way to me.  Surely doulas and parents who choose not to vaccinate and stuff have but that doesn't mean you should make others feel that way.

For the doulas out there who aren't like this, I'm sorry.  I do realize that maybe there are the handful like this who make you look bad.  I don't believe you're all like that. 

I am posting anon because I though I've told my friends this it does no good and I'm afraid they will just start sending MORE emails and videos.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
rbailey2414
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I sort of agree with you- I just think they are trying to give you good info and there is a lot of it. I'm on your side! Too much for me to absorb lol! I don't have time to watch a 5 minute video let alone a 2 hour video ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)