Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

These numbers are starting to scare me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yup...going to start some drama but oh well. I decided not to do flu shots this year. I have in the past, but decided to take the risk this year cuz i have heard horrible things about the shot. I also heard that the strain going around isnt even covered by the vaccine.

So far none of my kids even show signs of a cold let alone flu, but i just heard there have been 18 deaths in my state alone. I'm really starting to get concerned and debating if i should rush them all to the dr. for their shots. I really dont want to give it to them but these numbers are alarming!

My kids are good hand washers and take vitamins. I know that doesnt fully protect them but hoping it helps.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (191-200):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

now see, our news is reporting 18 deaths NATION WIDE> more propaganda..*Sigh* cochrane studies from a couple years proving the ineffectiveness and pointlessness of the vaccine:
 http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001269/vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults
note that this was from 2 years ago.. yet, we still push it like it makes a difference.smh 

kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That would mean someone had to actually READthe package insert

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

now see, our news is reporting 18 deaths NATION WIDE> more propaganda..*Sigh* cochrane studies from a couple years proving the ineffectiveness and pointlessness of the vaccine: http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001269/vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adultsnote that this was from 2 years ago.. yet, we still push it like it makes a difference.smh 

Oh I heard 18 deaths in mass alone. If its nationwide that is a very tiny number and really not that alarming.
kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
So you're saying its ok if people over 18 get a shot they know doesn't work

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

This vaccine is for people 18 and older. Its a smaller shot. This is not the flu shot kids get from what i understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
How could you NOT care.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

And this whole post has to do with me getting flu shots for my kids so why would i care about the side effects of this vaccine?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Quoting kitty8199:

I'm just saying its not what my post is about. Of course I have compassion for other people but I'm debating if I should get the shots for MY kids. I will never get the flu shot again. I got it once, but I have never had the flu in my life. My husband won't even go for a physical so this vaccine serves as no use to me.
kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM
If you're debating the shot, ingredients and side effects should play a major role in risk/benefit.

Just ask for the package insert and read EVERY WORD. Then decide.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kitty8199:

I'm just saying its not what my post is about. Of course I have compassion for other people but I'm debating if I should get the shots for MY kids. I will never get the flu shot again. I got it once, but I have never had the flu in my life. My husband won't even go for a physical so this vaccine serves as no use to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Quoting kitty8199:

They do concern me which is why I haven't gotten it for them. I assumed since it was only for people 18 and older it had different ingredients then the one my kids used to get. If it doesn't then my mistake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Millions and millions and millions get flu shots every year with no side effects. Almost 40 deaths in just 2 states from the flu already.

Quoting kitty8199:

If you're debating the shot, ingredients and side effects should play a major role in risk/benefit.

Just ask for the package insert and read EVERY WORD. Then decide.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kitty8199:

kitty8199
by Nicole on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

Influenza (Afluria) beta-propiolactone, thimerosol (multi-dose vials only), monobasic sodium phosphate, dibasic sodium phosphate, monobasic potassium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium chloride, sodium taurodeoxycholate, neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B, egg protein November 2011

Influenza (Fluarix) sodium deoxycholate, formaldehyde, octoxynol-10 (Triton X-100), α-tocopheryl hydrogen succinate, polysorbate 80 (Tween 80), hydrocortisone, gentamicin sulfate, ovalbumin nonylphenol ethoxylate, thimerosal (multidose vial–trace only in prefilled syringe), polymyxin, neomycin, beta-propiolactone, egg proteins April, 2011
Influenza (Fluvirin) May, 2011
Influenza (Flulaval) thimerosal, α-tocopheryl hydrogen succinate, polysorbate 80, formaldehyde, sodium deoxycholate, ovalbumin December, 2011

Influenza (Fluzone: Standard, High-Dose, & Intradermal) formaldehyde, octylphenol ethoxylate (Triton X-100), sodium phosphate, gelatin (standard formulation only), thimerosal (multi-dose vial only) , egg protein May, 2011 Influenza

Copied from my phone so it didn't flow right, but check the link about halfway down there's a link to download ingredients.

Do you think ANY of these sound ok? I sure don't

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kitty8199:

They do concern me which is why I haven't gotten it for them. I assumed since it was only for people 18 and older it had different ingredients then the one my kids used to get. If it doesn't then my mistake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)