Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

These numbers are starting to scare me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yup...going to start some drama but oh well. I decided not to do flu shots this year. I have in the past, but decided to take the risk this year cuz i have heard horrible things about the shot. I also heard that the strain going around isnt even covered by the vaccine.

So far none of my kids even show signs of a cold let alone flu, but i just heard there have been 18 deaths in my state alone. I'm really starting to get concerned and debating if i should rush them all to the dr. for their shots. I really dont want to give it to them but these numbers are alarming!

My kids are good hand washers and take vitamins. I know that doesnt fully protect them but hoping it helps.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
maria1613
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM
My SD and I didn't get the flu shot and we both got the flu and my SO got the plu shot and he got the flu, but DD did get the flu and didn't get the flu. We just had one of the first reported death in a juvenile in this state a couple days ago. It's bad this year but everyone is getting hit, just have to wash hands, throw back vitamins, and disinfect as much as possible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I think it all depends. My children were all vaccinated in early October (2 are asthmatic). 
However, just before Thanksgiving my 5 yr old did get a strain of the flu not covered by the vaccine. Yet, my other 4 children were fine. The 2 asthmatic children and myself did start Tamiflu, just to be safe.  

SarahsAMommy
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Try the mist. I don't like the shot for my son. I wasn't going to get it for him, but the one going around this year is really bad for people with breathing issues and he has asthma. He still got the flu, but luckily it passed within 5 days. The numbers are scary, but honestly, they are every year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
The mist is live. That is why I don't like it.

Quoting SarahsAMommy:

Try the mist. I don't like the shot for my son. I wasn't going to get it for him, but the one going around this year is really bad for people with breathing issues and he has asthma. He still got the flu, but luckily it passed within 5 days. The numbers are scary, but honestly, they are every year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

If you do get the flu it is less of severity. Google it and the strain and the shot do match. It has been all over the news.

Quoting Anonymous:

Average success rate is less than 59%, according to health officials.

But I guess that is matching to a "tee"?

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrong, the strain of flu matches the shot to a tee. The flu is worse this year than in the past too.

I am curious how it matches EXACTLY.. How did the CDC anticipate what flu strand goes around? and there isnt only ONE strand of flu per season, and depending on antibodies and immune system people have, the flu can actually mutate per person. If the flu shot matches EXACTLY, wouldnt it prevent the flu altogether, and if so, then how are people who are getting the shot getting the flu at all?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

There is a state of emergency in the Boston area, the flu is so bad. Hasn't been a bad year like this in 10 years.

That's where I am. Well not in Boston but in mass. I'm actually pretty far from Boston.
MsDenuninani
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I'm really grateful that I vaccinated early this year (myself, my husband, and my child) and I have total peace of mind that we won't be impacted by the outbreak.

I didn't usually vaccinate until about five years ago- but now that I do, I really don't see the down side.

singlemama0905
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
My son and I both got the flu shot. We both have asthma, so the mist isn't an option for either of is. Neither of us have been sick at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

I've heard a bunch of people go to the dr. and they tell them they have type A. Not covered by the shot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I do not know. There are 3 strains in the shot 8 believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

If you do get the flu it is less of severity. Google it and the strain and the shot do match. It has been all over the news.

Quoting Anonymous:

Average success rate is less than 59%, according to health officials.

But I guess that is matching to a "tee"?

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrong, the strain of flu matches the shot to a tee. The flu is worse this year than in the past too.

I am curious how it matches EXACTLY.. How did the CDC anticipate what flu strand goes around? and there isnt only ONE strand of flu per season, and depending on antibodies and immune system people have, the flu can actually mutate per person. If the flu shot matches EXACTLY, wouldnt it prevent the flu altogether, and if so, then how are people who are getting the shot getting the flu at all?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)