Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

These numbers are starting to scare me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yup...going to start some drama but oh well. I decided not to do flu shots this year. I have in the past, but decided to take the risk this year cuz i have heard horrible things about the shot. I also heard that the strain going around isnt even covered by the vaccine.

So far none of my kids even show signs of a cold let alone flu, but i just heard there have been 18 deaths in my state alone. I'm really starting to get concerned and debating if i should rush them all to the dr. for their shots. I really dont want to give it to them but these numbers are alarming!

My kids are good hand washers and take vitamins. I know that doesnt fully protect them but hoping it helps.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
gonecrazi
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Hand washing will help and so will the vitamins, but,I'd get the shot. Everyone in my family has had it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Quoting HippieMomma86:

My whole family has never received the flu shot and I'm not worried at all. We are healthy and rarely get sick. The only time I was slightly worried was with h1n1 and even then we still didn't get a shot. Just keep on them about handwashing, eating right and avoiding sick people.

We don't get them either. My 16 hear old had the swine flu in middle school along with many of his friends. I remember the media was freaking everyone out. My son and his friends ended up just fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
The 3 strains are the most prevalent. Some years th match is not exact. I get what you are saying but you are not getting what I said. Every year flu shots prevent a ton of flu and a ton of bad cases.

Quoting icn_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Same way any vaccine is not fool proof. No vaccine is 100% ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

If you do get the flu it is less of severity. Google it and the strain and the shot do match. It has been all over the news.

Quoting Anonymous:

Average success rate is less than 59%, according to health officials.

But I guess that is matching to a "tee"?

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrong, the strain of flu matches the shot to a tee. The flu is worse this year than in the past too.

I am curious how it matches EXACTLY.. How did the CDC anticipate what flu strand goes around? and there isnt only ONE strand of flu per season, and depending on antibodies and immune system people have, the flu can actually mutate per person. If the flu shot matches EXACTLY, wouldnt it prevent the flu altogether, and if so, then how are people who are getting the shot getting the flu at all?

right that was part of my point.. the fight was its effective because it matches exactly, so I used the word exactly to make a point.. I dont believe any vaccine is going to prevent something especially something like the flu since its never EXACTLY what they think it is!! (to a tee =  exactly) lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this

This is why my family does NOT get the flu vaccine (or anymore vaccines for that matter):

Additives used in the production of vaccines may include

1. suspending fluid (e.g. sterile water, saline, or fluids containing protein);
  2. preservatives and stabilizers to help the vaccine remain unchanged (e.g. albumin, phenols, and glycine); and
  3. adjuvants or enhancers to help the vaccine to be more effective.

Common substances found in vaccines include:

• Aluminum gels or salts of aluminum which are added as adjuvants to help the vaccine stimulate a better response. Adjuvants help promote an earlier, more potent response, and more persistent immune response to the vaccine.

See also: "Aluminum in Vaccines: What you should know"External Web Site Policy Adobe Acrobat print-friendly PDF file [ 579KB / 2 pages] Also available in SpanishExternal Web Site Policy Adobe Acrobat print-friendly PDF file [579KB / 2 pages]
  • Antibiotics which are added to some vaccines to prevent the growth of germs (bacteria) during production and storage of the vaccine. No vaccine produced in the United States contains penicillin.
  • Egg protein is found in influenza and yellow fever vaccines, which are prepared using chicken eggs. Ordinarily, persons who are able to eat eggs or egg products safely can receive these vaccines.
  • Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production. Most formaldehyde is removed from the vaccine before it is packaged.
  • Monosodium glutamate (MSG) and 2-phenoxy-ethanol which are used as stabilizers in a few vaccines to help the vaccine remain unchanged when the vaccine is exposed to heat, light, acidity, or humidity.
  • Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose to prevent contamination and growth of potentially harmful bacteria.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

Crazy_Daze
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

You have to take into consideration, the condition of those that have died. Were they elderly? Had an immune system issue? Poor or no medical care?

Last year, my husband was the only one of us that got the flu shot and that was because he had to for work. Who got the flu? He did. : / I wouldn't freak out about it, just wash your hands and try to get enough sleep at night. Relax : )

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

We don't do flu shots in my house. We've had too many issues with them. We take extra measures and are very careful. I feel that the flu shot is not what the government says it is. It put my son in the hospital for a week 2 years in a row. Both of those years he had sinus infections, ear infections, pink eye, flu, etc. for 6 months starting in October when he got the shot. This year, no one in my house has been sick with anything. Not even a sniffle. I haven't used any sick time. It's been heavenly with everyone so healthy this year. We finally had a holiday season where no one was puking, had a fever and/or coughing.

I am against the flu shot 100%!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Healthy kids.

Quoting Crazy_Daze:

You have to take into consideration, the condition of those that have died. Were they elderly? Had an immune system issue? Poor or no medical care?

Last year, my husband was the only one of us that got the flu shot and that was because he had to for work. Who got the flu? He did. : / I wouldn't freak out about it, just wash your hands and try to get enough sleep at night. Relax : )

emkirkley
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The bad season has been blamed on an especially virulent flu strain, the A H3N2 strain. Another A strain, H1N1, and two influenza B strains are also causing illness.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

That's what I saw on the Today Show.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's not what the news was saying this morning.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrong, the strain of flu matches the shot to a tee. The flu is worse this year than in the past too.

Rhonda142
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

No flu shots here..I don't see the point.

Isabelles_mommy
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Everyone I have known who has gotten the flu shot has been very ill after. My family doesn't get a flu shot and hasn't had the flu since I was a teen (and got the last flu shot i have ever had or will get) We use Thieves oil, Elderberry, and probiotics. Eating non-processed, organic foods is what keeps us healthy.( we grow alot of it ourselves in the garden in the summer and can or freeze most of it for the winter)

I don't trust flu shots nor do I trust what the news puts on the tv. I trust in what my family has done for 25 yrs. It works for us. You can decide what works for yours. If giving your family a flu shot, which could cause them to get ill, works for you, then more power to ya.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)