Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Monopoly is sending a game piece to jail, permanently

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 3 Replies

Monopoly is sending a game piece to jail, permanently

It's being put to a public vote: Which Monopoly token would you save, and which new one would you welcome into the fold? NBC's Brian Williams reports.

Monopoly is sending one of its tokens directly to jail forever  without passing go, without collecting $200.

The iconic board game is asking its Facebook fans to vote for their favorite game piece, including the car, thimble, boot, Scottie dog, battleship, hat, iron and wheelbarrow.

LIVE POLL

Q: Which Monopoly token would you eliminate?

Car1%Thimble20%Boot5%Scottie dog4%Battleship9%Hat5%Iron34%Wheelbarrow22%

Total Votes:70006

The one that receives the fewest votes will be voted off the board next month. 

As of Jan. 9, the dog and the car have garnered the most support. Fans of the wheelbarrow and hat may need to select a new game piece. 

But out with the old and in with the new: Monopoly will replace the shunned piece with a cat, diamond ring, guitar, helicopter or toy robot.

https://apps.facebook.com/saveyourtoken/

Hasbro is asking their Monopoly Facebook fans to vote for a new token.

This isn’t the first time Monopoly has introduced replacement tokens. According to Hasbro.com, the lantern, purse and rocking horse got the ax in the early 1950s, making way for the dog, wheelbarrow and the horse and rider (the horse eventually got booted from the box, too).

Hasbro's promotion hearkens back to M&M’s marketing stunt in 1995, when the the tan-hued chocolate candy was nixed and fans were asked to vote for a new color (the verdict was blue).

Hasbro will reveal the new token exclusively on TODAY on Feb. 6. Be sure to watch! 

LIVE POLL

Q: Which token would you like to see added most to Monopoly?

50337 votes
28%Robot14140 votes14%Ring7182 votes21%Cat10541 votes26%Helicopter13027 votes11%Guitar5447 votes
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I'd get rid of the iron or shoe and get the guitar

But someone will probably pick something dumb like the robot or cat...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maciymommieof3
by Angie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM

LOL/////

so OK...I voted..and I voted the IRON off......and it was in the lead at 34%   and then I voted for the new piece to be the "helicopter" (it was a tough choice between that or the guitar)... Well the helicopter is in 2nd place to the ROBOT>....

Quoting little.worthen:

little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM

see!! i knew it...

Quoting maciymommieof3:

LOL/////

so OK...I voted..and I voted the IRON off......and it was in the lead at 34%   and then I voted for the new piece to be the "helicopter" (it was a tough choice between that or the guitar)... Well the helicopter is in 2nd place to the ROBOT>....

Quoting little.worthen:

*click my siggy to join the group* 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)