Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Kids With Cellphones Scare the Crap Out of Me - What do you think about kids with cellphones?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 19 Replies

Kids With Cellphones Scare the Crap Out of Me

Posted by Aunt Becky on January 10, 2013

My family was one of the first to own a computer. We only owned one because my dad is a gadget freak, not because my parents are cutting edge -- my mother STILL doesn't understand how call waiting works.

But I'd sit there in my footie pajamas while my dad inserted these gigantic floppy discs into the large machine so that I could do things like "learn to tell time" by reading a gigantic green clock. Not quite on the level of Angry Birds, but I digress.

My son is 11 and a half (the half being of utmost importance), and he's asking for a cellphone, which freaks me out. I didn't have one until I was 21, and even then, the thing took up half my purse.

Ah, how the times have changed!

I'm trying my best to be a hip mom and all, but I can't see any good coming from allowing my kid to have a cellphone. I mean, he can't remember to put on socks -- how would he even remember to charge the thing? (This from the person who hasn't charged her phone in three days.)

And then there are the apps. I've been okay with the apps for my phone directed at my small kids -- they're fairly educational, and obnoxious blinky ads aside, I'm pretty comfortable letting them play on my phone. Especially since they use the phone to watch Netflix even though the television is MUCH bigger than the pack of smokes sized iPhone I use whenever I remember to charge it.

But there's an app for Facebook. One for Twitter. One for Tumblr. What if my kid decides it's time to open up a Facebook profile and write crap about me on his wall? Or tweet things about how I "rarely wear pants" and "how gross it is"?

To say I'm scared about the teen years is probably the biggest understatement of the century. (I was going to type "year," but since it's been 2013 for approximately six minutes, it seemed more appropriate to use "century.") I'm used to the mood swings and puberty stuffs -- I may not love it, but I can handle it.

But having a phone is like the gateway drug to teen-dom, which I am SO not ready for. Pretty soon, he's going to be asking about starting his own blog at which point, I may as well run and hide -- what if he finds MY blog?

GASP.

Panic attacks notwithstanding, what am I supposed to do with a teenager? Take him to a Jonas Brothers concert? Glee reunion tours? American Idol tryouts? I don't know! I can't even tell you for sure if those exist anymore! I haven't watched American Idol since Mormon-Face won, so for all I know, it could be canceled!

*breathes deeply*

I can do this. I can survive the teen years. It's not like a monster is going to move in and take over my son's brain, right?

I can survive the teen years, right? I should just stock up on more vodka, right? I mean, heh-heh, I was an "angel" during the teen years -- my kid's gonna be even more angelic, right?

No?

Shit.

Pass the vodka.

What do you think about kids with cellphones?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamswife08
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I think until you can pay for it yourself, you dont need it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Kids don't need them. Mine did not get one till hs and only if they had good grades.
Jambo4
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Please tell me you don't PAY your bloggers, CM...

LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM

My Dd and Ds got a cell phone after they turned 8.  Basic model, no internet.  We had a scare where my Dd and I couldn't find each other (long story) and a cell phone fixed that. My Dd was not allowed to give her number to anyone until she was 12 and only to friends she and I have personally met.  Though I am really lucky my kids have no interest in FB or chatting all day.  The use it only when they are away from home.  They take it to school, but it stays in their backpacks in the event they have to walk home or need to call home and are not allowed by the school (this has happened with my Ds).  My kids rarely use their phones and after the divorce it was a good whay for their dad and them to communicate.  Recently there was an a string of attempted abductions in our area, one of the kids that was the guy attempted to lure into a van ran away and using his cell phone took a pic of the car and guy.  This was the third attempt the guy had made, and last. From that pic they where able to get the guy.  There are also cases where kids use the cell phone to send dirty pics and other things that are worrying.

elly25
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

My son has a cellphone. He has to do chores to earn the money to pay his bill each month. If he doesn't do the work. It gets turned off. He's had it for a year now (he's ten). He's not allowed to give his number out. It's for family or emergency only.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Until she's old enough to pay for it herself,our daughter will only have a bare basics cellphone for emergencies.It will not be Internet,camera or texting capable and it will be handed in when she walks in the door.I think it is unnecessary for kids to text or browse the web on their cellphones!
snglbby
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I saw a kid yesterday with a cell phone and he was 6!!!! I have a 6 year old and I thought, "wow...I thought I gave my kids their phones too early at 12!" To be honest, my kids don't really need their phones, but except for one of my kids, they have taken very good care of them. In fact, I am trying to cut expenses so I will soon be DOWNgrading from smart phones to dumb phones since all we really need is the ability to place and receive phone calls and texting. To my surprise, when I told them about my plans, they didn't even argue! They just said, "ok".  

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Kids need them when they get to 8th or 9th grade.  So at those ages I am all for them.  Before then I think is ridiculous.

It isn't feasible to have told my kids when they could afford them.  They are now in activities that they need to be able to contact me from.  They do errands etc. and I need to be able to communicate with them.  Also no one hires here until you are at least 16.  I could never have told my 14yr old that he would have to wait till his junior year of HS before he could have a cell phone.  Wouldn't work.

OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I don't think kids need cell phones until they're driving.

I'm sure they will always be around other kids with them before then, so I'm not worried about them not being able to find a way to call me if they need to. 

Midwife, doula, or wanting to become one?  Join the BRAND NEW group!! Midwives and Doulas I am also in need of someone to help run it/get members since it's so new, so if you want to help send me a PM!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Everyone lived without cell phones till about 15 years or so ago. We could all live without them again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)