Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How would you interpret this???

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

so the house we live in the landlord has it for sale didnt tell us my mom found it on the internet with several of her other rentals, there is a facebook group for rentals in the area and there was a post in there from someone not sure who  she is it read:

How is anyone who is a single parent with a job, car payment, daycare and etc. supposed to be able to pay such outrageous rents? It's no wonder families are bundleing up. Even those who are hard working decent people can't find an affordable place to live that isn't a dump. I am blessed to have a home, but I feel for those who don't.

I commented on it as well this was my response:

my husband works his butt off i stay home with our kids and we have run into the same thing we rent its a nice home not thrilled with the location and I found out it is for sale well someone saw it on the internet and told me, so for fear we will be put out if it sells we want to leave on our own terms but seeing what a nice home to rent cost it is going to be very very hard scares me to death honestly

knowing my landlord is in this group posting all her damn rentals all the time and what do you know not 5 minutes later I get a facebook message in my other folder

the housing market would have to turn around a great deal before your home would sell - we bought it for twice what it's worth now and then remodeled so we have a huge mortgage!

so what do you make of it?? I didnt respond to her

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MomOfAmazing
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I would ask her how long of a notice she plans on giving you if it does sale... Don't get rude with her rude comment, because she will find a way to get u back... But definitely look out for your future. No matter what you will be granted ample time through judicial process to be able to find a new rental home. In a lot places the landlord is required to assist you with a new place to stay or payment for a place you find. Contact your court house and find out your local laws and processes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I believe there's a site to figure out how much a home is worth. Can you go FHA? Put in an offer? Renters have rights, also; look them up. You can't just be booted out, you need notice.

louiegirl62
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I've been living in a rental house that has been for sale for about five years. It never passes inspection, so no one can make an offer. But just in case, check the landlord-tenant laws for your state to learn about your options.

kaitybird
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I would be reading you lease agreement and then finding a lawyer to ask a few questions.  I would not be staying somewhere that the landlords were that way.  In most places they do have to let you know that this is what they are doing.  

I am not sure where you live but I would be hunting for something as something always opens up.  I sure wish you well.  Not every one is like that how dare they say that, so many of us have bought homes that are NOT worth what we paid for them, it is something we all have to deal with and to put that off on renters well is wrong.  Renting a the morgtage or a little more is reasonable.  I know that in our area $900 would be pushing it for rent!  They could short sale it and take a hit!  Sounds like they are greedy!  

Good luck to you....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

She is underwater on the house and she has it listed for twice it's market value. I wouldn't worry about it.  She never told you the property was listed so she doesn't expect to show it.  Is she a realtor or have a different property/real estate -type business?  Maybe she has them listed for sale to pad her portfolio.

GirlWithANikon
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Ask what kind of notice she will give you. But honestly id be looking for houses right not. I wouldnt stay, its not worth that cracked egg hanging over you head everyday just waiting to yolk on ya.

silverdawn99
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

i am in the same boat as you are

we rent from SFIL and MIL

right now they are trying to sell it for $40,000. it is only appraised for 28,000

SFIL already told MIL to put our house on the  market. they live next door in a rental and dont want to stay there. they are wanting to buy another home but need $5000 to put a down payment on it. now we toyed with giving them $5000 of our tax returns but got to thinking the $5000 dollars we give them wont be going towards the payment of the house. it will be going towards THEIR house and not the balance of the mortage of the house

I doubt the house will sell. it has been a source of great stress because no one has a straight answer

but DH told them if it isnt sold by march, there is no way we are moving after

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)