Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Jesus - stay or go?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM
  • 33 Replies
2 moms liked this
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Community-Fights-to-Keep-Portrait-of-Jesus-185946042.html?mobile=yes&device=android#.UO7r4o7ltDc.facebook

The freedom from religion foundation contacted Jackson schools demanding that this picture of Jesus be taken down, saying that it was a clear violation of the establishment clause. They held a board meeting and after hearing several people speak, all of which included preachers, CHILDREN, and 3 who say it should come down, the superintendent said he believes the law doesn't work that way, you can't even say that's a picture of Jesus Christ because their is no plaque with his name by it (oh yes, he said that), and they are keeping it up.
Now the ACLU has sent a letter, warning them to take the picture down.
Thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
People argue over the dunbest things that don't matter. Hate the ACLU.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Take it down. There should be no references to specific theological dieties in public schools. That includes a picture of Jesus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Interesting that it's been there so long without issue.  I don't think there needs to be religious iconography in schools.  I'm sure many would feel differently if there were images of Mohammad or Vishnu or some other prophet or deity.

RikkiMichelle
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM
So ironic I sign up for this site today and the very first thing I see is something about my little hometown and the Jesus painting! I can't even log onto my Facebook without it blowing up my newsfeed! Why I even bothered to read your posting is beyond me! Such a small world-
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Quoting Autumn22:

The freedom from religion foundation contacted Jackson schools demanding that this picture of Jesus be taken down, saying that it was a clear violation of the establishment clause. They held a board meeting and after hearing several people speak, all of which included preachers, CHILDREN, and 3 who say it should come down, the superintendent said he believes the law doesn't work that way, you can't even say that's a picture of Jesus Christ because their is no plaque with his name by it (oh yes, he said that), and they are keeping it up.
Now the ACLU has sent a letter, warning them to take the picture down.
Thoughts?

It is clearly intended to be Jesus.

But it was a donation.   As long as they'd accept as a donation a portrait of Kali or some revered non-theistic figure (eg Nelson Mandela?), I don't see that they're discriminating.

samurai_chica
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

well...maybe if they made it fare & also had a pic of Krishna, Mohamed, Buddha and other religious "prophets"...then they could keep it up. But, JUST Jesus? naaa....not right....

hotmom2001
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

freedom of the press!1

TigressLily
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:11 AM

We have freedom of religion. They should not be trying to take that away. It's in our constitution. They won't win.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:14 AM
Who is the pic hurting? Are atheist or whatever afraid if they see a pic they are going to be sucked in??? Lmao. Who in the TOWN actually cares???
mom25013
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Keep it there..I say stay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)