Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

"You are being irrational."

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 18 Replies

My grandmother, my moms mom, (we all call her Nana) is 70 years old. I think she has been driving since she was 24 (I think). She has never been in one single accident and maybe just a couple of parking tickets but that's it.

My mom went for a drive with Nana, i think a couple of months ago, just to make sure that Nana is still safe with her driving. My mom told me that if she didn't feel safe riding in the car with Nana that she wouldn't let anyone else do it.

I have my oldest son, 7 years old, his name is Alex. I love him, he's my first child so maybe I am a little over protective of him, IDK.

My mom wants Nana to pick my son up this afternoon and I told my mom that I don't feel comfortable allowing Nana to drive with Alex in the car.

I explained to her how she's an older women and her reaction time isn't as quick as it use to be. I told her that I don't feel comfortable with that.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational. I told my mom that I would be more than happy to drop Alex off at her house (I live 6 minutes away from my mom) and she told me that it is a waste of gas and that I don't have to do any unnecessary driving because Nana can come pick Alex up.

I repeated myself and said I don't feel comfortable letting Nana driving while Alex is in the car.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Am I really being irrational?

Should I just allow my grandmother to take Alex to my mom's house?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacefaceninja
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Even if you ARE being "irrational" in her eyes...YOU are still mom. I don't blame you. I don't let my kids ride in a car with anyone except me and their dad. I'm sure that makes me crazy...but I don't care. They're mmy babies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CheesyKitty
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk, if nana can still drive safely I would let her. How hurtful would you find someone telling you that because of your age you cannot do something you are perfectly capable of doing. Since she hasn't had an accident and it's only 6 miles I wouldn't see the point in hurting her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
70 is not that old. Many drive till 90 even though I think that iis too old. I see nothing wrong. My Mom in her mid 70's drove alone from Indiana to Florida and back. I don't see why anyone would freak out unless they were loony and had accident or ticket issues.
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Unless Nana has done something to cause concern, youre being highly irrational

pristine729
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM
My 83 year old Grandpa still drives, with his great grandchildren! So, I don't see a problem.
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Lemme get this straight...  You DON'T want your 70 year old Grandma, who still drives perfectly, to drive your 7 year old, but you DO want your 7year old to watch the movie TED(or at the very least, you can't figure out for yourself whether or not it's appropriate).  Yes, you are irrational.

CountryLayne
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Everyone is going to have an opinion on this, so let me just keep my reply as short as possible.

YOU are the child's mother. YOU gave birth to him. YOU have raised him. YOU are the one who has the right to say whether he rides in someone else's vehicle-- no matter what anyone else thinks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I would say you are being irrational.  Your grandmother does not have any accidents on her record, nor do you know of any problem.  Surely she is capable of picking your son up and driving with him for a bit.  Why do you think 70 is so old?  YOu must be very young.  Someday, you too will be older and you won't want people to assume you are incompetent when you get older just because you are older, will you?

emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Quoting CheesyKitty:

Idk, if nana can still drive safely I would let her. How hurtful would you find someone telling you that because of your age you cannot do something you are perfectly capable of doing. Since she hasn't had an accident and it's only 6 miles I wouldn't see the point in hurting her.

this.

but you are mom and what you say goes. this is a choice you have to make, but i suggest you telling your nana yourself, rather than the story getting twisted when your mom tells her

mamalusbear
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM

They're your kids, and ultimately the decision is up to you.  But Nana is only 70, not 110 and if she's had a good driving record thus far then maybe it's worth a second thought?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN