Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can my dr. Refuse a visit--edit(update)

low and behold either the flu or some other nasty virus has hit my house. I called the dr. this mirning and the receptionust said we dont want them in here because there are babies in here and we dont want them getting sick. Ok, i understand the concern, but they could get sick just from a trip to the grocery store. How am i supposed to know what my son has unless i get him to the dr?*********edit: my kids hardly ever get sick. They go to the dr. Once a year typically for their well child visit. The longest they have ever had a fever is about 12 hours and they NEVER saidthe room was spinning. I called the on call the night this happened and they advised me to treat him that night and call the office in the morning for an appointment.******edit again: i cannot respond to everyone cause this post is on fire! I an going to try to answer all questions: there is an urgent care down the street from me but you have to be a patient there. Its where i go but they dont specialize so i brought my kids to a pedi 35 minutes away. I am going to be moving my kids to them in the next few days. I know there is nithing i can do for the flu,which is not what im complaining about, im complaining that they are guessing what my son has instead of finding out for sure. Pneumonia DOES prevent the same as the flu. I had it and so did my neice and the symptoms were the same as my son has now. Our closest ER is 45 mintues away. I called the on call emts in my area the night this happened. They cheked him out, his vitals were perfect and they suggested to all in the morning for an appointment. Thank you tor those who actually showed concern instead of giving me rude comments, like a lot did. He is doing much better, fever is gone but he does still have a nasty cough. One of my twins and my youngest have the fever today so i am convinced now it is the flu and not pneumonia. If there are any questions i missed pkease ask again and i will try to get to it.
*****update: for those of you who said i was overreacting and that people overexaggerate how sick their kids are...two of my kids now have ear infections, so i do think my dr.was wrong not to see them.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM
They can. Nothing they can do about the flu. They are telling people to stay out of ERs unless they have trouble breathing or major issues.
Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Quoting annie2244:

If your kid has a cold or the flu, why are you going in for a doctor visit? Unless you think he has strep throat (sore throat high fever), or it is not getting better after a 4-5 days, why would he need a visit? It's a waste of health care resources and he exposes everyone else he comes in contact with to his cold or flu. I agree with the clinic!

He has had a high fever for 3 days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM
The flu this year is a high fever for a week or more. When my dd's had the flu they had 103 or higher for 8 days. We did not use Tamiflu. It has horrible side effects, not worth using it.
Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

The flu this year is a high fever for a week or more. When my dd's had the flu they had 103 or higher for 8 days. We did not use Tamiflu. It has horrible side effects, not worth using it.

My oldest is the only one sick so far but he is past the timeframe for tamiflu. Im sure my other kids are going to get it, but i heard awful things about it so i think we will stick to motrin and tylenol to make them comfortable and just keep pushing the fluids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
When my dd got swine flu I told her she could not leave her room till the fever broke. No one else got it. I washed my hands after I went in. Other times dh and I did not get it either.

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting Anonymous:

My oldest is the only one sick so far but he is past the timeframe for tamiflu. Im sure my other kids are going to get it, but i heard awful things about it so i think we will stick to motrin and tylenol to make them comfortable and just keep pushing the fluids.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I wish i would have thought of that. My oldest and one of my other not only share a room...they share a bed so that wouldnt work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
The doc should have deprecate waiting rooms for sick patients and other patients. If not, I'd look for another doc. Actually, after that comment I'd find a new doc anyway.
PEEK05
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I'd go to an urgent care.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

The doc should have deprecate waiting rooms for sick patients and other patients. If not, I'd look for another doc. Actually, after that comment I'd find a new doc anyway.

Yeah i think that is going to be my priority today. My pedi Now is actually like 30 minutes away. I chose her cause she was just pediatrics. My dr. For myself Is 10 minutes away but she is a family practioner so they dont specialize and they only do their residency at the office so they switch every few years but i think its worth it to switch over.

annie2244
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting annie2244:

If your kid has a cold or the flu, why are you going in for a doctor visit? Unless you think he has strep throat (sore throat high fever), or it is not getting better after a 4-5 days, why would he need a visit? It's a waste of health care resources and he exposes everyone else he comes in contact with to his cold or flu. I agree with the clinic!

He has had a high fever for 3 days.

What has been his temp? 102? or 104?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN