Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can my dr. Refuse a visit--edit(update)

low and behold either the flu or some other nasty virus has hit my house. I called the dr. this mirning and the receptionust said we dont want them in here because there are babies in here and we dont want them getting sick. Ok, i understand the concern, but they could get sick just from a trip to the grocery store. How am i supposed to know what my son has unless i get him to the dr?*********edit: my kids hardly ever get sick. They go to the dr. Once a year typically for their well child visit. The longest they have ever had a fever is about 12 hours and they NEVER saidthe room was spinning. I called the on call the night this happened and they advised me to treat him that night and call the office in the morning for an appointment.******edit again: i cannot respond to everyone cause this post is on fire! I an going to try to answer all questions: there is an urgent care down the street from me but you have to be a patient there. Its where i go but they dont specialize so i brought my kids to a pedi 35 minutes away. I am going to be moving my kids to them in the next few days. I know there is nithing i can do for the flu,which is not what im complaining about, im complaining that they are guessing what my son has instead of finding out for sure. Pneumonia DOES prevent the same as the flu. I had it and so did my neice and the symptoms were the same as my son has now. Our closest ER is 45 mintues away. I called the on call emts in my area the night this happened. They cheked him out, his vitals were perfect and they suggested to all in the morning for an appointment. Thank you tor those who actually showed concern instead of giving me rude comments, like a lot did. He is doing much better, fever is gone but he does still have a nasty cough. One of my twins and my youngest have the fever today so i am convinced now it is the flu and not pneumonia. If there are any questions i missed pkease ask again and i will try to get to it.
*****update: for those of you who said i was overreacting and that people overexaggerate how sick their kids are...two of my kids now have ear infections, so i do think my dr.was wrong not to see them.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Replies (21-30):
ThreeTimesThePi
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Most Drs are now refusing to see patients with the flu. If he isn't having trouble breathing and isn't dehydrated, I would wait it out. We had the flu here last month(myself and my 8 yo). Super high fever for a week.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Quoting annie2244:

On the low end 102... The highest 103.5

Jellybean306
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM

go to the cvs minute clinic....just get some help for that baby

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Quoting Jellybean306:

go to the cvs minute clinic....just get some help for that baby

What will they do for me? He is past the timeframe for tamiflu.

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Id get a new dr.

annie2244
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting annie2244:

On the low end 102... The highest 103.5

I don't ask for an appt just for fever unless it's 104. 102, even 103 is just a normal body reaction to fighting the infection and isn't dangerous.

annie2244
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM
3 moms liked this

This info is from the Palo Alto Medical Center website.   A ton of wasted health care resources are spent on people coming in for the common cold or flu.

4) Degree of sickness

How sick your child seems is more important than how high the fever is running. To assess how sick a child is when he or she has a fever, give an appropriate dose of acetaminophen or ibuprofen (see chart below), and see how he or she is behaving about one to two hours after the dose. The fever may not necessarily return to normal but is often lower. Keep in mind that some children can be seriously ill without any fever.

The behaviors listed below probably indicate that a baby or child is not seriously ill.

• A baby will coo, make eye contact, smile or reach for an object.
  • A toddler will pay attention to activities, smile, walk around to get things.
  • An older child will engage in quiet activities like coloring or reading.

The behaviors listed below may indicate a serious illness despite fever reduction.

• A baby is not making eye contact, continuously cries and cannot be comforted.
  • A toddler refuses to play, cries inconsolably, moans, appears very weak, turns away and stares repeatedly, or is very hard to awaken if sleeping.
  • An older child refuses to talk and won't interact or is unable to get out of bed.
  • The child keeps falling asleep without periods of activity; remember, sick children do tend to sleep more.

5) Promote liquids and rest

We all need to sleep more whenever our bodies fight an infection. Liquids are important because we sweat more when we have fevers. Children are more prone to dehydration compared to adults. Signs of dehydration in children include:

• No urine output in 8 to 12 hours
  • Listlessness
  • Dry cracked lips and/or mouth
  • No tears when crying

When to call your doctor

Immediately call for advice if:

• Your child is younger than 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4° F or greater.
  • Your child is constantly crying, irritable, inconsolable and behaving sick. (If possible, decide if your child is sick an hour after giving him or her acetaminophen or ibuprofen.)
  • Your child is drooling more than usual and having difficulty swallowing.
  • Your child has a stiff neck or headache and fever.
  • Your child has purple spots on the skin that are large or pinpoint, and do not fade with pressure.
  • Your child has difficulty breathing, unless it is due to a stuffy nose.
  • Your child is difficult to arouse, confused or delirious.
  • Your child is having his or her first febrile seizure.
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I hope your lo starts to feel better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Quoting annie2244:

This info is from the Palo Alto Medical Center website.   A ton of wasted health care resources are spent on people coming in for the common cold or flu.

4) Degree of sicknessHow sick your child seems is more important than how high the fever is running. To assess how sick a child is when he or she has a fever, give an appropriate dose of acetaminophen or ibuprofen (see chart below), and see how he or she is behaving about one to two hours after the dose. The fever may not necessarily return to normal but is often lower. Keep in mind that some children can be seriously ill without any fever.

The behaviors listed below probably indicate that a baby or child is not seriously ill.

• A baby will coo, make eye contact, smile or reach for an object.

• A toddler will pay attention to activities, smile, walk around to get things.

• An older child will engage in quiet activities like coloring or reading.

The behaviors listed below may indicate a serious illness despite fever reduction.

• A baby is not making eye contact, continuously cries and cannot be comforted.

• A toddler refuses to play, cries inconsolably, moans, appears very weak, turns away and stares repeatedly, or is very hard to awaken if sleeping.

• An older child refuses to talk and won't interact or is unable to get out of bed.

• The child keeps falling asleep without periods of activity; remember, sick children do tend
    to sleep more.

5) Promote liquids and rest We all need to sleep more whenever our bodies fight an infection. Liquids are important because we sweat more when we have fevers. Children are more prone to dehydration compared to adults. Signs of
dehydration
in children include:

• No urine output in 8 to 12 hours

• Listlessness

• Dry cracked lips and/or mouth

• No tears when crying

When to call your doctor

Immediately call for advice if:

• Your child is younger than 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4° F or greater.

• Your child is constantly crying, irritable, inconsolable and behaving sick. (If possible, decide if
    your child is sick an hour after giving him or her acetaminophen or ibuprofen.)

• Your child is drooling more than usual and having difficulty swallowing.

• Your child has a stiff neck or headache and fever.

• Your child has purple spots on the skin that are large or pinpoint, and do not fade with pressure.

• Your child has difficulty breathing, unless it is due to a stuffy nose.

• Your child is difficult to arouse, confused or delirious.

• Your child is having his or her first febrile seizure.

Thanks good to know. This is the first time he has ever had a fever for more than 12 hours so thats why i freaked out. I have very healthy kids.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting ZakkarysMom:

I hope your lo starts to feel better soon.

Thanks. He has gone 16 hours without a fever and no pain meds so i think he is starting to get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)