Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can my dr. Refuse a visit--edit(update)

low and behold either the flu or some other nasty virus has hit my house. I called the dr. this mirning and the receptionust said we dont want them in here because there are babies in here and we dont want them getting sick. Ok, i understand the concern, but they could get sick just from a trip to the grocery store. How am i supposed to know what my son has unless i get him to the dr?*********edit: my kids hardly ever get sick. They go to the dr. Once a year typically for their well child visit. The longest they have ever had a fever is about 12 hours and they NEVER saidthe room was spinning. I called the on call the night this happened and they advised me to treat him that night and call the office in the morning for an appointment.******edit again: i cannot respond to everyone cause this post is on fire! I an going to try to answer all questions: there is an urgent care down the street from me but you have to be a patient there. Its where i go but they dont specialize so i brought my kids to a pedi 35 minutes away. I am going to be moving my kids to them in the next few days. I know there is nithing i can do for the flu,which is not what im complaining about, im complaining that they are guessing what my son has instead of finding out for sure. Pneumonia DOES prevent the same as the flu. I had it and so did my neice and the symptoms were the same as my son has now. Our closest ER is 45 mintues away. I called the on call emts in my area the night this happened. They cheked him out, his vitals were perfect and they suggested to all in the morning for an appointment. Thank you tor those who actually showed concern instead of giving me rude comments, like a lot did. He is doing much better, fever is gone but he does still have a nasty cough. One of my twins and my youngest have the fever today so i am convinced now it is the flu and not pneumonia. If there are any questions i missed pkease ask again and i will try to get to it.
*****update: for those of you who said i was overreacting and that people overexaggerate how sick their kids are...two of my kids now have ear infections, so i do think my dr.was wrong not to see them.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

pretty much what most of the other's have said. Unless your kids are showing signs of something seriously wrong.. there is NOTHING a dr can do for the flu at this point. keep them hydrated, and rested, and wait it out girl!

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM
No excuse, but I think doctors are just overrun right now. I was turned away on a Friday because after only being open 10 minutes, they didn't have any appointments left. Then when I finally got her in on Monday it was crazy busy. We had to go to the lab & that was a 45 minute wait. I would wait it out & call of it doesn't get any better. If you really think he should be seen, try the walkin/urgent care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM

That is uncalled for! I would find a new doctor.

hollyandjason
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
103 is pretty high.... At my job if one of my residents (child) is at 102.5 we need to follow what's called Daniel's Law and call 911

I would take the child to another dr or ER

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting annie2244:

On the low end 102... The highest 103.5
lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Was it an appointment for YOU or your sick kids? I'd think it'd be silly of a pedi to cancel, but I know a couple of MY doctors have a rule about allowing children into the office. Especially if they are sick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM

The school insists on a note from a doctor's visit before a child will be re-admitted to school.

Quoting annie2244:

If your kid has a cold or the flu, why are you going in for a doctor visit? Unless you think he has strep throat (sore throat high fever), or it is not getting better after a 4-5 days, why would he need a visit? It's a waste of health care resources and he exposes everyone else he comes in contact with to his cold or flu. I agree with the clinic!

kameka
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Coulda shoulda woulda - if you're a stressed out first time mom things can be missed. That's no excuse for a doc not to see a sick child.

Quoting Anonymous:

If a parent doesn't know their child is dehydrated, they need some parenting classes 101 here.

Come on.... everyone should know their own kid well enough, and while sick like this should be strongly following them on how much they've had for fluids.

Quoting kameka:

My doc has a well-baby waiting room for those under 3 months, a well-child room and a sick-child room. Everyone is separated and I would be FURIOUS if they said not to come in. Both of my youngest had the flu this year and were prescribed Tamiflu which can shorten and lesson the symptoms. It's not like there's nothing they can do for it! And what if the child is dehydrated and the parent didn't realize?
AmiJanell
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with your doctor... I don't think going in is needed, especially when you'll be exposing everyone else AND potentially being exposed to a lot of other yuck yourself... not really worth it!

If it's a virus, what are they going to do?  Even if it's pneumonia, it's most likely viral, and again, what are they going to do?   If your child is having difficulty breathing, is showing signs of dehydration, or has a high temp over 103 for more than 5 days... then I would go in... otherwise I would just wait it out.

cmabbott
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM

The ER snubbed it as a virus, when I got them in DS had severe bronchitis and DD had a bilateral ear infection.  They did no testing in the ER.  I got a "How to give tylenol lesson" as the nasty ER nurse put it.  They had quite a few pediatrics patients both days we went in.  And when we finally saw the pediatrician, it was for DD's check up- I made him check both kids out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did your kids have viruses that the ER or doctors office couldn't help??

Quoting cmabbott:

Ask for the office manager.  My pediatricians office did that and I ended up with $400 in ER copays because they told us to go to the ER.  When I told the pediatrician at our next visit (2 kids both with 104 or higher fevers, 2 ER visits, and when I called the office "No open appointments") he flipped out!  He literally walked out of the exam room and yelled at the office staff and told the office manager he would be speaking with her later about how to handle calls for sick children that NEED to be seen.  He came back in and apologized and told me that if it happens again to come into the office and demand to speak to him directly.  My DH told him that if it happens again, we're showing up at his house after hours (DH is good friends with his son).  So I'd start with the office manager and work your way up the ranks.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why everyone runs to the doctors over the flu or some other sickness. Keep them hydrated and make them comfortable. The doctor can't do anything else. No prescriptions, nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)