Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Kids Party (I want the truth)!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am getting straight to the point .....

My daughter turned 3 years old Yeah!, I had her an over the top party ,We had 20 kids to show up and all my family and friends came it was great!..

The plot :

My daughters attends a private school ,  I am a homeroom mom ,a very active parent with the school.I invited my daughter class to the party and only 1 child showed up, and her teachers.( Which was wonderful I love them) My daughter consider all her classmates her friends so wanted them to come. My daughter is 1 of 2  kids of color  in her class.Now with that being said. Why do you think none of the other kids showed up? Is it social issues?  Not knowing what to expect because I am of color?

I go to all parties I am sometime the only black but that does not stop me from going , I don't want to put my kids in box some of my good friends are white.I guess it bothers me that I am good enough to put a class party together and they give me praises for but not good enough to attend my daughter party. I am over thinking? I want the truth!!!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
loisl25
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww! I wish we could have gone! I have no idea why they didn't go. I wouldn't think it had to do with race but only they know for sure... Just a few weeks ago my son went to a friend's party, and the friend was of color too and we didn't care. That same friend came to ds's party last Saturday, too.

MotherOF5Cuties
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Yeah that would upset me too but did they even let you know ahead that they are not coming? the area you live at, are they considered racist at all? jw
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

You are wayyyyy over thinking. I am white and have on occasion had a party like that as a kid. Also, I know a bunch of people that though i told them forget about bringing a damn gift did not come to my daughter's bday party because they were broke so almost no one showed for such a stupid reason and all this free food and candy and treats... well i ate all the food --butt faces-- and lastly ... maybe the parents where just lazy or just because you are active and they smile at you does not mean they like you. Its not uncommon for people to be like "Oh.. her, I bet the party will be over the top because you know so and so always doing everything so perfect"

Waiiit i forgot to mention we are in the mist of an insane and even deadly flu epidemic and some people are avoiding other people --my poor baby girl (3 too) got it and was at the hospital all day today they couldnt release her until she could breathe (though it doesnt sound like it and she keeps asking if she will die! --activated acute asthma).

Not everything is about race. Just because you are aware of your race does not mean others are. I cant count how often strangers call me racist and I think we are all the same. Ive got a little mixed family to prove we all bleed red.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it had anything to do with that. DS recently attended a birthday party for a classmate and he was the only classmate to show up and they're both white. People are busy nowadays...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I would think that they may have had other plans?  I know I wouldn't go to a party just because of skin color.  (I am white).  I honestly see the world and people not their skin color. 

2Blessedmom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I will say its a small town! lol

2Blessedmom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

To answer some questions ,  invites were home on 1/3 and party was on 7/12,I rented a place It was Winter in Wonderland theme , I don't know parents well that's one reason why I wanted to invite class so they can get can get to know me outside of school and possibly set up playdates. Maybe I am trying to hard I just want to get to know the parents. I will wait until she's 5 and try again.lol

I was so nervous about posting ,but it bothered me so much . Thank you so much for all your reponses I like them all . Maybe I am overreacting but I love going to parties,I just wanted to see what everyone thought . Thank you so much!

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I think a lot of people just don't want to be bothered. They don't know you that well, and the kids are very young. My GS was invited to a baby's party from daycare. His dad has him on the weekend. He wont take him.
LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM
People are so wrapped up in their lives these days. They wont show up until the kids are old enough to know there's a party going on and bug their parents to go. It's sad there's less and less a sense of community anymore.

Quoting 2Blessedmom:

To answer some questions ,  invites were home on 1/3 and party was on 7/12,I rented a place It was Winter in Wonderland theme , I don't know parents well that's one reason why I wanted to invite class so they can get can get to know me outside of school and possibly set up playdates. Maybe I am trying to hard I just want to get to know the parents. I will wait until she's 5 and try again.lol

I was so nervous about posting ,but it bothered me so much . Thank you so much for all your reponses I like them all . Maybe I am overreacting but I love going to parties,I just wanted to see what everyone thought . Thank you so much!

jenemiah
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish I had an answer for you. My mom only let me invite ten kids to my little birthday parties.  One year I only had  girl show up, I was 12.  I was crushed. I have to tell you .  Even my family didn't show up.  We are not close knit and they just didn't care.  I expected my friends to show up.  After my one friend left my house I started calling the other kids.  One girl was moving to NYC that day....her parents forgot until I called.  A bunch didn't show from my old school because a close friend  was ran down by a drunk driver, I had no idea.  The last kid on my list didn't show up because she broke her leg and was still in the hospital.  She had a pink cast on Monday.  

There may be a reasonable explaination for the kids not showing up.  If people are inviting you to their parties they must like you.  Ask some of the parents if it is really bothering you.   It is the only way to know for sure.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)