Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Looking for texas moms to give me advice on maybe move?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from moms from texas ... I have no idea any of the areas of texas (good/bad)  and I was hoping to get some help figuring that out. Let me tell you a little more about my self , my family and my reasons for wanting to move. Iam 26 years old and have two kids and a my boyfriend of five years . My children are 4 and 7 .  We are a country family family we love outdoors, hunting , fishing  anything outdoors we love it.  My family would like to move somewhere where there is a good community where you know your neighbors and can make life long relationships.  At the same time I don't want to move somewhere that my neighbors could hear me if I passed gas  HAHA.  I dont know if anyone has seen it but I feel in love with the show hart of dixie and the town of blue bell . I currently live in maine and the job market and opportunity for growth is very low and my  boy friend would easily be able to find a job in the industry he is in and be able to make more money then he does now . We are planning to make a trip in march or so and going to to stay for five days and just drive around . Anything anyone can say would be greatly appreciated thank you

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funhappymom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Hi- I'm not from TX but here's a bump for you. It does sound like it will be a huge move for you. Good luck with it.

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

WeLuvRuckus
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM

thank you

jamamama00
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM

This is a hard one..Texas is so big!  The Hill Country is a very nice area to live in, but it's also one of the most expensive. What type of job does he work? I would imagine that you would want to be in a suburb of one of the bigger metropolitan areas, so there's Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Houston,,,then in west Texas, you have Midland/Odessa, which is booming right now. Anything 'west' is not going to be that pretty...it's very dry out there. Honestly, I don't even know where to start! Texas is probl the size of 5,000 Maines LOL

Reina13
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I wouldn't recommend the surburbs of Austin only because Austin and those suburbs can be pretty pricey and traffic is a NIGHTMARE, day or night.
Im not fond of Houston because it is so big and the crime rate isnt desirable either.
San Antonio is a really nice place to live, but Im not sure what the job market is like there.  There is a lot of military in San Antonio and it's suburbs. 
I would choose the DFW metroplex. There are so many really good suburbs here. The top places I would recommend looking at are McKinney, Frisco, Allen, Plano (can be pricey depending on area), Grapevine, Roanoke, Denton, Southlake (kind of pricey but not sure of your budget), Justin (more rural but still within the metroplex) and Coppell.

There are a lot of major corporations here in Dallas, Plano and the Alliance Cooridor. If you have any questions about this area, you can always message me.

Quoting WeLuvRuckus:

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from moms from texas ... I have no idea any of the areas of texas (good/bad)  and I was hoping to get some help figuring that out. Let me tell you a little more about my self , my family and my reasons for wanting to move. Iam 26 years old and have two kids and a my boyfriend of five years . My children are 4 and 7 .  We are a country family family we love outdoors, hunting , fishing  anything outdoors we love it.  My family would like to move somewhere where there is a good community where you know your neighbors and can make life long relationships.  At the same time I don't want to move somewhere that my neighbors could hear me if I passed gas  HAHA.  I dont know if anyone has seen it but I feel in love with the show hart of dixie and the town of blue bell . I currently live in maine and the job market and opportunity for growth is very low and my  boy friend would easily be able to find a job in the industry he is in and be able to make more money then he does now . We are planning to make a trip in march or so and going to to stay for five days and just drive around . Anything anyone can say would be greatly appreciated thank you

WeLuvRuckus
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Thank you very much .. My boyfriend works as a service technician for gas stations and convient stores , basically he fixes everything to do with the gas pump and he works on the computer systems for the gas pumps and registers . When you pay at the pump , my boyfriend makes sure the computers in there work and communciate with the store inside and that the registers work . Myself I would like to become a vet tech or animal behavioralist. Something else I wanted to add is that my boyfriend and I are really not big fans of having the small fenced in backyard with the fance connected to my neighbors backyard... just would like a little distance . I really appreciate everyones input.you rock

hudson.maggie
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump! I'm moving there next week from Missouri! I'm SUPER excited! I've heard nothig but great things about Texas and there are SOO many opportunities there =).

Good luck!

hudson.maggie
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this

PS- We are moving to dallas/irving area =)

nodramamama311
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM
We live in central Texas. About 45 min south of Abilene. I have also lived in San Antonio( as a teenager and briefly again about 3 yrs ago ), and Austin ( for about 10 yrs during my late 20's/ early 30's ). I hated San Antonio, ugly, dirty and too much traffic. I LOVE Austin but its gotten too big and the traffic is completely outrageous. It also has amazing restaurants and is a super family friendly city with lots of things and activities for all ages.
We are in a small town now an although it gets boring, I sure do not miss the traffic and it's been wonderful for our kids. We also happen to live in the biggest hunting area. We are just getting to the end of hunting season here and there were SO MANY hunters here. Lots of places/lakes to go fishing around here and short drives away. We are 3 hours from Austin, about 3 hours from the Dallas/Fort Worth area and 45 min- an hour drive from many small touristy towns. I like it all alright, like I said I get bored but I'm starting to find things to do. If there's anything else you'd like to know just ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM

We live in San Antonio and love it. If you are looking for a little more "country," the hill country up I-10 is absolutely beautiful and the towns are all really nice. Not so different from a lot of New England towns (I was born in Maine), they have museums and wineries and cutesy shops to visit. I'd recommend not getting too far from one of the major cities just for travel purposes. Texas is a big state, and the only really major airports are San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and Dallas.

nodramamama311
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Also west Texas is really beautiful! We lived in Georgia for a spell and it reminds of there a lot. Big beautiful trees everywhere and very green.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN