Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are you kidding me?

Posted by   + Show Post

So my hubby and I are sitting here watching tv im on my computer and bil who is 7 and lived her for almost 5 months is getting really loud with his legos i asked him to be quiet a little as it is settle down time.  I then had to ask him again and then again for the third time.  I said his name and said please be quiet this is my third time asking.  I wasnt yelling or angry just said it normal he then looks at me and say YOU!  Umm Excuse me?? PISSED ME OFF.  Especially since we have just been sitting here. I said WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME?  DID YOU JUST SAY YOU?  he said yes so i put him on timeout and told him you do not talk to adult like that.  I looked at my hubby and was like r u serious he never talks to me like that what the hell got into him my husband says IDK  BUT AT LEAST HE DIDNT LIE ABOUT WHAT HE SAID..umm okay that still doesnt make it okay.  I tell lil one that he need to take a 15 min bath and its back on time out til bed time  5-10 more minutes.  He gets out of the bath and my husband asks if he drained that tub he says yea you can look.  In a SNOTTY way.  I didnt even hear him say yea all i head was you can look.  even if he did say yes.  doesnt matter still snotty still rude.  He rarely talks to us this way. And I am stern on how you talk to adults parents or whoever.  My husband then starts defending him AGAIN.  Well he said yes then said go look.  Im like are you kidding me?  He is being a lil brat.  Quit defending him.  Now he keeps glaring at me.  I dont know where he learned this crap but he better knock it off fast!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
lostosbourne
by Audi on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Sounds like he is testing you. Hes seeing how far he can push you and what your hubby will do about it. Kids love to do this sometimes and he is at that age where he is figuring things out. My advice is to just stand your ground and if hubby isnt on board with it have a talk with him about it. Tell him how you feel. 

Audi aka LostOsbourne

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

He is only 7 and in a home that doesn't have his parents... You DH is defending him because that is his little brother and is trying his best to make him feel welcomed,, which seems you aren't... My step daughter is 7 and she just lost her mom... she lives with us now and got a little snippy... you know what i did,, i hugged her and told her it was ok to be sad and mad and to cry and you know what she did,, she hugged me and cried... he freaking misses his parents get over the little attitude and grow up... are you 7? why fight with a 7 yr old. time out if he cusses at you or throws something but a little attitude isn't cause for a major fight... and the "he isnt even ours" comment makes me wonder what kind of parent you are acting as to him... And I feel so bad for that kid... My step daughter knows I love her and I make sure she knows I love her just as much as my bio daughter... I treat them the same and always have even though "she isnt mine" I claim her as mine because im not gonna segregate my children... they are mine and I let them know it... I dont care if you have had the worst day on the planet,, to take it out on a 7 yr old disgusts me...

Mafrierye
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Very well put.

Quoting Anonymous:

He is only 7 and in a home that doesn't have his parents... You DH is defending him because that is his little brother and is trying his best to make him feel welcomed,, which seems you aren't... My step daughter is 7 and she just lost her mom... she lives with us now and got a little snippy... you know what i did,, i hugged her and told her it was ok to be sad and mad and to cry and you know what she did,, she hugged me and cried... he freaking misses his parents get over the little attitude and grow up... are you 7? why fight with a 7 yr old. time out if he cusses at you or throws something but a little attitude isn't cause for a major fight... and the "he isnt even ours" comment makes me wonder what kind of parent you are acting as to him... And I feel so bad for that kid... My step daughter knows I love her and I make sure she knows I love her just as much as my bio daughter... I treat them the same and always have even though "she isnt mine" I claim her as mine because im not gonna segregate my children... they are mine and I let them know it... I dont care if you have had the worst day on the planet,, to take it out on a 7 yr old disgusts me...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
caitipenn
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I did mean "he isnt even ours"  like that.  I ment it as he isnt our kid so he was raised differently.  I was angry and just expressing to this site instead of out loud.  I love this kid very much.  when his mom tried to take him back (and have him live in a care) i flipped out.  I love having him here dont get me wrong but its hard. Emotionally physically and mentally.  He had barely any schooling or disapline before coming to us.  So sometimes i do have to step back and remember that he isnt our child we didnt raise him like we would raise our children and give him some slack considering what he has had so far in life. 

Quoting Mafrierye:

I'm sensing anger and resentment especially when you say "he isn't even ours". Not one loving remark in your rant. For Christ's sake, remember he's a child.

salleeturner
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

WOW!  Parenting is the hardest job in the world, and babies don't come with an instructional manual.

Your child should not talk to anyone like that.  You and your husband should present a united front to him, and not discuss your differences of opinion in front of him.  You are right.  He is acting like a brat ... but only because he knows he can get away with it, and because he knows he can pit you and his father against each other.  After he goes to bed, you and his dad should sit down, agree on some rules, and STICK BY THEM!  Even when it is difficult to do so.  You could have started by taking his Leggos away from him, then using time out if he continued to yell. Consistency is the most important word here.  Kids like to know where they stand and how much they can get away with.  Good luck.

caitipenn
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Wow im sorry for one night we wanted to relax! Since u already ASSUME we dont spend time with him ill enlighten u n let u know we are always taking him to the park. Playing board games he loves trouble n sorry. Playing video games with him. Taking him to jump houses ect. And every tues is pizza family night. Just fyi. We do get off our buts n spend time with him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hes 7 get off your computer and turn off the tv and give him some family support, sit on the floor and play with the boy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitipenn
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
He actually isnt our kid. He is my bil. My husbands lil brother they have a 18 year difference between them. He has lived with us for about 5 month. And thanks for being understanding. We r not parents i actually miscarraged last july. My due date was suppose to be feb 8th. So everything is new to us. Especially taking in a kid at 7 who u previously did raise prior to that.

Quoting salleeturner:

WOW!  Parenting is the hardest job in the world, and babies don't come with an instructional manual.

Your child should not talk to anyone like that.  You and your husband should present a united front to him, and not discuss your differences of opinion in front of him.  You are right.  He is acting like a brat ... but only because he knows he can get away with it, and because he knows he can pit you and his father against each other.  After he goes to bed, you and his dad should sit down, agree on some rules, and STICK BY THEM!  Even when it is difficult to do so.  You could have started by taking his Leggos away from him, then using time out if he continued to yell. Consistency is the most important word here.  Kids like to know where they stand and how much they can get away with.  Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitipenn
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
He actually isnt our kid. He is my bil. My husbands lil brother they have a 18 year difference between them. He has lived with us for about 5 month. And thanks for being understanding. We r not parents i actually miscarraged last july. My due date was suppose to be feb 8th. So everything is new to us. Especially taking in a kid at 7 who u previously did raise prior to that.

Quoting salleeturner:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitipenn
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I know it sounded bitchy after.  But i am not his mother.  He will eventually go back to her (he doesnt have a dad) Its very hard to start raising a child at 7.  Thats all i ment by saying he isnt ours.  Like we would have raised him differently if he was ours.  He hasnt been raised with much structure or disapline and we are trying to teach him all these things.  I just get frusterated just like any other person.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with Mafrierye. And add: you came off like a bitcy (not) mom...

Quoting Mafrierye:

I'm sensing anger and resentment especially when you say "he isn't even ours". Not one loving remark in your rant. For Christ's sake, remember he's a child.

little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM

i think you're overreacting.. thats just imo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)