Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Teacher Has Fear of Kids So She Sues School for Making Her Teach Them??

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this

Teacher Has Fear of Kids So She Sues School for Making Her Teach Them

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 15, 2013 

teacherHere's your good laugh for the day. A teacher is suing her former school district because she says they discriminated against her illness. But we're not just talking any illness here. Maria Waltherr-Willard claims to suffer from a fear of children.

I mentioned that she was a teacher, didn't I? Ah, only in America do we have teachers who want money for being forced to teach a bunch of little ankle-biters who give them the willies.

Waltherr-Willard's lawsuit is based on a claim of pedophobia. She says teaching young kids makes her so sick she vomits, suffers chest pains, and has sky-rocketing blood pressure.

As for the rather obvious question -- why was she teaching in the first place -- the Spanish teacher claims she was just fine with high school kids. It was when the Mariemont school district dared to put her in a room with a bunch of junior high kids that her ick factor kicked in. When they wouldn't send her back to the big kids, she retired, and now she wants money from the district. 

This is where I admit I am not a doctor, and refuse to dive into whether pedophobia is legitimate or not.

But I am a member of America's working class, and I do have a tad bit of common sense. This is why I took a job as a writer, sitting at a desk all day, rather than signing up for the Navy SEALs. This asthmatic is not cut out for that kind of training, and I know it.

Unfortunately there are many folks in America who fail to apply common sense to their careers. The guy with a back problem applies for a job that requires heavy lifting and expects the employer to make accommodations. The woman who gets the willies from being around kids decides to be a teacher.

They should be ashamed of themselves for even floating the idea. Instead they take to the courts, abusing the discrimination laws that are on the books, laws that are there to serve a much greater purpose for folks who are truly being hurt by backward bosses.

Yes, employers have an obligation in this country to abide by fair labor practices. But employees should have an obligation to be fair too, to recognize when a job just isn't a good fit -- due to no fault of the employer.

Where do we draw the line between what an employer should have to do to provide a pleasant workplace and what is just plain ludicrous?

Do you think this teacher deserves some money for what she went through, or should she have found a new career?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this

What an idiot! She doesn't deserve any $$$ and should go away before she makes herself sound even more stupid.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

invisibleme
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Theres not that much difference between middle and high school students. I could understand her point a little better if they had moved her to an elementary school. But alas she had the option to turn the job down but didn't. She does not deserve any compensation for this.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

LOL

wait...what?

this teacher...went to school...got a degree FOR teaching...and now wants to sue for the school making her do her job?

OH MY GAGA HOW STUPID!

kim8934
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM
9 moms liked this

jeez, this is just as bad as buying coffee and not knowing it is HOT

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Wow. That can't be real.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

She had better not get one red cent.  SMH

JonesMama
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

So stupid!

WritingMom777
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM
3 moms liked this

I thought that this was a ridiculous case until I read more about it.  Apparently, the teacher, when hired many many years ago, was promised that she would always be able to teach at the high school level.  The school is not questioning her condition and have admitted that they agree that she has it (apparently it is a real condition). 

Also, she taught for 33 years (from 1976 until 2009) at the high school without incident.  It was only AFTER the high school transferred her to the middle school that she began having issues.  Apparently, she tried to get transferred back to the high school but they refused.  So I think we should cut the lady some slack - she taught for 33 years and would have continued to do so if she had been allowed.

Talliana
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM

If she has the exclusion written into her contract the school district loses, if the school distric knew of her certified medical condition then it loses also since it seems to be already accepted as a covered disability. 

Cutenessmom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Thank you I  am with , you on this What a crock  she is pulling a lame as sscam geesh oh Pete! I'm sic kof these kind of people! Shoot Iam afraid of Snakes so I never ever  apply ofr a  job as a Snake Doctor!  I hate tobbacco so you will, never see me working  for the Tobbaco company!

I tihnk she  deserves Jack What an Idiot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN