Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

ice or heat

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 4 Replies

when i'm on my feet for extended periods of time or over exercise i get horrific craps in my knees and calves. i always reach for the heating pad or heat the rice bag up, but talking to my co-workers about it they suggested that i put ice on it. one even said that her doctor told her to put ice hers if they cramp. i would think that ice would keep the muscle tight and continue to cause pain. though it takes awhile for the pain to stop i've always thought that heat would relax the muscle and ease the pain, even make it easier to stretch to help stop it.

is it a personal choice? do you perfer ice or heat for cramping muscles? what has your doctor suggested?

hugs

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jennyanne322
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I always iced.

May I something? You probably have low potassium. Try eating bananas, oranges, and orange juice. It will help with the cramps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto1ryen
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

There's nothing wrong with heat, just know that it causes everything to swell so unless you follow it with ice to bring that swelling back down your not really doing any good. Icy hot patches are awesome to if your at work and can't sit with ice or heat. I also agree with the pp about the cramping.

mommyof2andTTC
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I do both,, my doctor actually told me to heat for 20 minutes and ice for 20 minutes and so on and so forth every 20 minutes for an hour... works AMAZINGLY for me!

Mommy of 2 girls & TTC #3 twin girls & baby dust

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I do think it is a personal choice.  I personally use biofreeze for almost everything.  I did have a dr tell me, for an injury, first 24 hours - use heat, after that use ice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)