Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are we terrible?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

My ds just had a birthday party. Lately dh does all the grocery shopping, because we argue too much over what to get and not get when we both go, lol, plus it's a pain to bring the baby out in public and she's nursed, so I try not to be away from her. I told dh to just get whatever snacks for the party he thought would be good. I usually do a cheese dip in the little crock pot, hot dogs and hamburgers, chips and a veggie tray, plus several different sodas and tea. Ds's b-day is also my b-day and all I had asked for was a day with no chores to do  and dh and dd promised me that aside from caring for the baby, I wouldn't have to lift a finger, so dh was in charge of not just buying the snacks but preparing them as well.

I didn't say anything about food on the invite, and the party was at 2, but one of ds's classmates had recently invited ds to HIS b-day party, which was a sleepover at a resort, with like three meals during the course of the sleepover. Said kid had gone with his parents to IHOP right before our party, but didn't order or eat anything because he thought he was about to have lunch at ds's party.

Dh took out a bag of chips and a container of dip, there was coffee and bottled water, and a FEW cans of soda left from the last grocery trip, (he didn't get any this time). Also there was of course, cake. Dh didn't buy ice cream but we happened to have some already and I brought that out.

I felt so bad that we had so little refreshments for  this! The one kid who recently invited ds to his party kept saying he was hungry and ended up just going back for more chips several times. I finally just made him a sandwich. I would have broken down and made burgers or hot dogs myself even though I wasn't supposed to be doing any work, but we didn't have any hot dogs and there was no hamburger meat thawed out, there was just some in the freezer.  Are we terrible, or is this ok for a 2:00-5 party?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this
A 2pm party I would not expect food. Snacks and cake. That is it.
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Not terrible. I might write a nice note to Mom of the child who was hungry, explaining you put your DH in charge-and that he was a bit clueless.

I wouldn't expect food at a party at 2:00. It's always best to specify though.

Lunch will be served.

Or light refreshments and cake will be served.

I always put IF we were serving a meal-and asking about any food allergies-so every one could eat the cake or I would have a substitute for the kid <s> who could not.

Peepsmastro
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I would not expect a "meal" at a party that begins at 2pm. Just to be safe, I always write "Cake and Ice Cream!" on the invites.

danie24
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM

It's kind of ridiculous that you weren't prepared at all - but no, you're not terrible.

I might not expect a meal at a party that's from 2-5 but I would expect a variety of snacks and refreshments. Like finger foods, etc.

Your husband knew he was shopping for a birthday party, didn't he? LOL

connie45
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
I believe a scheduled 3 hour party should have more food. But that's how my family is. We go overboard anytime we entertain. When it comes to parties, do it up right.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Well, we were prepared in every other way except for the food. He did know. I specifically told him to get whatever he thought would be suitable for party food. All he did, I think, that he wouldn't have otherwise done grocery wise is to get one more container of dip than usual. Even as far as the chips, he didn't buy any more than he normally did. In fact, I think he normally buys more chips than that. The chips and soda are a recurring sore spot around this house, actually. I don't think we need them, (unless there is a party), he thinks they are staples that must be in our house at all times, and yet, he didn't buy soda, like he usually does. Even if he'd bought the normal amount of soda, it would have been enough, cuz he buys cases and cases, but this time, nope.

Quoting danie24:

It's kind of ridiculous that you weren't prepared at all - but no, you're not terrible.

I might not expect a meal at a party that's from 2-5 but I would expect a variety of snacks and refreshments. Like finger foods, etc.

elkmomma
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

It's just one more lesson for kids and adults to learn that even Mom and Dad are human and not perfect. 

momamanda
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I do all my parties at 2 because no one expects food just snacks and cake. Sometimes that's all we do and sometimes we will do pizza but rarely only if the birthday child requests is. So no you are not terrible the parents should have known better!

momamanda
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I rarely do a bunch of snacks at a childs birthday party. I put more focus on the games Then on the food

Quoting danie24:

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I would have at least expected finger foods and cake.  Not a meal though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN