Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I don't understand, help the naive person

Posted by   + Show Post

Can someone please help me understand this whole gun debate issue. I honestly don't understand why someone would need an assault rifle or a gun that can fire 100 rounds in a minute. I understand wanting a regular gun to protect your family. I just don't understand why anyone would need such a powerful gun.

Also, for those who say they shouldn't be banned. How do you propose guns are kept out of criminals hands? How do you prevent people who should have never been allowed to buy the gun from getting them?

Please keep it civil ladies. I am honestly curious to hear others thoughts on this.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting vinny25:

only the people who obey the law will  give up their guns, leaving the criminals at an advantage. there is such thing as a black market and only the criminals will be left with guns. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

What about the mentally ill? It seems the only shootings that we hear about are by the mentally ill who never should have had access to weapons. They are far more common than shootings by the everyday average criminal. How do we keep guns away from these large numbers of mentally ill shooters?

lga1965
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rach7224:

Well if our government gets them what would we do if we needed to protect ourselves from our own government? We have the right to bear arms so that our government cannot overpower us. Im ok with more strict guidelines and mental evals etc. The last question is something that i cannot answer. Criminalsshouldnt have guns but they find ways no matter what laws or regulations there are because...well they dont care about the law lol.

WE won't have to protect ourselves from the government and nobody will be talking away your guns. Really. Please relax. We still have the 2nd amendment---we can BEAR arms. The President can't do anything about that.

Criminals AND mentally ill still can get guns. How can we stop that?That is THE question.

lga1965
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Good reply---good points! You make so much sense...and that is rare at CM.

you rock

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand people's problem with the "well regulated" portion of  maintaining a well regulated militia. Regulated clip capacity, regulating the types of firearms civilians can own, regulating ownership by use of universal background checks  does not take away anyone's constitutional right to bear arms.  I also do not believe the spin that a well regulated militia was meaning a militia to defend itself against our government. It was written in that manner because at the time the US did not have a standing regulated government military.  Militias of civilians were used in place of the military. We have a government ran military, the national guard is the civilian equivalent to a regulated militia.  Too many people are trying to construe the right to bear arms to fit their own paranoia and agenda.

CountryLayne
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Quoting cjsmom1:

Can someone please help me understand this whole gun debate issue. I honestly don't understand why someone would need an assault rifle or a gun that can fire 100 rounds in a minute. I understand wanting a regular gun to protect your family. I just don't understand why anyone would need such a powerful gun. No one needs an assault rifle except the military, while they are deployed and in the fields (my opinion).

Also, for those who say they shouldn't be banned. How do you propose guns are kept out of criminals hands? How do you prevent people who should have never been allowed to buy the gun from getting them? I personally do not like guns. I do not own one, and never will. However, I do not think all guns should be banned. The thing is, no matter how many laws are put into affect, no matter how many hoops they add for people to have to jump through to get a gun, there is always going to be a black market and illegal gun "sales". There is no possible way to stop all of it.

I think it is important for guns to stay out of the hands of those who are mentally ill, who have a criminal background, and out of the hands of children (with the exception of those who use them with parental supervision, for sport). If this means that there are more steps added for a person to purchase one, then that is a step in the right direction, in my opinion.

Please keep it civil ladies. I am honestly curious to hear others thoughts on this.

Rach7224
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM
I wasnt being confrontational.... so i think you read it in the wrong context and your response was a bit dramatic.
My bad for autocorrect on my phone. Bear arms.
I wasnt saying they would take my guns at all. However I dont think they should limit a law abiding citizens rights because of what criminals AND mentally ill do wrongfully with a weapon, regardless if it is a gun or not.
And i agree that is the question that needs answered. I wrote criminals for a fast answer but i did include mental evaluations in my reply.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Rach7224:

Well if our government gets them what would we do if we needed to protect ourselves from our own government? We have the right to bear arms so that our government cannot overpower us. Im ok with more strict guidelines and mental evals etc. The last question is something that i cannot answer. Criminalsshouldnt have guns but they find ways no matter what laws or regulations there are because...well they dont care about the law lol.

WE won't have to protect ourselves from the government and nobody will be talking away your guns. Really. Please relax. We still have the 2nd amendment---we can BEAR arms. The President can't do anything about that.

Criminals AND mentally ill still can get guns. How can we stop that?That is THE question.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luzianagurl
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I understand that we have the right to bear arms and that right, hopefully, cannot be taken away from us. The guns they are talking about ensuring we don't get our hands on....fine with most of us since we're not out fighting overseas. However, I would like to know how they are going to evaluate every tom dick and harry prior to getting a gun...one of my brothers for example, shouldn't have a gun, mentally ill, but is super smart and could,if he wanted to, pull off an evaluation test. It takes  loved ones to teach and watch over these people that should never ever get their hands on guns. Just watching a tv show could set a mentally unstable person off and then who knows what could happen if the gun cabinet is unlocked or they don't hear that voice of their family member explaining right from wrong atop the other voices in their head.

vinny25
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM
The Colorado shooting was done by man who was in college for rocket science. He was extremely smart and no one woukd have ever known he was mentally ill. I do believe if you are bi-polar or have some kind of mental problem, you probably shouldn't have guns. With thay being said, most pregnant women end up have post partum depression or anger issues while pregnant and if you get help for it, it goes straight into your file. So if later diwn the road, you decide to buy a gun, they wont let you because they see you've been treated with anti-depressants. Now I know most women wont go buy an ak-47 I'm just saying a regular handgun (that with the assumption of banning all firearms) but yes mentally disturbed men and women should probably never own a firearm.

Excuse the awful spelling, I'm on my phone and even tho its called a smart phone, it doesn't seem to act like it most times :)

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting vinny25:

only the people who obey the law will  give up their guns, leaving the criminals at an advantage. there is such thing as a black market and only the criminals will be left with guns. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

What about the mentally ill? It seems the only shootings that we hear about are by the mentally ill who never should have had access to weapons. They are far more common than shootings by the everyday average criminal. How do we keep guns away from these large numbers of mentally ill shooters?

vinny25
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM
And actually I don't remember hearing if he had a mental illness but I could be wrong

Quoting vinny25:

The Colorado shooting was done by man who was in college for rocket science. He was extremely smart and no one woukd have ever known he was mentally ill. I do believe if you are bi-polar or have some kind of mental problem, you probably shouldn't have guns. With thay being said, most pregnant women end up have post partum depression or anger issues while pregnant and if you get help for it, it goes straight into your file. So if later diwn the road, you decide to buy a gun, they wont let you because they see you've been treated with anti-depressants. Now I know most women wont go buy an ak-47 I'm just saying a regular handgun (that with the assumption of banning all firearms) but yes mentally disturbed men and women should probably never own a firearm.

Excuse the awful spelling, I'm on my phone and even tho its called a smart phone, it doesn't seem to act like it most times :)

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting vinny25:

cothmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM

They banned drugs people still sell them and are able to get to them they banned sassafrass oil and still people have it horse meat is banned yet i know a butcher down the street that sells it  four loco energy drinks banned yet kids still have them.....do you see where im going here just because the government says no doesnt mean the people listen and honestly i feel safer with a gun then without mostly the more powerful the better competition shooting and if you look the difference between an assult rifle and a rife is an assult rifle is capable of both semi automatic and full automatic fire with a one pull trigger a rifle is only fired once each time the trigger is pulled and the ammo varies the assult rifle is smaller and is able to carry more the semi automatic have larger wich means one of two thing bigger clip still carrying the same amount or more clips longer reload time :) hope i helped

Titana
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM
For me that's the scary part. If u take my guns away and a criminal breaks in my house with one, how will I defend my babies?

Quoting cjsmom1:

You're right criminals will find  a way to get it. I know NYC has the strictest gun laws and people just go out of state to get guns.

Quoting Titana:

All I'm going to say is just because something is illegal doesn't mean no one will have it or do it. If guns are banned (some or all it doesn't matter) criminals will still have them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)