Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I don't understand, help the naive person

Posted by   + Show Post

Can someone please help me understand this whole gun debate issue. I honestly don't understand why someone would need an assault rifle or a gun that can fire 100 rounds in a minute. I understand wanting a regular gun to protect your family. I just don't understand why anyone would need such a powerful gun.

Also, for those who say they shouldn't be banned. How do you propose guns are kept out of criminals hands? How do you prevent people who should have never been allowed to buy the gun from getting them?

Please keep it civil ladies. I am honestly curious to hear others thoughts on this.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (111-115):
pj2becca21
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

So when did a semi auto rifle learn to shot a hundred rounds a min? 

How do i propose we keep guns away from criminals, by not taking them away from law abiding citizens. criminals will always be able to get guns. that is a know fact. but if we keep the people armed they will be less of them 

Titana
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Lol neither....all I was saying is I own a handgun and my SO has numerous rifles that we do not want to give up. I was simply saying that even if they are illegal many criminals AND sociopaths will still get whatever they want (black market etc)

Quoting EireLass:

I know I'm jumping into the middle of this conversation. Are you saying you couldn't protect your family without a semi-automatic? Are you saying your shot is so poor that you couldn't do it with a pistol?

Quoting Titana:

Sorry, I still want to have my gun to protect my family myself. There r plenty of sociopaths that will still get weapons and kill.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

So let the FBI and ATF deal with those people. It'll at least stop the average sociopath, who has limited resources. Those are the ones who commit shooting sprees on innocent people.

Quoting Titana:

I agree to a point. I think ut would deter some people but not even close to all of them. Black market etc.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

No, but it might make it a little harder for Johnny Nutbag to blow away half the first grade with mommy's semi-automatic rifle.

Quoting Titana:

All I'm going to say is just because something is illegal doesn't mean no one will have it or do it. If guns are banned (some or all it doesn't matter) criminals will still have them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GertieK
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

While it seems logical to think that it will make it harder for criminals to get what you are calling an "assault rifle" (which is virtually any gun in reality), it WILL make it impossible for the good guys to get them and stop the crimials.  There has YET to be a good, logical, well thought out explanation presented that explains exactly how banning any gun will make people safer.  When you take guns away from the good guys, all you will do is create a great environment for the bad guys.  These hollywood types make me sick.  All their big emotional appeals for gun bans, and making millions off of their violent movies.  Living their lives in their mansions with their armed guards.  Sending their kids to schools with armed guards.  Pfft.  What a bunch of hypocrits.  This country is the frog in the pot of boiling water.  We are slowly being boiled by the government taking away our constitutionally guaranteed rights.  People who speak up and say NO are delegated to the "crazy" portion of  the population...accused of not caring about our kids... etc.  This country's founders knew that a government with no restraints would not operate with the rights of the people as their guide.  I guarantee that i care about the kids in this country as much as anyone.  I also know that it is our freedom to defend ourselves against whomever we need to that keeps us safe and free.  Taking guns away from sane caring people does not make America a safer place.

Quoting ChloeDolce1:

I couldn't agree more.  There is NO good reason what-so-ever than any general person needs an assault rifle. 

Yes if something is made illegal it doesn't mean someway somehow a criminal can't aquire it...but it will make it much harder at least

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Gotcha. Ok. And I agree. Nothing matters what we do as 'good law-abiding citizens'....the bad guy will always get his guns.

Quoting Titana:

Lol neither....all I was saying is I own a handgun and my SO has numerous rifles that we do not want to give up. I was simply saying that even if they are illegal many criminals AND sociopaths will still get whatever they want (black market etc)
Quoting EireLass:

I know I'm jumping into the middle of this conversation. Are you saying you couldn't protect your family without a semi-automatic? Are you saying your shot is so poor that you couldn't do it with a pistol?

Quoting Titana:

Sorry, I still want to have my gun to protect my family myself. There r plenty of sociopaths that will still get weapons and kill.
Quoting LilyofPhilly:

So let the FBI and ATF deal with those people. It'll at least stop the average sociopath, who has limited resources. Those are the ones who commit shooting sprees on innocent people.
Quoting Titana:

I agree to a point. I think ut would deter some people but not even close to all of them. Black market etc.
Quoting LilyofPhilly:

No, but it might make it a little harder for Johnny Nutbag to blow away half the first grade with mommy's semi-automatic rifle.
Quoting Titana:

All I'm going to say is just because something is illegal doesn't mean no one will have it or do it. If guns are banned (some or all it doesn't matter) criminals will still have them.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)