Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I don't understand, help the naive person

Posted by   + Show Post

Can someone please help me understand this whole gun debate issue. I honestly don't understand why someone would need an assault rifle or a gun that can fire 100 rounds in a minute. I understand wanting a regular gun to protect your family. I just don't understand why anyone would need such a powerful gun.

Also, for those who say they shouldn't be banned. How do you propose guns are kept out of criminals hands? How do you prevent people who should have never been allowed to buy the gun from getting them?

Please keep it civil ladies. I am honestly curious to hear others thoughts on this.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
vinny25
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM
So mayb there is no way of knowing who is crazy or who is not just buy a background check. Because if someone who is under care an under medications shouldnt be deprived of their right. But then there's the possibility that they decide to to get off their meds and kill a school.

There's really no way of protecting ourselves is it?

Quoting Saphira1207:

The NYS Office of Mental Health's Acting Commissioner Kristin M. Woodlock recently spoke about this issue.  I can't copy/paste it - my browser won't let me(sigh) - but she makes it very clear in her address that the large portion of mentally ill are harmless.   

The very few who do act violently are just that,  very few and most likely not under any care.

After working in the mental health field for the last 2 years I can attest to that.  Most of them are more interested in their own drama than they are in doing any one else any harm.  The 2 (out of thousends I've seen) that were violent had things like fetal alcohol syndrome (that needed a med adjustment to go back under control) and/or were new to the services so they hadn't gotten the meds properly adjusted yet.  After they had some counseling and the right dosages, they became harmless.  In fact, they came back and apologized for their behavior.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting vinny25:

only the people who obey the law will  give up their guns, leaving the criminals at an advantage. there is such thing as a black market and only the criminals will be left with guns. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

What about the mentally ill? It seems the only shootings that we hear about are by the mentally ill who never should have had access to weapons. They are far more common than shootings by the everyday average criminal. How do we keep guns away from these large numbers of mentally ill shooters?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We have a half dozen guns in the house, some sentimental value (grandfather hand down), etc. Some hunting, some personal protection. I think the largest magazine holds 9, not sure. I don't understand the reason someone would need an 'assault' weapon (at least what you women are referring to). It's not good for hunting. If you can't kill with the first bullet, you're ruining the meat by cause of adrenalin and other hormone rushes in the animal that may die on the 2nd or 3rd bullet. Go back to the range and practice kill on first shot.

I have not been able to handle my gun for the past 2 years due to a hand/wrist injury....shredded tendons, ligaments, cartialge....surgery....metal...etc. I finallu picked up my 30 year old revolver last week......this is what I did.

3" target...at 30'....rapid fire.....yes, I'd call that an assault weapon.

Rach7224
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM
No im not. And i dont have a leader... you crazy broad. Lol

Quoting PortiaRose:

OMG. Wow. Are you a doomsday prepper, you crazy broad?

There will be no uprising... I know your leader has been telling you that but he just wants to fuck you and get money out of you.

Quoting Rach7224:

Well if our government gets them what would we do if we needed to protect our selves from our own government? We have the right to bare arms so that our government cannot over power us. Im ok with more strict guidelines and mental evals etc. The last question is something that i cannot answer. Criminalsshouldnt have guns but they find ways no matter what laws or regilations there are because...well they dont care about the law lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Who are you, Humphrey Bogart? ha

Quoting PortiaRose:

OMG. Wow. Are you a doomsday prepper, you crazy broad?
There will be no uprising... I know your leader has been telling you that but he just wants to fuck you and get money out of you.

Quoting Rach7224:

Well if our government gets them what would we do if we needed to protect our selves from our own government? We have the right to bare arms so that our government cannot over power us. Im ok with more strict guidelines and mental evals etc. The last question is something that i cannot answer. Criminalsshouldnt have guns but they find ways no matter what laws or regilations there are because...well they dont care about the law lol.

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

First of all, it needs to be known that any gun at all is an assault weapon.  Whether you are firing 1 shot or 30 shots at a person, it is an assault.  I'm getting tired of people who are for gun control saying that they will not be banning the types of guns that civilians use for protection of their family.  If our government successfully bans assault weapons, they can take every gun.  Especially with Obama in office who has a way of saying something totally different than he means.  You remember hearing "change"...what he never mentioned was that the change he had in mind was to run our country into the ground. 

Second, why would civilians need a gun that rapidly fires 100 rounds?   Because our government has them, plain and simple.   We have seen too many times what happens when the government takes guns away from the people....remember Hitler?  

It would be virtually imppossible to get guns out of the hands of criminals, therefore we need to be able to protect ourselves.  Apparently some people will do that by throwing their hands in the air and hoping for the best.  Personally I prefer to wrap both hands around my pistol - that is the kind of gun control we believe in at this house.   

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The problem is that many people don't get diagnosed until adulthood. All of a sudden they hit some point and have a meantel breakdown. I work in a psych hospital and we had a young man come in who was in med school to be a doctor who out of no where became truly psychotic.

Quoting lga1965:

What about the mentally ill? It seems the only shootings that we hear about are by the mentally ill who never should have had access to weapons. They are far more common than shootings by the everyday average criminal. How do we keep guns away from these large numbers of mentally ill shooters?

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agee with you. I have never even held a gun, but I have no problem with people owning them as long as they're safe about it.

Quoting CountryLayne:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Can someone please help me understand this whole gun debate issue. I honestly don't understand why someone would need an assault rifle or a gun that can fire 100 rounds in a minute. I understand wanting a regular gun to protect your family. I just don't understand why anyone would need such a powerful gun. No one needs an assault rifle except the military, while they are deployed and in the fields (my opinion).

Also, for those who say they shouldn't be banned. How do you propose guns are kept out of criminals hands? How do you prevent people who should have never been allowed to buy the gun from getting them? I personally do not like guns. I do not own one, and never will. However, I do not think all guns should be banned. The thing is, no matter how many laws are put into affect, no matter how many hoops they add for people to have to jump through to get a gun, there is always going to be a black market and illegal gun "sales". There is no possible way to stop all of it.

I think it is important for guns to stay out of the hands of those who are mentally ill, who have a criminal background, and out of the hands of children (with the exception of those who use them with parental supervision, for sport). If this means that there are more steps added for a person to purchase one, then that is a step in the right direction, in my opinion.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You are completely right, you never know what will set them off and how they'll react. The other issue is many people aren't diagnosed until they're adults or some traumatic event may cause them to have a mental breakdown.

Quoting luzianagurl:

I understand that we have the right to bear arms and that right, hopefully, cannot be taken away from us. The guns they are talking about ensuring we don't get our hands on....fine with most of us since we're not out fighting overseas. However, I would like to know how they are going to evaluate every tom dick and harry prior to getting a gun...one of my brothers for example, shouldn't have a gun, mentally ill, but is super smart and could,if he wanted to, pull off an evaluation test. It takes  loved ones to teach and watch over these people that should never ever get their hands on guns. Just watching a tv show could set a mentally unstable person off and then who knows what could happen if the gun cabinet is unlocked or they don't hear that voice of their family member explaining right from wrong atop the other voices in their head.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Where there's a will there's a way and people will get their hands on these weapons even if they're illegal. Why not make it harder? I'm all for stricter punishments for people breaking the law when it comes to guns. I don't believe we should take away the right to own a gun , just take away these guns that fire so many shots at once.

Quoting cothmommy:

They banned drugs people still sell them and are able to get to them they banned sassafrass oil and still people have it horse meat is banned yet i know a butcher down the street that sells it  four loco energy drinks banned yet kids still have them.....do you see where im going here just because the government says no doesnt mean the people listen and honestly i feel safer with a gun then without mostly the more powerful the better competition shooting and if you look the difference between an assult rifle and a rife is an assult rifle is capable of both semi automatic and full automatic fire with a one pull trigger a rifle is only fired once each time the trigger is pulled and the ammo varies the assult rifle is smaller and is able to carry more the semi automatic have larger wich means one of two thing bigger clip still carrying the same amount or more clips longer reload time :) hope i helped

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I agree with you.

Quoting Saphira1207:

And I would also like to say that "gun control" and blaming mental illness for violence are both just cop-outs.

They keep us from having to deal with the real issue, and that is  - We live in a society that is so hyperidiviualistic that anyone wanting or needing help from the community is, essentially if not literally, told to suck it up and deal with it on their own.

However, humans were never meant to deal with life on their own.  We're social animals that need each other in order to survive and, more importantly, to maintain both our mental and physical health.  Neither of which can we do well if we're always being told to find a way on our own and to eat whatever we can find/afford regardless of its nutritional value.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)