Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Stopping her medication

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

My mom said her and my grandmother's doctor are stopping her alzheimer's medicatons, what does that mean?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Is it not helping??
clp0930
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it not helping??

I'm guessing not, her dr also ended her cymbalta

wingsfan1234
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM

either it is not helping, their alzheimer's disease has progressed far enough that it will not longer help or they are refusing to take it/insurance isn't covering something of that sort

sorry you're having to deal with this .. I am as well.. my Grandfather passed in 1995 from it, my Grandmother, and DHs Grandmother both have been diagnosed in recent years too :(  

clp0930
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Quoting wingsfan1234:

either it is not helping, their alzheimer's disease has progressed far enough that it will not longer help or they are refusing to take it/insurance isn't covering something of that sort

sorry you're having to deal with this .. I am as well.. my Grandfather passed in 1995 from it, my Grandmother, and DHs Grandmother both have been diagnosed in recent years too :(  

I think it has progressed. It may sound morbid but I hope she goes quickly, my grandfather suffered for years it was so sad.

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Alzheimer's meds will just slow down the rate of the disease.  Stopping the meds can cause a sharp decline.  My mom was on meds for Alzheimer's (1 for the disease and 1 to help retain memory) and they caused a mental change in her and made no difference in her memory.  She went from being a happy, although somewhat confused and forgetful pleasant person to a mean lady who was accusing everyone around her of stealing from her (very typical in Alzheimer's cases for them to believe their possessions are being taken away).  I took her off the meds and she went back to the happy person she had been all her life.  Her disease has not progressed at the rate I was afraid it might after stopping her meds, although I've heard it can be a very rapid decline, and I am loving that she is a happy delightful person again. 

clp0930
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Quoting grannie_kel:

Alzheimer's meds will just slow down the rate of the disease.  Stopping the meds can cause a sharp decline.  My mom was on meds for Alzheimer's (1 for the disease and 1 to help retain memory) and they caused a mental change in her and made no difference in her memory.  She went from being a happy, although somewhat confused and forgetful pleasant person to a mean lady who was accusing everyone around her of stealing from her (very typical in Alzheimer's cases for them to believe their possessions are being taken away).  I took her off the meds and she went back to the happy person she had been all her life.  Her disease has not progressed at the rate I was afraid it might after stopping her meds, although I've heard it can be a very rapid decline, and I am loving that she is a happy delightful person again. 

Thats good. She used to be chatty and active now she seems quiet and sad.

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you see a change in her for the better.  Either way, being on the meds or being off may not extend her life, but perhaps could make the quality of her life better for the time she does have left.  I have never regretted taking my mom off her meds.  She was diagnosed at age 84, on meds until age 86 and she is now 92 and still a joy to so many people. 

Quoting clp0930:

Quoting grannie_kel:

Thats good. She used to be chatty and active now she seems quiet and sad.

deltathree
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope it goes well.

kaitybird
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs to you.  We just went through all of this with my mother.  She was only 69 when she died from this ugly disease.  Though it is tough with all the meds that they can be on, no one really knows how they all interact with each other!  My mother didn't go downhill until she choked on a piece of food one day then it was rather quick.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN