Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

School Tells Bullied Sixth Grader to Get a Breast Reduction

Posted by   + Show Post

School Tells Bullied Sixth Grader to Get a Breast Reduction

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on January 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

boobies braceletIn every grade school class there is that one girl who develops way ahead of the pack. She's the envy of some, the nightmare of others, and an easy target for bullies. And for one sixth grade girl in Missouri, the bullying got really out of control when it started coming from her school administrators who told the 13-year-old to get a breast reduction!

Well, the school got one thing right -- something needs to be done about the boobs. And by that I mean the administrators who would dare tell a child that their body is the problem.

What's next? Telling the overweight girl that she needs to take up an eating disorder so people will leave her alone? Or maybe the schools will start requiring plastic surgery for the kid with the port wine stain?

Or, you know, we could just tell the bullies where to shove it.

Sigh. I wish I could re-write this story for this poor girl, that school administrators would have done their jobs and told the kids picking on her breasts to grow up.

But for some reason this "blame the victim" mentality seems to be entrenched in schools all across this country. It's not just the boobs in the Riverview Gardens School District. A mom recently related that her son was being called a gay slur by his classmates. The school's response? They told her to cut her son's hair.

This is just what the bullies want -- they want to make life harder for their victims, and when districts turn on the kids who are being wronged, they're playing right into their hands. This poor girl is simply growing. She can't help that. But in telling her to get a breast reduction, the school is trying to make science and nature the bad guy here instead of the kids who need to learn some compassion.

Is it any wonder kids are bullies? We still have adults who work with kids and who find it acceptable to treat kids as if their naturally developing bodies are a problem. Until the adults change, this is not going to stop!

Have you dealt with a "blame the victim" issue in your district? What happened?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (171-180):
jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

That was me when I was in the 6th grade. I was a large a B cup by 8.5 or so, a full C by 9.5-10, and a very full DD by the time I went into the 6th grade(I am now a 38F). I was bullied for it and boys thought it was okay to grab my breasts. It was awful and it makes me sad that girls are still going through this! But I can't believe that an adult would say those things! Unbelievable! 

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM

this is how cafemom is.  they leave out the boring information but mention all the comments that will cause the most drama.

i'm sure if you googled this, you will be able to get the whole story.

here, watch this:

click here

Quoting Threes.Company:

Where's the rest of the story about the breast reduction comment?  I find it odd that an administrator would say such a thing.  I've worked in 4 different schools.  I have never met an administrator who would say such a thing.  I am wondering what the context was of the comment, if it was made at all.  This post leaves a lot of details out.  Obviously I don't think the child should be told to get surgery to fix a bullying issue.  No one does!  Which is why I am wondering what really happened.  Even the article (link) said the school district was "looking into it".  So, we don't really know what happened yet.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mashnut3161
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Thats bullshit, That principal needs his/her ass kicked

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

no, it was worse than the teachers, it was the administrators who told the mom that.

how sad

Quoting Mashnut3161:

Thats bullshit, That principal needs his/her ass kicked

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mashnut3161
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I have a friend that was a 38 HH in 10th grade. she said in 5th grade she was a DD. She couldn't breast feed because they were too large. she had to pump and bottle feed breast milk.

RLT2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

What??!! This cannot be true, please tell me it's not true. Fucked up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I'd bring my kids to my moms house and make sure dh had bail money because HEADS WOULD ROLL!!!!!!!
cdjak
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Hate crimes and discrimination is against the law. Those parents should sue the school district, and the parents of the kids bullying her. 

adamswife08
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I feel so sorry for this girl because i WAS this girl. In elementary school, I had a C cup. It was hard enough to deal with it by myself, much less if kids were to pick on me. If the school told my daughter that she needed to get a breast reduction, they would be in some serious trouble. If you would have asked me this when I was a kid, I would have said bring it on as long as your paying for it lol.

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM

If the punishment fits. . .

Quoting Paperfishies:

Using that logic I guess we can tell the kids who are teasing her to have their tongues removed, so they can't run their mouths.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)