Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Tells Bullied Sixth Grader to Get a Breast Reduction

Posted by   + Show Post

School Tells Bullied Sixth Grader to Get a Breast Reduction

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on January 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

boobies braceletIn every grade school class there is that one girl who develops way ahead of the pack. She's the envy of some, the nightmare of others, and an easy target for bullies. And for one sixth grade girl in Missouri, the bullying got really out of control when it started coming from her school administrators who told the 13-year-old to get a breast reduction!

Well, the school got one thing right -- something needs to be done about the boobs. And by that I mean the administrators who would dare tell a child that their body is the problem.

What's next? Telling the overweight girl that she needs to take up an eating disorder so people will leave her alone? Or maybe the schools will start requiring plastic surgery for the kid with the port wine stain?

Or, you know, we could just tell the bullies where to shove it.

Sigh. I wish I could re-write this story for this poor girl, that school administrators would have done their jobs and told the kids picking on her breasts to grow up.

But for some reason this "blame the victim" mentality seems to be entrenched in schools all across this country. It's not just the boobs in the Riverview Gardens School District. A mom recently related that her son was being called a gay slur by his classmates. The school's response? They told her to cut her son's hair.

This is just what the bullies want -- they want to make life harder for their victims, and when districts turn on the kids who are being wronged, they're playing right into their hands. This poor girl is simply growing. She can't help that. But in telling her to get a breast reduction, the school is trying to make science and nature the bad guy here instead of the kids who need to learn some compassion.

Is it any wonder kids are bullies? We still have adults who work with kids and who find it acceptable to treat kids as if their naturally developing bodies are a problem. Until the adults change, this is not going to stop!

Have you dealt with a "blame the victim" issue in your district? What happened?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (201-210):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:28 AM
It's possible people are mean and sneaky.I've been victim to bull crap like this before and flashed by a security guard in my school.stalked by a teacher.. also hit with a ruler and have a scar from it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I would go to the school and find every little physical flaw with everyone involved and take photos of them , post them on line and invite the world to tell them exactly what is wrong with their bodies. See how they like it. I would take the child out of that school and demand that the school district pay for her to go to a private school or sue the entire district. There would be additional law suits for the person who actually said that she should have surgery.

julesbouge
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like administration should have a job reduction.

Aslen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM
This! I started my period at TEN, and was in a C cup by 11. I would OWN somebody's ass if that were my daughter!

Quoting Retrokitty:

I was one of those girls who developed early. By 10th grade everyone was caught up. My boobs are a perfectly normal size.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
apollothor
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

My ex-mother-in-law & her twin sister were in Catholic school in around 1930 or so and were 12 years old.  They had large breasts for 12 years old and the nuns made them bind them down and their parents went along with it.  How physically painful and emotionally painful that must've been.

sunriz567
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

bullying just happened to my 12 year old granddaughter and her mom had to pull her fromthat school as in this situation the principal and teachers did not do there job properly, what is happening out there that the child is being ostercized instead of the administration being held resposible to teach bullying is not acceptable

mnvixen
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM

If that would have been my kid there would be some ex school administators that is uncalled for. ANd they say that schools are supposed to be a safe place that is cracking down on bullying.

teagsmommy
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
That's actually not true, my sister was told the same thing in 7th grade. She was told to wear looser fitting shirts so her dd breast would be less noticable and maybe she should talk to her mother about reduction surgery. Now my step mom was more than prepared for this problem because both myself and her oldest daughter had suffered bullying at this school for this same reason. It was taken to the school board and the teacher was suspened and made to tell my sister she was sorry. My bullying was just from students and the school nurse sat down with me and explained that my body was beautiful and perfect just the way it was. she said that kids were cruel but i was going to be stronger in the end because i was handling myself very. (This was after i punched a boy in the mouth for trying to grope me after he said i stuffed my bra, i proudly served my detetion and while there that boy told me he was sorry)

Quoting Anonymous:

It's true - the media hypes up anything and everything. No one in their right mind or who had a shred of dignity would say that to a student, particularly one in the field. There is more to this. How do I know? Because I worked as a reporter and the media will print to what sells - exaggeration and sensationalism. Indeed, in light of recent tragic events in schools, the press will jump right on the band wagon with anything school-related. Anger sells. Rage sells. Emotionalism in general is a gold mine. Truth and logic are passe and "dull" to the collective mind of "the public." We write to the 8th grade mentality - is it any wonder that the behavior of those who read it reflects this?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMom29
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I was that girl in grade school.  All the kids were SO rude, and the teachers didn't care...though they never told me to have surgery.  I feel for her.  As a mother, I'd be shaking the rafters off the place.

Mommabird123
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Me too....  someone would be seriously hurting and I'd be in jail.

Quoting hizwifie:

I would be in jail, for kicking some ones ass! That is not ok at all. In a few years, girls will envy her and boys will want her. I cant believe a school would suggest plastic surgery to a 13 year old!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)