Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How do you refer to them?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 17 Replies
Your parents, when talking about them to others?

I mean my husband will be talking to someone and say, " mom told me....". When I speak about my parents I say, " MY mom told me....".

Just curious, it's different to me the way he talks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyldbutterfly
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

My Mom.

JTE11
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I say "my" mum, dad, brother, etc when speaking about family members who aren't my parents. When I talk to my mum or dad about the other I just say Mum or Dad as in "I talked to Mum yesterday...". The 'my' makes no sense in that situation.

sununner36
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My mom.

mayzell
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM

i just say mom and dad

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I say mama or ma told me

Plus-size-mommy
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM
"Mom told me..." I don't say my mom because he claims her as his mom too lol, his birth mom and step mom are both worthless.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRYSTALK1013
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM

My mom, my dad, etc.

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I think either way makes sense.  If you said "mom told me" I think the "my" is implied.  Who else could it mean but my mom? 

What I don't like to hear is "his/her own mother (mom, daughter, son, whatever)" - the suspect killed his own mother... the lady killed her own kids.  It is used only for dramatic purposes, the "own" is never required and I don't think I will ever understand why it is said so often. 

Connie04
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I usually say "My mom...."  I know I sometimes say "Mom...".  It depends who I am talking to and how comfortable I am with them.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM

When I'm talking about my mom, I say, "My mom..."  When referring to my father, it depends on the person I'm talking to.  If it's someone who knows about my father and his past, I usually say something like, "The jackass...," "The bastard...," etc.  If it's someone who doesn't, I say, "My father..."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)