Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should I go back to work or give up this opportunity

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I applied for a job a couple months ago, interviewed just a couple days before I delivered my son. They offered me the job to start after a 6 week maternity leave. My husband is a union carpenter and was out of work so I was given no choice but to return to work asap. He has landed a pretty good job now just 2 weeks before I am suppose to go back to work and he says I can stay home with the kids (newborn and 2 1/2). But the job I was offered is 5 minutes from my house, part time and more money than I was making before. I havent been able to find a job any closer than 45 minutes away in the 5 years Ive been working in the medical field. I dont want to be a sahm forever or even until they go to school. I am thinking the first year or a little less. I am afraid of not being able to find such a great opportunity again and I dont want to give it up because I really love working but my son is just sooooo young and I dont want him in daycare yet.

Should I go back to work or should I stay home for a couple more months?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Oh goodness, tough.. I know what you mean.. I would be thinking, man its five minutes away and the pay is good.. Will I find another job opportunity like this one..  Well, how long do you plan on being a SAHM, as the kids get older daycare gets cheaper..Newborn and 2 and 1/2 year old, pretty young.. If you are able to stay home with them go for it.. Hopefully, another opportunity will come just like it came this time.. Never easy...

Laytons.Mom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I really really want to take the job but I also really really want to keep my newborn out of childcare until he is about a year. I may be willing to go back when he starts crawling atleast but I am not crazy about the idea any younger than that. I have been trying to find a job close to home ever since I graduated. I may be crazy to pass it up but my kids are only this age once, cant get it back. :( #rock and a hard place

websorceress
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Only you can make that decision based on your goals and your financial status......there is always the possiblity you may start this job and find out it's not what you thought it was either.......good luck!

websorceress
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

there is no rock and a hard place, your over thinking this.........if you can financially afford the children you have, children are your first priority........sounds like you have already decided but not ready to admit that......

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We can't make this decision for you; only you can do that.  You just need to really search your heart and if you believe in God ... pray.  Best of luck!

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
This is definitely not as easy decision. You should consider:
1. Is your husbands job secure?
2. Do you think you'll be able to find a job when you decide to go back?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ponceyluna
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Its really hard decisiĆ³n to make u need to talk to your partner and se the good and bad thinks to be onest i will Take the job its hard to find someting good :)
sirkokobean
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Wow talk to them at the office, maybe you can work something out.  I would kill to be 5 minutes from home and for more money.  Maybe since you are only going to be parttime you could bring newborn with you to work?

Laytons.Mom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Would be awesome to take the baby to work but I am a medical assistant working the back office. Would be really difficult to have a newborn with me. I think I am going to talk to them and see if they can postpone my start date, maybe a couple weeks or months. If not, looks like I will be going back to work. I just dont think I can pass up the location and pay.

Quoting sirkokobean:

Wow talk to them at the office, maybe you can work something out.  I would kill to be 5 minutes from home and for more money.  Maybe since you are only going to be parttime you could bring newborn with you to work?

JenniferP96
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
How stable is your dh's position? Could he be laid off again anytime soon? If yes, then take the job
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)