Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

5-Year-Old Girl Suspended For Making a 'Terrorist Threat' -- With Her Hello Kitty Bubble Gun??

Posted by   + Show Post

5-Year-Old Girl Suspended For Making a 'Terrorist Threat' -- With Her Hello Kitty Bubble Gun

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on January 21, 2013 

It's not news that there is a zero tolerance policy in schools over a whole range of issues -- kids are punished for everything from eating mints to a wearing a weird hairstyle. So I guess this story shouldn't come as a total surprise. But it's still unbelievably wacky. A 5-year-old girl was reportedly suspended from kindergarten for threatening to shoot another child -- with her Hello Kitty bubble gun!

The unidentified little girl was suspended for making a "terrorist threat" with her bubble gun. Apparently the girl had suggested that she and a friend "shoot each other" -- um, with bubbles -- and the girl didn't even have the gun on her at school.

She was originally suspended for 10 days, but after the family lawyered up, it was reduced to two. But the family wants this incident wiped from her record entirely. Says the family lawyer:

This little girl is the least terroristic person in Pennsylvania. This logic, which was not said in malice, came from the mind of this beautiful 5-year-old child who was playing with her friends, whom she hugs every day.

The girl received a psychological evaluation, and was found to be no threat to others. Says her mother:

All I know is what my daughter has told me and she said she was told she could go to jail, which is a very traumatic thing for a 5-year-old to live with.

Well, the school was between a rock and a hard place here. It's not unheard of for very young children to bring real guns to school. And if she'd said something, and then something bad DID happen, and it was found out the school did nothing about it, then they'd be sued for that. (Note the word "trauma" here: The standard legal byword for "we're going to sue you.")

I personally don't think there should be toys in the shape of guns being sold to kids. And I don't think kids should play with them. But since they are legal, and kids do play with them, then how are you going to prevent kids from talking about them while at school?

A better tack here might have been to call the parents and have a conference between them and the child, and explain why one should never threaten to shoot another child -- even if it's just with bubbles.

Should this little girl have been suspended? What should the school have done?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (221-228):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I dont thank the school is going to far. She thretened another kids life. the school should do something to show the kids that its not ok to do that. Even if it was just a toy.

Renah
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Doesn't ths school have bigger problems than this? I mean BUBBLES, come on talk about a waste of time!!!
Aamy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Draw back the claws there sweetie. I stated YESTERDAY that i had read it wrong and that yes i thought the school was in the wrong. So nice try. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She didn't take it to school. She TALKED about it. Let the same thing happen to your kid for playing "cops and robbers" or drawing a gun or even talking about one....you will be up in arms as well.

Quoting Aamy:

Oh well, zero tolerance is ZERO tolerance. Guess the parents should of been smarter and not allowed her to take it to school. 

Acalhoun
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Suspension - no.

The zero tolerance policies are another example of how warped society's perspective has become.  They are good in that they help provide guidelines for punishng students if they DO threaten others in some fashion. They are not good in the fact that they are open to interpretation, many of which are completely ridiculous, like this story.

The school should have called the parents and arranged a conference.  Suspending a 5 year old for being a 5 year old is way out of line.

Bonita131
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Quoting DragonMom25:

Quoting Bonita131:

As long as adults are permitted to have guns, children will continue to mimic the adults.

as long as adults have guns the children are free.  once the adults no longer have guns the children are then slaves of the ones with guns (whether they be the government or crimnals)

every video game system has a gun game (remember duck hunt) and most movies use guns.  you cannot have a western with no guns.  our military use guns and cops have guns, many of our everyday heros these kids look up to use guns to "get the bad guy" so of course they will immitate them.

my issue is that the kids do not get told beyond the long involved packet that is caled the "parent student handbook" that gun play is not allowed (it includes in there what hair styles/colors are not allowed and stipulated what they can and cannot wear (no swear words or sex on thier clothes pretty common sense).  very few parents read those with thier kids-they say sit quiet on the bus, do your work and behave.  they don't even realize that behaving means they cannot talk about history...

but how are they teaching the revolution or any history since they are not allowed to talk about guns?  Zero policy-suspend the history teachers for 10 days for discussing guns!  it makes as much sense as suspending a 5 year old for playing cops and robbers with thier friends and hands.

as long as adults have guns the children are free. once the adults no longer have guns the children are then slaves of the ones with guns (whether they be the government or crimnals)

Your paranoia is coming through loud and clear.  

MessedUpMama
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM

How do you get that she threatened another kids life? She said that she would "shoot" bubbles at her. Since when is blowing bubbles at someone life threatening? She didn't point a gun, toy or other wise at the other student, she didn't say "I'll kill you." She wasn't angry or upset. The other child wasn't someone she had problems with, in fact the other child was her friend. So could you please clear up your statement that she threatened some one's life?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont thank the school is going to far. She thretened another kids life. the school should do something to show the kids that its not ok to do that. Even if it was just a toy.

Barbie83
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

The methods being used in addressing  such cases nowadays is torturous and can only send the child into thoughts nd maybe try to involve into whatever he has heard cos kids can be adventurous. Imagine telling a five yr of about going to jail? What da hell!!! She had nothing in mind but its being instilled into her.....rubbish

averysmommom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

That school would stroke out if they heard some of the convos between the lil kids at my school. 99.9% of students are military brats and while we don't allow them to pretend they have guns or talk about them sometimes they just do. They are kids. This lil girl wasn't being hateful or ugly and that school is insane

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN