Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He said I looked like Humpty Dumpty.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Okay, so I'm 7 months pregnant and only 5'2".  I'm normally very small, and while my legs and arms have stayed thin, I look like an orange with 4 toothpicks in it.  DH is normally very supportive and tells me how beautiful I am (even though I don't feel very attractive right now).  I know he was joking, but it hurt my feelings.  Am I overreacting?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Well, totally understandable that you're upset.

He probably just opened his mouth and let the occasional stupid fall out without thinking it through, so while I think you should express that HEY! That hurt my feelings- don't hate on him too much.

It sounds like a small, not lasting case of foot in mouth. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Considering you said he's normally kind and supportive and was joking I would say yes. Let him know that pregnancy hormones are a bitch and you are very sensitive to comments like that (as are most pregnant women).
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

My husband and I were just talking about this last night. He read on one of his soon to be father websites that one of the number one things to do it mak fun of your wife when pregnant. His reaction was "well duh, who does that?!"

Me, my response was "well pregnancy is a funny thing and if you cant laugh at it, theres something wrong." Pregnancy is a beautful thing but it is sorta rdiculous looking. From the shape of our body to peeing when laughing to having trouble getting up lol. I told my husband Im sure that no one purposely actually makes fun of their wife. But jokes are common. And I guess with some women its a big deal. I just dont sweat it. So yes you are over reacting BUT I do undersand...hormones blow lol

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Awww I'm sorry. I'm sure the hormones make it more upsetting. ((((hugs)))))
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM

YES

NewMom11222011
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Pregnant or not, you never want to hear a comment like that from anyone, especially the ones closest to your heart.  If you haven't already, I'd try to explain that pregnancy hormones make your emotions a bit brittle and you were hurt by his comment even though you know he was kidding.  I bet he will understand and go back to being more careful about his word choice.

deltathree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I agree w/ pp. 

Melissa_anne
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM

guys just say stupid stuff.  my dh puts his foot in his mouth all the time.  the best (well not so best) one he ever said, I just had a miscarriage and my pants didn't fit and it was valentines day, i was crying and he said "dont worry honey, you just need new clothes and you need to go to Curves"  yeah I didn't talk to him for a few days. 

Guys just dont think sometimes. 

ilovemyboys84
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM

id be upset but not too bad. mine told me not to wear a black bathing suit to the beach cuz green peace would try n set me free

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Could be way worse, obviously he meant it in a joking/affectionate way.  Tell him to lay off and move on.  I agree with previous poster who said pregnancy is funny... gotta keep your sense of humor, and especially after you have kids.  Parenting is nuts.  Have to be able to laugh. 

Example:  Asked son if he needed to throw a whiz before leaving car dealership last week.  Was told no, emphatically.  10 minutes later, on highway on-ramp, in rush hour traffic, he frantically says "mommy... my pee is about to come out!"  Can you hold it until I can pull over?  No!!!  So I dumped my travel mug of coffee out the window, and handed it to him.  I was trapped and there was nothing I could do.  I thought it was better in my moment of panic than to have an accident in his seat, until I looked back and saw the stream making a nice high arc, right over the top of the mug, splashing onto the side of my driver's seat and my coat. 

Sense of humor is key or I would have been in the nuthouse a long, long time ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)