Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Anyone here NOT on welfare?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And food stamps? Pease share how you got out of your situation and moved on up like George Jefferson.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
lovemyirish
by Corinne on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I'm not. I'm a single mom. I am a manager of a retail store so j make salary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM
13 moms liked this

I was 18 when I got pregnant with my son. My then-boyfriend and I had been friends for years before we started dating, but once we got pregnant he left. Quickly. I was in college full time and working part time until my son was born, when I had to stop working because I couldn't afford daycare and no one would take him that young, anyway. I brought him to class with me as a newborn so that I could keep attending college. I remember lugging his carseat all over campus, breastfeeding in the back of lecture halls, and my very understanding small-class professors who even went so far as to comfort my fussy baby in the hallway so I could finish my finals.

My son's birth father all but disappeared when we found I was pregnant. He joined the Army "to help me support the baby" but then had his parents hire attorneys that always managed to get him out of having to show up for court for child support hearings. My career path was a long one at the time, and I couldn't find a job that would allow me to be self sufficient in the meantime, so I gave up that dream and decided to go to nursing school. I got on Medicaid and WIC for help in the meantime, gave up my free-ride scholarship to the college of my choice, and moved back in with my parents.

I was on TANF (cash assistance) for 5 months or so, which enabled me to afford daycare while job hunting. It was only a couple hundred per month, so there were still times that I had to take out cash advances on my credit card to pay his daycare. Despite my son's birthfather being active duty, the government never could seem to find him to serve him with paperwork that would start the child support process. Our son was almost 4 before he started paying (and before he met him).

Once I found a job, I was able to get off cash assistance. I was only working for minimum wage, but by living with my parents it was enough to scrape by. There were years that I didn't buy myself one single thing that I didn't absolutely need. My son was hospitalized as an infant for RSV, and had it not been for the Medicaid program I would have had to file for bankruptcy for sure (or I would have not taken him in at that time and consequences could have been severe). 

When my son was a toddler I was accepted into nursing school. It took me three years to get through a 2-year program because of severe depression. I had an acute depressive event that stemmed from nearly getting killed while saving someone's life and had to leave for a year. I stopped functioning. The local community services board provided me with counseling at $5 a session due to my income, which quite possibly saved my life. Certainly saved my future.

I worked almost the entire time I was in school, often at more than one job. I finally finished nursing school as an RN when my son was 4 and I was 23. I bought my house that year, too, and got off all forms of PA. I was able to afford private school for my son as well. Four years later, we're still living happily and comfortably. Two years ago I met my boyfriend who is now my fiance, and we are getting married in May, right after he finishes med school. This time next year we'll be debt free and making $100K a year. After he finishes residency that will at least double.

Yes, I know it as foolish to get pregnant so young. We made a mistake one night and got 'caught.' I took care of a patient once who killed three people by taking his eyes off the road for a second. He got caught, too. We all do stupid things once in a while, but the vast majority of the time nothing comes of it. Society doesn't always seem to realize that those of us who do reap the consequences aren't always idiots and monsters.

I also know that people abuse the system: I see it not infrequently at work in the ER. And I work with a lot of jaded people who think that all welfare recipients are lazy layabouts who just want to suck on the government teet. But honestly, I don't know where I'd be without that teet. Probably not here, a productive member of society. I'm an intelligent person, a hard worker, and a good mom. I have a amazing, bright kid who literally has had his life saved by taxpayer dollars in the form of treatment and medication while on Medicaid. I feel thankful, and grateful, and I have never had any problem paying taxes because I know the majority of people who are on welfare programs will not be life-long users. I know that it will help other people like me who just need a little help getting up on their feet again. I want more oversight to weed out the abusers, but I am proud to live in a country that gifts help and opportunity to people like me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I'm not.  Dh has a good job and i have a good job.  never been on welfare or food stamps

Bradensmommy719
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM
We only had food stamps and it was while hunny was out of work for 16 months and a year after while he tried to get us back on our feet. We no longer use them and it was a blessing to have while we were trying to better ourselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

No, thank god. Sucking the government's tit like a newborn child isnt my thing.

Do you want a cookie?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Karma right back at ya. You can't spit vemon and not expect it to come right back at ya. 

waaa waaa waaaa there are always excuses. work a job beneath you. work 2 or 3 if you have to. 

Quoting Anonymous:

What business is it of yours or anyone else's if someone is using or has used any form of public assistance? Are you so perfect that you've never found yourself in a tough situation? Having to decide between medication or food? Or heat and food? Get off your fricken high horse and stop the bashing. I know people that worked their asses off for 20 years at the same job, saved money but due to a restructure of her company was laid off. She can't find another job making what she was. She's back in school and looking for another job. Should her lazy ass be bashed because the situation was out of her control? Should she not feed her kids?

It's time people stop judging and bashing others that may not have any choice. You don't know a persons situation so lay off already.

And yes, I've used food stamps and I work full time and go to school. I'm not on them anymore because my lousy $8.50 an hour is too much. If it wasn't for my parents, I'd have no food. But in some people's eyes that would be ok because I'm lazy and abusing the system.

Just remember, all of you judgmental bashers can be in the situation where you need help. Karma is a bitch!!!

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
We're not on pa and I never have been (in my adult life anyway)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.stella.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Work hard? Not be a sahm when youre not financially able to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birthymom4
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM
We are not on food stamps...The state sends us a medical card but we don't use it, I have tried to cancel it and NEVER send in the paperwork that is supposedly required to keep it...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM
aww. this is a dig at my post.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)