Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Anyone here NOT on welfare?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And food stamps? Pease share how you got out of your situation and moved on up like George Jefferson.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Replies (471-478):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I'm not on it, but I don't think it makes me any "better" or "worse" than anybody else.  I am glad there is something 2 help ppl get on their feet....We live in an economy where you can work hard, go to school, and still struggle.

MessedUpMama
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM

You still don't know that. If she started working at 14, she probably doesn't have a college degree. But there are jobs that don't require a college degree and still pay okay. You don't know if she was married to the father of her children, who had a great paying job, promising her that she could go to college once the children were in school. You don't know if he left her high and dry for the babysitter, or if he died. You don't know anything about her situation at all. Maybe her DH had a great job, they both worked hard and saved. They had their kids, and then suddenly he is stricken by a deadly disease, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat. Draining all their savings and taking all of their assets just to pay his hospital bills. Then one day he died. Now she has no savings, kids to care for, and no one to help her pay for the remaining bills left by her husband, and the normal bills that happen just to live these days.

You and your DH might think you have it all covered, and that you will never have to use any public assistance. I hope and pray that it's true. Things happen that you didn't  plan for, bills come up that drain savings. Don't judge others until you actually know their situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because if you are working and on food stamps and have kids you couldn't and never could afford them.  I don't know why people can't see that.  Its not like she had a great job and lost it.  She never had a job to support kids to begin with.  We waited 7 years to have kids.  Sucks to be us and be responsible.  We saved and scrimped for years so we will never walk a day in welfare shoes. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because she gets help, no matter the amount, you have no place to tell her that she had kids she couldn't afford. She said she works 2 jobs and has been a steady worker from a young age. Her situation could stem from a variety of things. The job force isn't anything to brag about and the cost of living has steadyily increased every year. I don't think that just because someone has a hard time people should be piping in say they had kids that they shouldn't have just because the get welfare. That's why that program was started to help. My DH and I have gotten FS in the past til I graduated college and and we were able to get on our feet. And I would never be afraid to go back if I ever needed to, peoples lives change day to day. Til you walk a day in their lives I suggest you shut up!

Quoting Anonymous:

Then you had kids you could never and can't afford then. Why have kids you can't afford. Just expect others to support your kids?

Quoting Anonymous:

I work two jobs and have worked sense I was 14 I get food stamps to help feed my children I do see that some people milk the system but for the ones that don't ....its the only way some of us can survive

nicolee0821
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:24 AM
I really don't understand why people give a flying doughnut about what complete strangers do with their lives...it's not your business and it affects you in no way. You'll still have to pay taxes regardless of whether or not jobless people are on welfare. Oh. And a a lot of them have jobs and pay the same taxes you do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
They pay zero or next to nothing in payroll taxes if they are on welfare.

Quoting nicolee0821:

I really don't understand why people give a flying doughnut about what complete strangers do with their lives...it's not your business and it affects you in no way. You'll still have to pay taxes regardless of whether or not jobless people are on welfare. Oh. And a a lot of them have jobs and pay the same taxes you do.

MommyLehr
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I'm not. I had wic when my youngest was born. That's it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I'm not and I just got offered a job yesterday :) no more SAHM

momwith6
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I like to think I am the type of person that welfare and section 8 housing is used for.  I was on both while I was a single mom of 3.  However, I went on it so that I could go to school fulltime.  I got off the welfare once I got my associates degree.  Three years later I was incomed out of the section 8.  I now have a husband , 6 kids and we receive no assistance.  My husband was laid off for years so we survived on my income alone.  I am grateful it was there when I needed it but I knew it was not a long term solution.  I think if you have goals, anyone can succeed.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting nicolee0821:

Your attitude is part of the massive problem that is present today.  APATHY.   I give a flying doughnut because it is so far out of control, and the huge numbers are made up of one individual at a time - so they all count.  Too many are unwilling to step back and see the bigger picture.  For one thing -  WE CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO TAKE CARE OF EVERYONE WHO IS STRUGGLING.  PERIOD.  Do you not understand that dependence on govt is a form of slavery?  Do you not understand that when you are beholden to someone or something for your very subsistence you are under their control?  Considering how many people are dependent on the government today (and at the government's encouragement and insistence) - have you considered the ramifications of that?  You talk about why I care?  I care because I see people being turned into seemingly helpless groups with little self confidence, little creativity, and little pride.  Apparently I have much more confidence in humanity's ability to survive without a bunch of governemnt workers dictating what they will eat, where they live, how much sugar they can consume, whether they can smoke, or the kind of education their children receive than you do.  You are the prime example of APATHY.  And yes, it DOES affect me AND YOU - PROFOUNDLY.  We are systematically hurting and even destroying the very people who keep things up and running, while simultaneously eroding the rest of the population's independence.  What the heck are you going to do when there is nothing left to steal from the rest of us.  And yes, it is theft.  They may have "legalized" it , but it is theft none the less.  When you take money from people who work hard to earn it, and give it to someone who has done absolutely nothing to earn it, that is theft.  The system of government that is being instituted with this current administration is communism.  It may have other names, but it is communism none-the-less.  You folks who are willing to look the other way - not sure of your reasons to do so -  better wake up and smell the coffee because we are right at the point of no return.  Once we lose our country, there will be only 2 things that can happen.  (1)  We continue our downward slide and turn into countries like Greece or (2) There is a massive revolution and uprising - and hell to pay.  You pick - which one sounds good to you?  OR we can put on the brakes, and do a 180 degree turn.  We need to cut our spending MASSIVELY, and cultivate an environment that allows people to strive - and to fail if need be - be that are free to try without government manipulation.  If a big company screws up - they should not be "too big to fail".  Taxes should be equal for everone - we should ALL have a dog in the fight.  You earn much, you pay much.  You earn little, you pay little - but we all should have to pay in.  People are real free with spending other people's money, but when it is their money, things are different - they aren't so happy to just give it away to anyone with their hand out.  People should have to earn what they receive - some how or another - if they are in any way able.  It is not the government's responsibility to take care of each other.  It is our's.  It is just easier to relegate it to someone else.  If people are hungry, then give them food - not a card that can be turned into cash or drugs or whatever.  I am to the point where I believe that people who are receiving food stamps or an unemployment check - should be drug tested, and I am even to the point where I am not sure they should be able to vote.  They will NEVER vote for what is best for the country - only for the party that promises to continue their support.  Illegal aliens should receive absolutely no benefits - period.  No SNAP, no WIC, no education, NOTHING.  If we don't get our priorities in order, we will be unable to help anyone.  If you have ever flown on a plane, the emergency procedures always tell you to make sure YOU have oxygen, and are ok before you take care of anyone else because if you aren't ok, you can't help someone who is in trouble.  Same thing applies here.  We need to fix our own crap, quit trying to destroy the constitution and the Bill of RIghts that have worked so well for so long, and then we can help others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)