Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Anyone here NOT on welfare?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And food stamps? Pease share how you got out of your situation and moved on up like George Jefferson.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Replies (371-380):
cherylam
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM

we were on assistance for years, only for medicaid, as my son had severe asthma.  I got a job, called the caseworker and told her and she wasted no time getting us off the welfare...it takes up to 60 days to open a welfare case and less than 2 hours to close it.  Happiest day of my life, and I've never looked back.  I'm now retired, but still do everything I can to keep us aboveboard, and that includes my kids...we make craft items, sell produce, do odd jobs, whatever i have to do.

Maddiesmommy123
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I am not and never have been. I think its there for a reason but some ppl use and abuse it and then ppl who need it have a hard time getting it. If I could run to the doctor on every little whim with my kid and or myself....oh dont' get me started. Im glad its there for ppl who NEED it but HATE that some ppl ABUSE the system and seem to just get away with it!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Or state of Wisconsin put a bill on the table to ban junk food and soda on food stamps. Someone commented that is all they buy. Awful they don't spend them on real food. They want them upped if the bill passes. Dream on dumbass. Most want the ban.
bhow
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

This post was posted on Jamuary 22, why is it still listed as a new post?  And yes, we are NOT on welfare, or food stamps.

mamabear0791
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I was on food stamps, Medicaid and Medicare, SSDI for many years. I had an enormous asthma problem, and after losing 6 jobs because of attacks, I used disability and all to get my body calmed back down. I went to college and now have a teaching degree. My job isn't teaching a full class, but it is a job. Now I am weaqning off the helpers I've had. The only thing left is Medicare, and it will end in May.

mjws
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Not on any here.  Just play hard and work hard!

Amalie85
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I've never been on any kind of assistance, was raised by a family of business owners so we've always tried our best to pay for our own things.  Even when my husband & I got pregnant before we had insurance, we grinned and beared it, no medicaid here - I'm proud of us for paying our own way.  But I don't begrudge people who need it from using government assistance, that's why its there- to help out when there doesn't seem any other way. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never been on PA. I tried to make good choices like go to school and get married before having children and have savings and paying off house before kids. I know that not everyone gets the opportunity to do these things, but when you can, you should have a plan to put yourself in a good financial position. We also budget very closely and prepare in advance to save for big ticket items.

I cannot say that I'll never be on PA because I could become disabled or we both could lose our jobs for an extended period of time (longer than 6 months). I do not knock those who need it for a hand up. I don't like those who use it as a hand out.

My husband's mom is an immigrant and she had PA for a short period of time when she and her 3 young kids left her abusive husband. She had to take every job she could to get on her feet. And on limited English. And, yes, she was a legal immigrant.

ktp111
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I am on SSI and SSD as i'm disabled from a car crash and another accident-have one son and my husband works

ingrid198
by Ingrid on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I was on medicaid while pregnant with my first child, just keep plugging along and reach small goals and become independent. Too many people take advantage of welfare and food stamps, they are great when they are needed but not to coast on for 10 years lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)