Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Has anyone tried Sensa? Does it work at all?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm thinking of trying it but it's expensive. Does it work?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
megdavkay
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I tried using it I tried it for almost 3 months and it did nothing for me at all, it did not decrease my appetite nor make me lose any weight.

wma777
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

NO NO NO NO NO. I all seriousness and kindness to you, your wallet and your waistline, there are NO MAGIC POTIONS! If they worked, the diet industry would exist no longer. Not in their best interests, right?  If they worked, America would not be the nation of obesity that it has become. People are spending more than ever on diet products yet getting fatter than ever. Here's what works and it's the ONLY thing that works: eat CLEAN and get MOVING! It's that simple. Eating clean is so basic that there's little glamour in it, and there's one of your guidelines. Most foods that have "advertising" are the foods you should be avoiding. The foods that usually have coupons in the paper are not the nutritious foods, but they are the foods being cranked out by corporate agribusiness which is heavily subsidised by the government. Cheap eats, but total garbage. (You get what you pay for.) Don't drink soda, diet or otherwise, both make you FAT and slowly destroy your body - it might be one of the smartest choices you'll ever make. Anyone still comsuming soda has no right to complain about a weight problem. Consume fresh, whole (organic and locally grown if possible) foods. Meat should be minimal: organic when you do eat it. Conventional is so full of toxins it's not worth it. All chicken has arsenic to "pink it up", the beef is jam packed with antibiotics and hormones. If Organic is too expensive, do without, nobody NEEDS to eat meat. Not only do you protect yourself, you're sending a message that you don't support these practices. Basically, the less "messed around with" a food is and the more closely it resembles it's natural state, the better it is for you. My rule is "If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."  Sometimes it costs a little more to eat this way. That's because of the heavy subsidies on junk foods. Please think of it as paying forward - you'll spend a little more NOW so that you don't spend a LOT more later on health care costs when you are sick from eating chemical/hormone/GMO/etc-laden garbage for years. FDA guidelines are extremely lax and you'd be surprised at what is hiding in most foods. Just do your research and make smart choices :)

As far as getting moving, that's natural! If you're a beginner, start small and keep going. If you've been exercising for years but want to see a change, step it up a bit. Throw a real challenge in and push to that new level. For women, I can't stress enough the importance of LIFTING WEIGHTS!!!! I don't mean the little bitty 5-pounders either. This is my job, I teach people fitness for a living, I'm not just making it up :) You NEED to build muscle to carve out cute feminine curves. Firm, not squishy curves. Things will tend to stay perky and sag less. Muscle is metabolically active even at rest, so you'll burn more calories throughout the day if you build some up. You'll help prevent osteoporosis later in life too.

Don't buy the Sensa. Lifestyle changes take more effort at first, but thet become HABIT over time and no longer are an effort. It is the only thing that will work in the long run, and you'll be healthier in the end. You will also be setting a spectacular example for your kids. Good luck Lois!

loisl25
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Thanks. :) I don't drink soda, thankfully. I gave that up when I was 12 or 14 or sometime around there. I've always been a health nut and used to only buy healthy organic foods, mostly produce, but some whole grains and lean meats too. Once I got married a year and a half ago to dh, he has been insisting on filling the house with junk food, which just sits there tempting me, and I end up eating too much of it. :( I could try to convince him to stop buying it, but I already know it's a battle I won't win. He's pretty stubborn about some things.

Quoting wma777:

NO NO NO NO NO. I all seriousness and kindness to you, your wallet and your waistline, there are NO MAGIC POTIONS! If they worked, the diet industry would exist no longer. Not in their best interests, right?  If they worked, America would not be the nation of obesity that it has become. People are spending more than ever on diet products yet getting fatter than ever. Here's what works and it's the ONLY thing that works: eat CLEAN and get MOVING! It's that simple. Eating clean is so basic that there's little glamour in it, and there's one of your guidelines. Most foods that have "advertising" are the foods you should be avoiding. The foods that usually have coupons in the paper are not the nutritious foods, but they are the foods being cranked out by corporate agribusiness which is heavily subsidised by the government. Cheap eats, but total garbage. (You get what you pay for.) Don't drink soda, diet or otherwise, both make you FAT and slowly destroy your body - it might be one of the smartest choices you'll ever make. Anyone still comsuming soda has no right to complain about a weight problem. Consume fresh, whole (organic and locally grown if possible) foods. Meat should be minimal: organic when you do eat it. Conventional is so full of toxins it's not worth it. All chicken has arsenic to "pink it up", the beef is jam packed with antibiotics and hormones. If Organic is too expensive, do without, nobody NEEDS to eat meat. Not only do you protect yourself, you're sending a message that you don't support these practices. Basically, the less "messed around with" a food is and the more closely it resembles it's natural state, the better it is for you. My rule is "If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."  Sometimes it costs a little more to eat this way. That's because of the heavy subsidies on junk foods. Please think of it as paying forward - you'll spend a little more NOW so that you don't spend a LOT more later on health care costs when you are sick from eating chemical/hormone/GMO/etc-laden garbage for years. FDA guidelines are extremely lax and you'd be surprised at what is hiding in most foods. Just do your research and make smart choices :)

As far as getting moving, that's natural! If you're a beginner, start small and keep going. If you've been exercising for years but want to see a change, step it up a bit. Throw a real challenge in and push to that new level. For women, I can't stress enough the importance of LIFTING WEIGHTS!!!! I don't mean the little bitty 5-pounders either. This is my job, I teach people fitness for a living, I'm not just making it up :) You NEED to build muscle to carve out cute feminine curves. Firm, not squishy curves. Things will tend to stay perky and sag less. Muscle is metabolically active even at rest, so you'll burn more calories throughout the day if you build some up. You'll help prevent osteoporosis later in life too.

Don't buy the Sensa. Lifestyle changes take more effort at first, but thet become HABIT over time and no longer are an effort. It is the only thing that will work in the long run, and you'll be healthier in the end. You will also be setting a spectacular example for your kids. Good luck Lois!

loisl25
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Oh, also. I usually am good about exersizing  on a regular basis. A LOT of exersize even, but I stopped when I was pregnant. I am trying to strt again now.

wma777
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Ahhhhhh! The undone by the husband! That's a tough one. Mine tends to do that to me too, but lately has come around which makes things a lot easier. I'm sorry you are struggling with that situation. You'll feel better once you can work your exercise back in. Sounds like you have all the right information for a healthy life and you know just what to do. Hopefully other people who are considering SENSA will read your post and get something helpful from it.
Cookie1344
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I tried it.  It did help curb my hunger a little but gave me diarrhea.  It changes the flavoring of your food.  Not so much the actual taste of it but I thought that sweet things didn't taste as sugary & sweet, as good as normal.  I couldn't stand the fact I had to be near a bathroom everytime I used it.  I wasn't a faithful user either.  It seems I was always halfway through my meal & then remembered I had to sprinkle my food.

Bethsunshine
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I lost almost 45 pounds last year by using portion control,lots of water and lots of exercise. Most of weight loss is just common sense.
imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

A guy my husband works with claims he lost 30 lbs using it. He still looks chubby to me.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I'm skeptical of anything that claims it can make weight loss 'easy.'

JustCJ
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

LOL I was just telling hubby the other day I think for 'some' it has a placebo effect.

Quoting imamomzilla:

A guy my husband works with claims he lost 30 lbs using it. He still looks chubby to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)