Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

The word caucasian bugs me *update in red*

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 49 Replies

Do you or the person you're referring to speak: Georgian, Armenian, Adyghe, Azeri or any other Caucasian languages?

Do you realize Middle Easterners and South Asians are also caucasoid not just Europeans?

If you are using Caucasian to mean white you are using the word wrong.

My father and I are caucasians.

Thank you for your interest. I will admit (and have admitted) this post was slightly trollish. I agree my above argument was ridiclous (though not more ridiculous than many things posted on cm). It was very interesting to read your responses regarding race, culture, etc...

I hope I was nice to everyone I replied to, It was not my intent to be mean to anyone, even though it's cafemom I actually do try to be respectful. I succeed 98% of the time. :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

A few observations:

1. Middle Easterners ARE white.

2. Terms like "white" are cultural, anyway. Since they're not about biology, they change from culture to culture. So, you can't argue about who isn't or not without a lot of conditional language.

and a postscript: as a kid, I always thought South Asians were "white," just darker-skinned white. I didn't see South Asian facial features as looking like the people I was taught were "black" or "asian" (meaning East Asian) so it was the obvious conclusion. 

clp0930
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

A few observations:

1. Middle Easterners ARE white.

2. Terms like "white" are cultural, anyway. Since they're not about biology, they change from culture to culture. So, you can't argue about who isn't or not without a lot of conditional language.

and a postscript: as a kid, I always thought South Asians were "white," just darker-skinned white. I didn't see South Asian facial features as looking like the people I was taught were "black" or "asian" (meaning East Asian) so it was the obvious conclusion. 

It just bugs me the way some people on cm use the word. It's also annoying to have to qualify "I'm proud to be caucasian" with the explanation I mean the geographic region.

clp0930
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Quoting herrrrroi:

silly

Perhaps, but I've heard much dumber pet peeves on cm.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
okay... I speak english so I am white? O.o never thought about it. Well, technically I am Irish, Scottish, and Native American. Lol most peoole are mutts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM
10 moms liked this
Who really cares. Sick of all the politically correct shit about today. Everything is offensive now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Exactly. I never say I am Irish, Welsh, German. Why do certain groups have to use this while others don't.

Quoting Anonymous:

okay... I speak english so I am white? O.o never thought about it. Well, technically I am Irish, Scottish, and Native American. Lol most peoole are mutts.

clp0930
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly. I never say I am Irish, Welsh, German. Why do certain groups have to use this while others don't.

Quoting Anonymous:

The whole point of the post (other than my minor pet peeve) is kind of the idiocy of it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Ohhh I get it now. Lol I just ignore it. People are nuts with PC crap. I am me and that's all I care about. :)

Quoting clp0930:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

The whole point of the post (other than my minor pet peeve) is kind of the idiocy of it. 

clp0930
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Never expected to be featured, but hopefully my mildly trollish goal of pointing out how idiotic racially charged discussions can become has been successful, at the very least you learned a piece of useless trivia.

MCA23
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

the word "moist" bugs me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN