Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

The word caucasian bugs me *update in red*

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you or the person you're referring to speak: Georgian, Armenian, Adyghe, Azeri or any other Caucasian languages?

Do you realize Middle Easterners and South Asians are also caucasoid not just Europeans?

If you are using Caucasian to mean white you are using the word wrong.

My father and I are caucasians.

Thank you for your interest. I will admit (and have admitted) this post was slightly trollish. I agree my above argument was ridiclous (though not more ridiculous than many things posted on cm). It was very interesting to read your responses regarding race, culture, etc...

I hope I was nice to everyone I replied to, It was not my intent to be mean to anyone, even though it's cafemom I actually do try to be respectful. I succeed 98% of the time. :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
clp0930
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting MCA23:

the word "moist" bugs me.

lol, I feel like I've heard that somewhere before....

Playitagain
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm a mutt, LOL. I've had people get upset at me for using the term about myself.

How about this, I know an African American who is white. I have a cousin who is African, but is British and was actually lectured by a women in a resturant when he visited once because he pointed out he isn't African American. He was being nice about it, the comment was made "I've never heard that accent on an African American before, where is it from?"

I've given up, I think its all stupid and I'm tired of it. 

MCA23
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Quoting clp0930:

Quoting MCA23:

Do I sense a spin-off thread coming?!

clp0930
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting MCA23:

Quoting clp0930:

Quoting MCA23:

Do I sense a spin-off thread coming?!

You have my blessing, I'd totally pop in. Actually if anyone starts a spin-off I would love to see it. :) 

CupcakeLuv
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I don't really see your point.

storkradio193
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

We have come to define people based on words that are often times made up (or incorrect) to some degree.  Hispanic is also a made up designation, as they are also white.  You can say the same thing for most defining terms of ethnicity/race.

AubreeGrace17
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM
So??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM

South East Asians are not Caucasian. My husband is from India and he is Asian.

However, yes, I believe Middle Easterners are Caucasian.

When I lived in Grand Rapids, MI, people used to get confused between race and nationality all the time. I am Italian-American. Most of their ancestors were from Holland. They couldn't get over it lol. Lots of "Godfather" references- not to be mean, but to be funny and they were curious.

One day we were all filling out some standardized form which asked for our race. My best friend looked at me and asked, in all seriousness, which box I would check! She wasn't malicious, but merely curious. I laughed and told her I was just as white as she was- well maybe not just as white because she used to burn the minute we went in the sun lol, but just as Caucasian anyway. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this
You know what bugs me? Ppl who say they are"African american" really you were born in Africa? You are not African american. Just like i am not Irish american or German american. We are simply American.
supercarp
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We didn't start it. If the etiology of the word is bad (as many are, not just that one) you'll have to blame people who are already dead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)