Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

US ranked number 25, how sad

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 24 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/global-motherhood-the-bes_n_1475607.html?ir=Good+News&ref=topbar#s934376&title=1_Norway

(if someone knows how to make it clicky please do it because I have no idea how to)

Global Motherhood: The 30 Best Places In The World To Be A Mom

First Posted: 05/08/2012 1:34 am   Updated: 05/09/2012 11:10 am

No matter where you are in the world, the joy of motherhood is a universal emotion. However, the conditions in which women raise their children vary from country to country. As part of the 2012 State of the World’s Mothers report, Save the Children has released their 13th annual Mothers’ Index.

Of the 165 countries surveyed, Norway, Iceland and Sweden top the rankings this year. The top 10 countries, in general, attain very high scores for mother and child health, educational attainment and economic status. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Niger ranks last. The 10 bottom-ranked countries -- eight from sub-Saharan Africa -– are a reverse image of the top 10, performing poorly on all indicators. The United States places 25th this year –- up six spots from last year.

Each country page will include a fact that supports the country's ranking. Please refer to the Appendix of the main report for all the detailed rankings.

As you view this slide show of the top 30 places to be a mom, keep in mind that no matter where you are in the world, mothers everywhere should be given the basic tools they need to break the cycle of poverty and improve the quality of life for themselves, their children, and for generations to come.

SPONSOR GENERATED POST FROM Johnson & Johnson
1. Norway

Norway ranks among the very best (top 5) countries in all indicators including female education, political representation, and the second lowest under-5 mortality rate. It offers one of the most generous maternity leave policies in the developed world. The extreme contrast between top-ranked country, Norway, and the lowest-ranked country, Niger is shown in a number of indicators. In Norway, nearly 40 percent of parliamentary seats are held by women compared to Niger's 13 percent. A Norwegian girl can expect to receive 18 years of formal education and will live to be over 83 years old. In Niger, a typical girl receives only 4 years of education and lives to only 56. Every mother in Niger is likely to suffer the loss of a child. 1 child in 7 dies before his or her fifth birthday.
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not at all surprised about Sweden and Norway. I've been to Sweden and it's lovely and from what I understand, each parent gets a year of paid maternity or paternity leave, which does not have to be taken at the same time. So, Mom could stay home the first year, and dad the second year, before both going back to work. Wouldn't that be AWESOME? Your child would be 2 and you'd feel much less anxiety about leaving a 2 year old in daycare than you would an infant.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
That's great! A lot of people here struggle financially when mom is home for 6 weeks. I can't imagine a paid year off.

Quoting Leobaby2007:

I am not at all surprised about Sweden and Norway. I've been to Sweden and it's lovely and from what I understand, each parent gets a year of paid maternity or paternity leave, which does not have to be taken at the same time. So, Mom could stay home the first year, and dad the second year, before both going back to work. Wouldn't that be AWESOME? Your child would be 2 and you'd feel much less anxiety about leaving a 2 year old in daycare than you would an infant.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this
All the more proof we,as Americans, are doing it wrong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I am a social democrat and partly of Norwegian ancestry and have always held them up as an example of what can be done when a country truly puts its people before corporations and their profits. We could have this here in America, we have the means, what we lack is the political will. Please consider this ranking, really think about it and what it means, because no matter your particular standing, economically or culturally, you are adversely affected by our shortcomings as are your children. 

We are heading down the wrong path but if we are wise we will simply stop, turn around, and find a new and better direction.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Quoting Aslen:

All the more proof we,as Americans, are doing it wrong

Rebecca-via

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Agree

Quoting GaleJ:

I am a social democrat and partly of Norwegian ancestry and have always held them up as an example of what can be done when a country truly puts its people before corporations and their profits. We could have this here in America, we have the means, what we lack is the political will. Please consider this ranking, really think about it and what it means, because no matter your particular standing, economically or culturally, you are adversely affected by our shortcomings as are your children. 

We are heading down the wrong path but if we are wise we will simply stop, turn around, and find a new and better direction.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Businesses here are not hiring now. What if thry had to pay out 1 year paid leave to every woman? Every business would go under? Norway is a very tiny country as big as a tiny state here. You also pay 50% in taxes there.
Aslen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
And it's worth it. Businesses haven't been hiring since the.bush tax cuts (proof tax cuts for the 1% and trickle down economics dont work)
Maybe the top earners should be less.greedy

Quoting Anonymous:

Businesses here are not hiring now. What if thry had to pay out 1 year paid leave to every woman? Every business would go under? Norway is a very tiny country as big as a tiny state here. You also pay 50% in taxes there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
LMAO

Quoting Aslen:

And it's worth it. Businesses haven't been hiring since the.bush tax cuts (proof tax cuts for the 1% and trickle down economics dont work)

Maybe the top earners should be less.greedy

Quoting Anonymous:

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Can you imagine? Canada gives a whole year to moms as well. Not sure if dads get anything up there. 6-12 weeks here is pathetic. Hardly any time to bond with your baby. Sad. Just sad. Plus, hardly anyone offers any paternity leave- not even a lousy two weeks. My husband had to use all his vacation and then take some unpaid time off to help me.

Quoting cjsmom1:

That's great! A lot of people here struggle financially when mom is home for 6 weeks. I can't imagine a paid year off.

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)