Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IVF abroad

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Has anyone here gone to another country to do IVF?  We've tried it here in the states but it's so expensive.  Loooking into programs in European countries because it's half the cost even with the trip but, would like to know what someone elses experiences have been.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
CV3
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

really? every insurance I've ever had covers some part of it.

Quoting moneysaver6:

I don't know of any insurance that covers IVF.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you consider expensive? Do you not have insurance? If you can't afford to produce a child how can you support one? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a reason that it is cheaper in Europe...I don't know where you are looking, but the experiences I have had with German healthcare is HORRIBLE...

Italian healthcare sucks. I lived there.  It is not better.   People just think so because they have it for "free" there.  I would never try IVF in another country.  To me your chances are better here.  Its all a crap shoot if it will work anyway no matter where you are. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Yes, most insurances cover a portion now.  Shocking but it does. 

Quoting CV3:

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you consider expensive? Do you not have insurance? If you can't afford to produce a child how can you support one? 

LysNVantesMom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

This is truly an ignorant statement!  My DH and I hav been TTCing for 6 years and can't afford IUI,or IVF, but certainly can afford a baby.  Do you realize how much fertility treatments cost?  My IUIs were covered by insurance before I lost my job, yet the meds I was on alone, plus copays cost us almost a grand a month alone!  It is an expense most don't budget for and shoudn't have to, but if the time comes, for many it is very expensive! 

nicole2884
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

you would have to stay in Europe for a while ivf is a drawled out process

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Never been abroad to do IVF. I did IVF  here(in the states) it was incredibly expensive and our insurance didn't cover any of the cost. We were only able to do two IVF's before we had to stop due to the cost.

moneysaver6
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I have only had one insurance that covered any infertility treatments. They cover the meds, most labs & diagnostic testing, and up to 3 rounds of IUI.

That is our current insurance and it is the first to cover anything.

Quoting CV3:

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Yes, expensive, and flights to Europe are not cheap. Can't see any reason to go there.

Quoting nicole2884:

you would have to stay in Europe for a while ivf is a drawled out process

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I have no complaints about German healthcare. I didn't do it but my cousin did and it does seem income based and cheaper in general.
Kaya529
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM
You might want to check out Barbados. They have really good programs plus you get to spend your time on a beautiful island.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)