Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

IVF abroad

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Has anyone here gone to another country to do IVF?  We've tried it here in the states but it's so expensive.  Loooking into programs in European countries because it's half the cost even with the trip but, would like to know what someone elses experiences have been.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (31-40):
muisjes
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

It may seem cheaper, but you have to take a lot of factors into account. Can you and/or DH take enough time of work? Costs for flights, hotels, foods, rental cars, being without income...

There certainly are excellent doctors in Europe, but do you research, because not every country has the same coverage, quality, etc.

MissMissfit
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Most insurances will cover a few parts of infertility treatments, such as IUI, or diagnostic tests, but very, very few cover IVF. 

JeannetteG
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

To the O.P. don't let people bash you for wanting to do IVF in another country. There are amazing and bad doctors everywhere!!! I personally have had quite a bit of health care in Germany and it was great!  I can't speak for anywhere else, but my experiences were good. Good luck!

ThreeTimesThePi
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I have a friend who had her IVF in Mexico. She had a terrific experience and has a little girl now. She said it was much cheaper than here and the Dr's and clinic were clean and great.

headingsouth13
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Aetna cover 6 cycles of ivf

Quoting moneysaver6:

I don't know of any insurance that covers IVF.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you consider expensive? Do you not have insurance? If you can't afford to produce a child how can you support one? 

CafeMom Tickers
Yellowlily333
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I am grateful. He is such a joy! He is handsome, and kind. Def the smartest child I have ever met. I love and adore him! However, I have always wanted lots of kids. My sweet little boy prays for brothers and sisters.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Yellowlily333:

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you consider expensive? Do you not have insurance? If you can't afford to produce a child how can you support one? 

Ugh! I hate when ppl say this crap! Would you want to drop $15.000 on a MAYBE kind of thing?? Normally when ppl come to the IVF means they have already tried a long list of other things that have not yielded results. I am considering IVF, as calender method, mucus evaluations, ovulation tests of a billion different brands, endometriosis surgury that resulted in finding out I didn't even have endometrosis, physicals of hubby and myself, semen anylasis, IUI's, 4 failed adoptions for a variety of reasons. One of which involved raising a child for 2 years. Now throw in all the price of all those preg tests, and the fees I got from the hospitals both time I got pregnant and miscarried. All the dr appts, blood work etc. Plus our clinic is over 2 hrs away. Add in all that gas money.

I have had ONE child. He has never wanted for anything. He has a great life. If I ever have/adopt more they will also have a great life-I CAN provide for them. But adding more costs would seriously hurt our budget. Which is why we like most families use IVF as a last last resort!

Try kindness and support. Infertilty is exhausting and more heartbreaking than you could ever imagine. Skip the mean judgement next time. Us struggling with infertility have enough to deal with already.

Not being mean but after all that I would be so greatful of the child I have and quit trying options. 

mehamil1
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I understand the desire for a biological child. I really do. However, if it's out of your price range, why not just adopt? The Foster system doesn't cost people anything (they pay you to take kids). And I know there are pitfalls with adoption, but if you want to be parents so badly, why not adopt? Why bring in another child when there are so many who have no one at all in the world who love them and want to take care of them? 

mehamil1
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Did you go for private adoption? Those are notorious for falling through. Have you gone through the foster system? There are great kids in foster care. Not all of them are fire starters. 

I get what you went through. I donated my eggs to a friend who went through the nightmare you went through. She now has a beautiful 3 year old daughter. I am not against IVF or private adoption, but when is enough enough? The Foster system has it's pitfalls. I am aware of them. Too aware. However, sometimes that's the last guaranteed resort people are left with when all other options are exhausted but they still want a big family. A lot of the kids are older but think of what you could do for a child who had absolutely no one in this world who loves them and wants them. 

Quoting Yellowlily333:

I am grateful. He is such a joy! He is handsome, and kind. Def the smartest child I have ever met. I love and adore him! However, I have always wanted lots of kids. My sweet little boy prays for brothers and sisters.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Yellowlily333:
Quting Anonymous:

Ugh! I hate when ppl say this crap! Would you want to drop $15.000 on a MAYBE kind of thing?? Normally when ppl come to the IVF means they have already tried a long list of other things that have not yielded results. I am considering IVF, as calender method, mucus evaluations, ovulation tests of a billion different brands, endometriosis surgury that resulted in finding out I didn't even have endometrosis, physicals of hubby and myself, semen anylasis, IUI's, 4 failed adoptions for a variety of reasons. One of which involved raising a child for 2 years. Now throw in all the price of all those preg tests, and the fees I got from the hospitals both time I got pregnant and miscarried. All the dr appts, blood work etc. Plus our clinic is over 2 hrs away. Add in all that gas money.

I have had ONE child. He has never wanted for anything. He has a great life. If I ever have/adopt more they will also have a great life-I CAN provide for them. But adding more costs would seriously hurt our budget. Which is why we like most families use IVF as a last last resort!

Try kindness and support. Infertilty is exhausting and more heartbreaking than you could ever imagine. Skip the mean judgement next time. Us struggling with infertility have enough to deal with already.

Not being mean but after all that I would be so greatful of the child I have and quit trying options.  

corrinacs
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I know that in many cases, it can be much cheaper.  Just please, do your homework.  Cheaper doesn't mean just "cheaper one the wallet".  It could also mean that the service isn't as good either :).

Good luck to you!  I know the road you are going down is hard financially, emotionally and physically!  Just don't let those things get in the way of making SMART decisions :)

corrinacs
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Adoptions unfortunately isn't much cheaper :/.  The legal costs can easily reach you to $15K....in fact, on average, adoptions cost about $40K when all is said and done :/.

Quoting mehamil1:

I understand the desire for a biological child. I really do. However, if it's out of your price range, why not just adopt? The Foster system doesn't cost people anything (they pay you to take kids). And I know there are pitfalls with adoption, but if you want to be parents so badly, why not adopt? Why bring in another child when there are so many who have no one at all in the world who love them and want to take care of them? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)