Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

IVF abroad

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Has anyone here gone to another country to do IVF?  We've tried it here in the states but it's so expensive.  Loooking into programs in European countries because it's half the cost even with the trip but, would like to know what someone elses experiences have been.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (41-50):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Wow that's a huge price difference

cherylw993
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM

We were lucky enough that our insurance covered most of our ivf, but it did take 3 rounds that spanned over the course of about 7 month before I became pregnant. Would it really be cheaper even if you factor in the traveling expenses?

KG34
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM

My SIL's did. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

I don't know of any insurance that covers IVF.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you consider expensive? Do you not have insurance? If you can't afford to produce a child how can you support one? 

mehamil1
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

If you go through the foster system it doesn't cost a thing. That's how my sister got her two kids. She fostered them, then adopted them. She didn't spend any money. The state paid her money while she fostered them and court fees for the adoption were waived. The state of IL has 500,000 kids in foster care and they bend over backward to get the kids eligible for adoption adopted. This has led to a few bad placements though. It's not without pitfalls. I personally would never go through private adoption or do IVF or any kind of fertility thing. If I wanted another kid (right now I do not), I'd become a foster mother and take it from there. 

Quoting corrinacs:

Adoptions unfortunately isn't much cheaper :/.  The legal costs can easily reach you to $15K....in fact, on average, adoptions cost about $40K when all is said and done :/.

Quoting mehamil1:

I understand the desire for a biological child. I really do. However, if it's out of your price range, why not just adopt? The Foster system doesn't cost people anything (they pay you to take kids). And I know there are pitfalls with adoption, but if you want to be parents so badly, why not adopt? Why bring in another child when there are so many who have no one at all in the world who love them and want to take care of them? 

SarahSuzyQ
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I spent a total of $200 adopting my son from foster care... All fees for fingerprints. No other out-of-pocket expenses. Legal fees and the like were all covered by the state.

Not ALL adoption costs $40k.

To those suggesting adoption, I just want to add... No type of adoption is a "fix" for infertility. Working through fertility issues and grieving the loss of a biological child should come before adding a child into the mix... That is, if a family does end up deciding to pursue adoption in this or any similar situation. 

Quoting corrinacs:

Adoptions unfortunately isn't much cheaper :/.  The legal costs can easily reach you to $15K....in fact, on average, adoptions cost about $40K when all is said and done :/.

Quoting mehamil1:

I understand the desire for a biological child. I really do. However, if it's out of your price range, why not just adopt? The Foster system doesn't cost people anything (they pay you to take kids). And I know there are pitfalls with adoption, but if you want to be parents so badly, why not adopt? Why bring in another child when there are so many who have no one at all in the world who love them and want to take care of them? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM
I wouldn't do it........
KLamonica1
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Mine did... Only thing it didn't cover was cryopreservation
Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you consider expensive? Do you not have insurance? If you can't afford to produce a child how can you support one? 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Kylie819
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Mine does.
I have Blue Cross

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Sarah is exactly right.  NOTHING is a "CURE" for infertility.  Anytime you want to add to your family....the same hurt and pain come back.

We aren't even "trying" and I still struggle with friends and family that just pop up pregnant :(.  Even my baby sister.....deep down it was a cut so painful, but I knew I couldn't show it :(.

There are cheaper options, but each option isn't for everyone.  OP: do your research :).  You will know where this leads you :)

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I spent a total of $200 adopting my son from foster care... All fees for fingerprints. No other out-of-pocket expenses. Legal fees and the like were all covered by the state.

Not ALL adoption costs $40k.

To those suggesting adoption, I just want to add... No type of adoption is a "fix" for infertility. Working through fertility issues and grieving the loss of a biological child should come before adding a child into the mix... That is, if a family does end up deciding to pursue adoption in this or any similar situation. 

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting mehamil1:

corrinacs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM

BTW: OP: Are you a part of our Long Term TTC Group?  Just join the TTC group here (Cafemom Sponsered).  They were awesome for me when I was going through the same struggles.  You will find some great freinds with more experience there :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)