Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Adopted Embryos!!!! Would you do it?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 57 Replies

Has anyone heard of this? An out of state friend mentioned a friend of hers is unable to get pregnant on her own, that they have tried adoption twice only to have it fall though both times, so they have adopted a fertilized embryo from another couple who is not using it. The embryo will then be implanted into the adopted mother. The couple already has an adopted son, but she has always wanted to be pregnant and now she'll hopefully get her chance!

I had never heard of this before! Isn't that amazing? Now, in some cases, adoptive mothers can carry and give birth to their own "adopted" child.

Would any of you choose to do it if you wanted more children but couldn't have any more of your own?

I have one child and am DONE, but I'm curious about others. :-)

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LysNVantesMom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I would in a heartbeat!

AdryF
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Awww Good for her! I hope everything works out. :) I probably would. I am pregnant with number 3 and am done though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jstoddard98
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. I would be ok with IVF but this would seem kind of odd. I guess if I really wanted a baby I wouldn't care though- and this way I could experience carrying my baby and such. 

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My friend and I were thinking along the same lines- as in it's so great this woman will be able experience pregnancy, but on the other hand, this child has full biological siblings living with another family. The same could happen with a traditional adoption, though.

My friend was adopted the "regular" way- her mother was 19 and not ready to be a mother, and she has since met her birth mother and has siblings, 3 brothers, but they are half siblings, not full. She knows the name of her bio dad, but has never felt the need to seek him out, so she likely has more half siblings as well.

My friend had the couple's son over the other day to play with her two children because the mom was getting implanted with an "adopted embryo" and I asked, "Is that what I think it sounds like?" She explained it to me, and I was just amazed.

Not something I would do, but then again I was fortunate enough to be able to get pregnant easily and only wanted one child, so if in a different situation, who knows what I might do?

Anyway, I thought you all might find this interesting. :-)

Quoting Jstoddard98:

I don't know. I would be ok with IVF but this would seem kind of odd. I guess if I really wanted a baby I wouldn't care though- and this way I could experience carrying my baby and such. 

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AdryF:

Awww Good for her! I hope everything works out. :) I probably would. I am pregnant with number 3 and am done though.

Me too. I hope it works out for her! Must be heartbreaking to have to two adoptions fall through at the last minute, although I am sure it's not uncommon.

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Quoting LysNVantesMom:

I would in a heartbeat!

:-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I have no idea what THIS means..." in some cases, adoptive mothers can carry and give birth to their own "adopted" child..."

The woman that has the embryos transferred IS the mother.What else would you call her?! And what do you think happens to all those embryos that people don't use!? Thank GOD we don't have many OCTOMOM'S!

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no idea what THIS means..." in some cases, adoptive mothers can carry and give birth to their own "adopted" child..."

The woman that has the embryos transferred IS the mother.What else would you call her?! And what do you think happens to all those embryos that people don't use!? Thank GOD we don't have many OCTOMOM'S!

Well, I know what you mean and didn't quite know how else to phrase it and that's why "adopted" is in quotes. Yes- absolutely it's her own child, even if not biologically. I just meant that the embryo was adopted.

My friend and I talked about how it was wonderful that someone was using the fertilized embryos, otherwise they get destroyed! :-(

Hey, I'm on your side! I agree with you 100%. I don't understand why you're getting defensive. We're on the same side here, and this was supposed to be a positive post. :-)

Yes- the LAST thing the world needs is another nutball like Octomom!

fencergal
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I would. When you have no children, you would. You can have the whole experience.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Quoting fencergal:

Yes, I would. When you have no children, you would. You can have the whole experience.

I think it's pretty cool. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)