Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I Need You in the Game’: Wis. Sheriff Tells Residents to Learn How to Use a Gun to Defend Themselves

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

I Need You in the Game’: Wis. Sheriff Tells Residents to Learn How to Use a Gun to Defend Themselves

I Need You in the Game: Wis. Sheriff Tells Residents to Learn How to Use a Gun to Defend Themselves

n this Oct. 11, 2012 file photo, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke talks during a budget hearing in Milwaukee, Wis. The Wisconsin sheriff said he released an ad calling on residents to defend themselves because the old model of having a citizen call 911 and wait for help isn’t always the best option. (AP)

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. has a message for residents: learn how to use a gun.

With budget cutbacks putting a strain on law enforcement, simply calling 911 might not cut it in a life-or-death or situation, Clarke said in a new radio ad this month. Safety is “no longer a spectator sport,” he says. “I need you in the game.”

“With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option,” Clark adds. “You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. But are you prepared?”

“Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there. You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We’re partners now. Can I count on you?” he asks.

The spot has quickly earned criticism, including from the Milwaukee Deputy Sheriffs’ Association and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

Milwaukee Deputy Sheriffs’ Association president Roy Felber told the Associated Press it sounds like a call to vigilantism, while Barrett’s spokeswoman said it sounded like Clarke was “auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie.”

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Sheriff Clark is an idiot who keeps digging himself into a deeper hole. I live an hour from Milwaukee and he's on tv a lot for his lack of being able to run a sheriff department.
Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm betting he's popular now..just saying..  Looks like he's looking out for the people..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Another sign of our government failing us.
gsprofval
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Another sign that U.S. citizens will not stand quietly by while bho ignores the constitution and 2nd amendment.

imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Every citizen should be prepared ...municipalities are laying off more and more policemen because of budget shortfalls. Also, one should be prepared for any emergency...natural disaster or economic crash. There will be civil unrest...food shortages, etc. Some say, it's not a question of if...it's a matter of when.

Kudos to Sheriff Clark. He's a hero, IMO.

Billiejeens
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Doubtful

Quoting Anonymous:

Sheriff Clark is an idiot who keeps digging himself into a deeper hole. I live an hour from Milwaukee and he's on tv a lot for his lack of being able to run a sheriff department.

Billiejeens
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Not in Wisconsin, sir, however wise advice that my household has already undertaken.

Salute Sheriff!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)