Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

At what age did you start making your kids get up and get ready for school on their own? ETA!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 26 Replies

My oldest is 12, and my second is 9. I still set my alarm, get up, get their clothes out of the clothset, toss the clothes at them while telling them to get up, then go pour their cerial, then pack their lunches. At what age did you stop doing this?

Edit: Last night I picked out their clothes ahead of time, packed their lunches and put them in the  fridge, and set the alarm and put it in THEIR room instead of mine, and told them they needed to be a big boy and girl and get up and get ready on their own in the morning, and that I would try to get up to at least keep them company if the baby wasn't being nursed at the time.

After the alarm went off, ds knocked on my door, and I got up, but then the baby started crying, so I got back in bed and nursed her back to sleep while the kids were getting ready. I heard them getting their own cerial and brushing their own teeth, etc... THen, finally the baby was in a deep enough sleep thta I could get up right before they left. Dd, of course, had not brushed her hair, so I told her to do that, then I reminded them they had to be out the door by 7:10. The bus stop is at the end of our (LONG) driveway, and I usually drive them there and sit with them to wait for the bus, but I think when the weather is good they really ought to be able to do that themselves. It was 70 degrees or so here this morning. They did pretty good. :)

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckmama2
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Mine are not old enough to leave them to it themselves and I doubt they will be even as teens. While they will get up and dress and feed themselves with no help from me, i will still be up making sure they are up and moving. My mom never did when I was a teen and I was ALWAYS late for school because I would sleep right through my alarm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Middle school they set alarms. Stopped picking out clothes for them probably like 3rd or 4th grade. Never packed a lunch. Never cooked breakfast or poured cereal. You do wayyyy too much for a 12 and 9 yo. Dh or I was awake but we did not do a lot. HS they did everything, dh would see they were up which 99 % of the time, they were already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4boys2002
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM
My oldest I stopped his sophomore year in high school, ill probably do the same with all my others
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Yeah, I think you're right that I do too much, especially since I have a baby and sometimes when I get up I accidentally wake HER up by getting out of bed and pulling the booby out of her mouth. Then I've got to deal with her PLUS getting the kids ready. You have NEVER cooked bf or poured cerial or packed a lunch??? Do they eat lunch and bf at school??? Cuz I wouldn't think as Kindergarden-ers they could do their own breakfast and lunch??? Or did they??? If they did I'm impressed with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Middle school they set alarms. Stopped picking out clothes for them probably like 3rd or 4th grade. Never packed a lunch. Never cooked breakfast or poured cereal. You do wayyyy too much for a 12 and 9 yo. Dh or I was awake but we did not do a lot. HS they did everything, dh would see they were up which 99 % of the time, they were already.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM
If they are breakfast they ate cereal or granola bars ect. They ate lunch at schools, or packed their own lunches. My kids are grown and out of school now.

Quoting loisl25:

Yeah, I think you're right that I do too much, especially since I have a baby and sometimes when I get up I accidentally wake HER up by getting out of bed and pulling the booby out of her mouth. Then I've got to deal with her PLUS getting the kids ready. You have NEVER cooked bf or poured cerial or packed a lunch??? Do they eat lunch and bf at school??? Cuz I wouldn't think as Kindergarden-ers they could do their own breakfast and lunch??? Or did they??? If they did I'm impressed with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

matofour
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I get up with my kids everyday.
But it's their responsibility to get clothes out and dressed, pack their lunches(they do this the night before), have their stuff ready to go. I can help with breakfast, but at this point they do that as well. They are 8,10,11. I am their mom, not their Slave. They are perfectly capable of doing for themselves. I can supervise, and help. But I won't do it for them.
Most days they fold, and put away a load if laundry as well before school. Gives them something to do while waiting for the bus.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kali_mom
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
IMO I think you are perhaps doing a bit much doing ALL of that for them. At 12 and 9 I think they should get themselves up, and at the kitchen table on their own. Clothes and lunches are ALWAYS the night before. I say give it a try and keep what works for you..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
robbinsroost
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Mine are 8, 6 and 5. They have an alarm clock that gets them up. I try to have clothes matched and ready for them to pick an outfit, but sometimes they pick their own. DH or I will fix their breakfast and pack their lunches. Sometimes they fix breakfast.

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM

My son is 5, so he's young and I'm up and moving everything along. Plus, he goes to private school, so there is no bus (I wouldn't let him ride it this young anyway because I am horribly over protective lol), and therefore I drive him to and pick him up from school.

I can't remember when my mom stopped having to be really active in helping me and my brother make sure we were ready for school. I am going to guess that it was a lot earlier for me than for my brother, though. She babied him so much! When he was in high school, and we'd go on vacation, she would still pack his suit case while he stretched out on the bed with his arms behind his head! I just used to stand in the doorway of his room, watching and shake my head. Now he has a wife who does it for him! :-O !!!!!!

danie24
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM

My daughter is 7.

She is always awake before me. She wakes up around 7am and I set my alarm for 8am. I get up and make her breakfast.

After she eats, she gets dressed (we pick out her outfit together the night before so it's already sitting on her dresser ready to go), she brushes her teeth, puts her lunch (that I made) into her backpack, puts on her coat and boots, and I drive her to school.

Oh, I also brush her hair and braid it or put it in a pony tail. She still can't take care of her own hair.. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN