Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Now that my son is 12, I don't know if I want to take him for checkups anymore...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM
  • 17 Replies

Isn't this the age where the Dr. starts doing things to them that are going to make him feel really violated??? I have no idea how to prepare him for that or explain it to him or make him ok about it. How does a boy go through that kind of exam and NOT feel as if he's been molested? I don't want him to feel like he's been molested! I mean, I know for girls the gynocologist exam is just as bad, but my oldest daughter is 9, so thankfully I don't have to worry about that yet, although now that I mention it I AM starting to worry about that too! HELP! How did you handle it??? Can't I just never take him to the Dr. for a checkup again??? Ok, I know I can't do that. I want him to be healthy.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemoments99
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Your doctor should make you feel comfortable. I would still go to my pediatrition if I could. I loved him. I saw him until I was 18. He said at like 13 or 14 that I could switch to a girl but I didn't want to. He was so nice and always told me what he was going to do and why he was doing it. Like I never had to take my underwear off but he would peak under them and he said he was checking for spots or sores and he looked for like 2 seconds. Easy. I didn't feel violated at all. He's was my doctor and my mom was in the room.   :)

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My ped was a male too. I saw him until I was 18. Really nice man.

Quoting littlemoments99:

Your doctor should make you feel comfortable. I would still go to my pediatrition if I could. I loved him. I saw him until I was 18. He said at like 13 or 14 that I could switch to a girl but I didn't want to. He was so nice and always told me what he was going to do and why he was doing it. Like I never had to take my underwear off but he would peak under them and he said he was checking for spots or sores and he looked for like 2 seconds. Easy. I didn't feel violated at all. He's was my doctor and my mom was in the room.   :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2kids19yrsapart
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Most insurance companies suggest kids seeing their dr once a year for a check up, until they are 18, and anytime they are sick.

loisl25
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I just hate the idea of them feeling violated, but at the same time I do want them to feel comfortable going to the doctor or talking to the doctor about ANYTHING they need to. I mean, I wouldn't want my son to die of testicular cancer someday because he didn't want to go to the Dr.

Perfect.Pixie
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM
My son is the same age. He had his testicles checked lol. The cough test. His dad went with him. I wouldn't stop because of that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Diamondblue1
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I never had thst problem with any pediatrician.
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Not there yet but I assume when ds
Gets older dh will take him in. Also if your son plans on playin school sports he will most Lilkely be required to have a physical done every year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Wow, why do you think this way??? What happened to you? Doctors are there to help. You have warped thinking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Ok so I'll say my pedi when I was little did take advantage of girls and me and he was terminated . But I still old take my child to his apps. I was alone in the room.. I'd send dh with him since at 12 I doubt mom s the Watson he wants there idk. Y oldest is. Only 4.5 now so he isn't yet shy to me.. But by that age I'd have dh go in his earth is really important and I don't want to ignore his health or teach him to not go to check ups. He has to get used to Testical exams many men hate them  a d avoid their spts and end up with cancer. So it's really I portent now to teach him there are things in  life  that are uncomfy but important. Keep commie cation one let him tell you or his dad if he ever feels a dr touches too much or not.. Give him a voice so he feels in control of his body but give him the value of medical exams too!

imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Luckily, my son's best friend warned him ahead of time after his physical. It is over before they can blink.

He'll be OK. ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)