Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Opinions wanted on my home arrangements.

Okay so my husband and I own our house. We purchased it as a foreclosure for dirt cheap and have fixed it up through out the last two years.(it didn't need very much just cosmetic things)  It's coming along very nicely and I can see us living here forever I mean we did get a stellar deal on it with a really low mortgage!

Here's the issue. When we bought this house we only had one kid. Now we have two. This is a four bedroom house but the fourth bedroom is on the first floor and the master and two kids rooms are on the third floor. The fourth bedroom has its own bathroom which is really cool, but the bad is it has a door to the backyard. (No fence yet)Dh and I really want a third baby. We both come from big families and we really love the idea of being a family of five. Our son is 4 and our daughter is 8 months. If we have another baby we have been considering moving Ds to the fourth bedroom. It's just that door down there worries me. He's a very well behaved kid but I'm worried after a few nights he will get to scared, or he will sneak out as a teenager. I know some of you are all about letting kids share a room but I had to share a room with my sister and I hated it because she was always stealing my clothes and ruining them or giving them to her friends also I don't co-sleep with my kids. My kids slept in a bassinet in my room until five months then I put them in there own rooms. So I don't want the baby to wake the kids during the night.  

So what would you suggest? Would you trust a 5 or 6 yr old (he will be between that age) to sleep down there alone? Or just suck it up and let them share? Or would you just move into a bigger house? 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
LittlePistol87
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Every one has given me so many good options! Now I guess I'll just sit down with hubby and discuss what we should do. 

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Buy a different house, or don't have any more kids.  I would NOT sleep on a different FLOOR than my children.  If there is a fire, or even a health emergency, how would you get to them in time?  What if the power went out?  Which kids do you want falling down the stairs in the dark, or trying to climb up them to you?  Having a DOOR in a child's bedroom is crazy dangerous, especially if the PARENTS are on another floor.

And personally, I would never live in a house where the bedrooms are upstairs, or in a basement without a window or door.   We have known people who died in fires.  It is NOT a pretty, or easy way to die.  I know there are ladders you can hook on a window ledge, and throw out to climb down, but seriously--how are you going to do that with a child in your arms? 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Hell no I wouldn't and yes my kids would share.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I would not consider moving. Kids can share a room, my  6 and 7 year old sons do by choice, or, just remove the door and sheet rock it up. Cheapest case, dead bolt it. 

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Please stop being  so dramatic. Kids have slept on different floor in drawers in a different wing from their parents as long as thier have been parents and kids. 

Kids can share - what a novel idea, or door can be removed and a baby monitor added.  

We have been house hunting and the number of mid century houses - cool houses and once expensive houses - where the master is in a seperate wing of all of the family bedrooms are upstairs and the master down is acutally pretty amazing. 

It not ideal for today's More attached "parenting style" but it worked for a lot of people for a very long time and I doubt that kids were dying in house fires in droves. 

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Buy a different house, or don't have any more kids.  I would NOT sleep on a different FLOOR than my children.  If there is a fire, or even a health emergency, how would you get to them in time?  What if the power went out?  Which kids do you want falling down the stairs in the dark, or trying to climb up them to you?  Having a DOOR in a child's bedroom is crazy dangerous, especially if the PARENTS are on another floor.

And personally, I would never live in a house where the bedrooms are upstairs, or in a basement without a window or door.   We have known people who died in fires.  It is NOT a pretty, or easy way to die.  I know there are ladders you can hook on a window ledge, and throw out to climb down, but seriously--how are you going to do that with a child in your arms? 

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Get a contractor to eliminate the door, make it a window. Close it off. For me I would never feel my child was safe with that door in their room.  

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

So true kids can share and it's good for them too. 

Quoting momto3B:

Please stop being  so dramatic. Kids have slept on different floor in drawers in a different wing from their parents as long as thier have been parents and kids. 

Kids can share - what a novel idea, or door can be removed and a baby monitor added.  

We have been house hunting and the number of mid century houses - cool houses and once expensive houses - where the master is in a seperate wing of all of the family bedrooms are upstairs and the master down is acutally pretty amazing. 

It not ideal for today's More attached "parenting style" but it worked for a lot of people for a very long time and I doubt that kids were dying in house fires in droves. 

Quoting sabrtooth1:

lostosbourne
by Audi on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Would you consider you and your SO taking that room and letting the kids have the upstairs??

wedding tickers

Audi aka LostOsbourne

SAMandy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Your two options have been pretty well laid out by previous posters. If you and dh have renovated the house so far, you should have the tools and knowledge to remove the downstairs door and doorframe, get a bit of insulation and close that door up. Doing a window would actually cost more (casement, glass etc). The room obviously already has a window.

I would personally let the two youngest share for a few years until your ds is a bit older before sending him downstairs alone. He still seems a bit young to be down there alone. Sharing is great and an easy, affordable solution. It just lets him mature a bit more. AND gives you and DH time to wait for warmer weather to close in that door.

Good luck! For everything...! :)

Rhonda142
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)