Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions wanted on my home arrangements.

Okay so my husband and I own our house. We purchased it as a foreclosure for dirt cheap and have fixed it up through out the last two years.(it didn't need very much just cosmetic things)  It's coming along very nicely and I can see us living here forever I mean we did get a stellar deal on it with a really low mortgage!

Here's the issue. When we bought this house we only had one kid. Now we have two. This is a four bedroom house but the fourth bedroom is on the first floor and the master and two kids rooms are on the third floor. The fourth bedroom has its own bathroom which is really cool, but the bad is it has a door to the backyard. (No fence yet)Dh and I really want a third baby. We both come from big families and we really love the idea of being a family of five. Our son is 4 and our daughter is 8 months. If we have another baby we have been considering moving Ds to the fourth bedroom. It's just that door down there worries me. He's a very well behaved kid but I'm worried after a few nights he will get to scared, or he will sneak out as a teenager. I know some of you are all about letting kids share a room but I had to share a room with my sister and I hated it because she was always stealing my clothes and ruining them or giving them to her friends also I don't co-sleep with my kids. My kids slept in a bassinet in my room until five months then I put them in there own rooms. So I don't want the baby to wake the kids during the night.  

So what would you suggest? Would you trust a 5 or 6 yr old (he will be between that age) to sleep down there alone? Or just suck it up and let them share? Or would you just move into a bigger house? 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I like this idea best! I also would not feel comfortable having a young child on the first floor with me upstairs.

Quoting kam013:

I would move the master downstairs and make the appropriate renovations to the bathroom when time permits.  New furniture that would fit properly would obviously need to be purchased. 

We had this same situation in our old house and found that we were never comfortable having one of our children downstairs.  

I would also consider taking the current upstairs master and putting up a wall dividing it into 2 rooms if it is large enough.  That way you could still have an extra room for guests.  It could also become your workout space, office or playroom.    

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I know that you are clear that you didn't like having to share a bedroom.  But, I wouldn't put a child alone downstairs.  I think that they are too young now & later they can sneak out.  Sorry, but I would go with the sharing idea.  Also, I would want a study, so that is what we would use that extra bedroom for instead of a guest bedroom probably.

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

kam013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Leobaby2007:

I like this idea best! I also would not feel comfortable having a young child on the first floor with me upstairs.

Quoting kam013:

I would move the master downstairs and make the appropriate renovations to the bathroom when time permits.  New furniture that would fit properly would obviously need to be purchased. 

We had this same situation in our old house and found that we were never comfortable having one of our children downstairs.  

I would also consider taking the current upstairs master and putting up a wall dividing it into 2 rooms if it is large enough.  That way you could still have an extra room for guests.  It could also become your workout space, office or playroom.    

I would actually like to add to this, since we are big on doing a lot of our own home renovations.  I would still make the downstairs bedroom the master and keep the door.  It doesn't look like you mentioned what kind of door it was in your OP, but assuming it's not already you could potentially, (in your own time frame obviously) put in a slider or french doors to your backyard with a nice patio or deck off of your bedroom.  Would be nice for quiet summer nights with your DH having a drink and relaxing.  Maybe a nice little chiminea out there too.  Just my thoughts.

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Quoting kam013:

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Quoting kam013:

I would actually like to add to this, since we are big on doing a lot of our own home renovations.  I would still make the downstairs bedroom the master and keep the door.  It doesn't look like you mentioned what kind of door it was in your OP, but assuming it's not already you could potentially, (in your own time frame obviously) put in a slider or french doors to your backyard with a nice patio or deck off of your bedroom.  Would be nice for quiet summer nights with your DH having a drink and relaxing.  Maybe a nice little chiminea out there too.  Just my thoughts.

^^^ Yes. This would be very nice. :-)

copperked
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:18 AM

There are a lot of really great suggestions on here already so I would say, pick your favorites and try them out, maybe give it a couple of years and see how well the kids do and if any issues arise, and then decide whether you want to stay or move. Also, I shared a room with my two older sisters and at one point one sister (the other had left for college) and three female cousins. I loved it, but then I was the youngest girl so I was the one who drove my sisters/cousins crazy getting in to their stuff. lol

Pink.Frosting
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I would move into the downstairs bedroom, despite the fact that it's not the, "Master."  Then all the kids upstairs.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:17 AM
They can share for now and then you can decide on the room situation later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
linaS.83
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Put a fence but I still will never let my son sleep downstairs alone what if someone get into the house I am paranoidal I know but for me it is better safe than sorry

linaS.83
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

This sounds really nice.

Quoting kam013:

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Quoting kam013:

KTU
by Kim on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I would suggest the baby share a room with a sibling until they get older. My almost 3 year old and my 15 month old both wake up at night, but they hardly ever wake the other.

Personally, I would never want my children that far away from me in the house (at least not until they were older and knew how to handle situations like a fire).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)